Taranis Enters Meltdown

Is open mode in taranis recommended today?
Or do you think there are commanders who try to kill everyone else?
I heard of one bad actor and they showed up in my contacts list(the one which tells you which players you were in an instance with), but didn’t get bothered by them. Although I also was just sitting completely stationary a dozen or so kilometers from the Titan at 14% heat, so it would’ve been difficult to find my ship in that.

It’s probably less favorable of a PvP/‘ganking’ spot due to the inherent dangers of the environment and/or needing to bring something that is of no use to someone who thinks they need to bring their PvP needs to other players instead of seeking out willing participants. Or targets that might actually be equipped properly to put up a fight instead of shieldless AX ships.

We're going in there for watching an epic event, be it for fun, remorse or anything. I always do that in Open, anything else would be not fitting. YMMV.

Dying, as in games and not being permanent, included. I 'died' more times than during 2+ years yesterday only, but wonderful fish trait, it was worth it.

O7,
🙃

Not had time to play, and one down already! sigh

I sorta want to pop along for this timed event that's been announced for later, do I still need a full AX build with anti-caustic sinks and the like just to spectate? I doubt I have time to do a "proper" build. My Anaconda was set up to support other players in regular AX Instances, not this.

do I still need a full AX build with anti-caustic sinks and the like just to spectate
Only the caustic sinks - repulsion wave is disabled and it seems fairly safe to stick around the inner edge of the asteroid field(?) without getting a giant swarm of Thargoids ripping through your ship.

I’d still pack a few hull reinforcements just in case.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Is open mode in taranis recommended today?
I think the bigger issue with going in Open will be whether the instancing holds up. It's very much dependant on who you're with.

I was in a PG with a few other people from yesterday afternoon until Taranis went down. We only had 2 dodgy instances they whole time, unfortunately one of those was right at the end which meant we missed the seeing the killing blow.

Not had time to play, and one down already! sigh

I sorta want to pop along for this timed event that's been announced for later, do I still need a full AX build with anti-caustic sinks and the like just to spectate? I doubt I have time to do a "proper" build. My Anaconda was set up to support other players in regular AX Instances, not this.
A ship that can go over 450m/s for Hyper/Interdictions, a couple of Caustic sink launchers you can buy from Rescue ships, and some hull reinforcements.

They've removed the EMP pulse as you approach the titan, so you just need to deal with the corrosion on the way in.

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to engineer something a little faster than the Anaconda... Maybe a new Krait II or Mamba perhaps? I'm purely there to observe, so weapons not really important as I'll run from anything that looks at me funny...

Maybe a new Krait II or Mamba perhaps?
Both work. I’ve been going there in a Krait and not been having issues. Especially with the repulsor offline, a single engineered caustic sink is enough when thrusters are fully engineered. You may take two since you won’t need a pulse neutralizer. If you got a spare low emissions plant around fitting that will also help you hide from anything angry. Whether that be Thargoids or humans not happy about the Titan’s fate.

There'll always be some. Bring a fast ship, if worried--Phantom has probably the best speed-to-hull ratio; Mamba is the fastest; Orca might work, too. Made my way to the Maelstrom now to avoid the "rush hour" and parked my Krait MKII--a wannabe in a 'Conda pulled a few times, but seriously, who even tries to gank in a 'conda?🤡

Only the caustic sinks - repulsion wave is disabled and it seems fairly safe to stick around the inner edge of the asteroid field(?) without getting a giant swarm of Thargoids ripping through your ship.

Going there today is dead easy, of sorts. Get as many caustic sinks as possible (lol, for credits only!!), then boost boost boost, loosely heading at the red cloud and the lightning bolts until you finally (unexpectedly, most of the time) see the Thing. From there, you're on your own. There may be one or two Interceptors firing still, if you hang out too long at the core, but it's a cakewalk really. No more Glaives or such, but you may still be intercepted when nearing the Taranis POI. Go there, in Open preferably, it's epic!

O7,
🙃

NB. The caustic sink works as follows: once you hit a caustic cloud or something similar, it works as a sink, collecting the stuff. Once it's full, you have to discard it, via a controller button, there's no key for that. Otherwise you will take caustic damage as usual. The caustic sink, if applied right, spares you from a lot of damage when nearing the Titan. The area directly around the Titan is not caustic btw, you only need the thing for passage.

Futhermore, you'll see a lot of vents emanating stuff, in a geyser-like manner. These are not harmful (anymore), you can safely fly into one and take pictures.

The other tool, the Thargoid Pulse Neutraliser, is not required anymore today, at least at Taranis. That one let's you pass through the pulse the Titan emanates, and may be useful in preparing future breakdowns ;)

Last edited:
who even tries to gank in a 'conda?
Maybe it was a funny guy trying to run a thermal conduit beam Conda. I haven’t been interdicted by any of the many hollow squares going around so far, but with that many targets around, I probably just got lucky either with selection or instancing.

I can’t say I know too much about gank evasion, but I have found toggling off flight assist while boosting, with a slight roll and downward thrust can make Scouts miss quite easily when interdicted. Some limited success with that against Glaive and Scythe fire.

Why don’t I use verts [much]? Because an Xbox controller is restricted, I refuse to use M/KB for flying ships, and I haven’t made an investment into flight sticks and/or a throttle.

Also, I’m CET so I’m guessing this thing will happen shortly before local 8 PM. Tell me if I am correct so I don’t bash my head in over my inability to work with most timezones except the US ones.

I don't know. I just went there with the stuffs you said, all I encountered was a big red cloud and caustic damage eating away my hull. Had to leave before it would destroy the ship. I don't know what I'm supposed to do there and frankly I think it's a bit late to learn the mechanics just to watch some fireworks that's supposed to happen two hours from now. This whole Thargoid stuff was inaccessible for too many from the beginning and I'm kinda glad they will be done with it soon.

I don't know. I just went there with the stuffs you said, all I encountered was a big red cloud and caustic damage eating away my hull. Had to leave before it would destroy the ship. I don't know what I'm supposed to do there and frankly I think it's a bit late to learn the mechanics just to watch some fireworks that's supposed to happen two hours from now. This whole Thargoid stuff was inaccessible for too many from the beginning and I'm kinda glad they will be done with it soon.

Caustic damage will be prevented whilst the caustic sinks have capacity, if they don't, simply put in a new one as long as they last. If you still get caustic at the destination, burn it away, raising temp beyond 200% or whatever. At the Core, it's safe.

Thargoid stuff never has been inaccessible, and the very fact you could completely ignore it until today is proof enough that any discussion on the topic is irrelevant altogether.

Hey, why not simply come along with us and marvel at what's going to happen tonight?

Remember Bruce?

Source: https://twitter.com/Bruce_Garrido/status/1763911668826779841

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
On a whim, I bought a Clipper last time I was in-game, planning to tinker with it. Would it be at all viable for visiting the event location? If not, I'll just tweak my existing Mamba, that I've never really used.

On a whim, I bought a Clipper last time I was in-game, planning to tinker with it. Would it be at all viable for visiting the event location? If not, I'll just tweak my existing Mamba, that I've never really used.
Clipper is totally fine and it’s got pretty good speed(it used to be a popular choice earlier on, in fact, if memory serves).

Design principles for Titan/Maelstrom builds don’t really vary that much, but of course attention needs to be paid to a ship’s nuances.

Clipper is totally fine and it’s got pretty good speed(it used to be a popular choice earlier on, in fact, if memory serves).

Design principles for Titan/Maelstrom builds don’t really vary that much, but of course attention needs to be paid to a ship’s nuances.

Thanks, ended up going with the Mamba, as I'd already done some engineering to it. It's pretty fast. Just need to get some more hull reinforcements and a Guardian FSD boost to make the trip quicker. Then it's off to a Rescue ship. Where's the nearest one to Taranis? I can see the icon, but my map has gone screwy since U18 and I cannot actually select it.... I can, however, search for systems...

Edit: Urgh. Jumped into my Mamba and getting massive controller (HOTAS) drift... other ships fine

Top Bottom