Text chat in VR.. how?

This thread is just sad. Is there really a problem with people not knowing how to type without looking at their hands?
I thought they taught that in elementary school since the 90's. It's basically what replaced cursive writing as a necessary skill to be taught.

my keyboard doesn't even have letters. https://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-ultimate/
even if it did, they wouldn't match what i type since it's dvorak.

Touch-typing can be hard when your chair moves, the keyboard moves, and the table the keyboard is on moves (living room setup). I usually have to feel around for a bit before I find F and J, which for some reason have low-profile bumps on my laptop, rather than the more pronounced ones on proper keyboards.

Oh noob question how to link voice attack to ingame comms chat ?
providing you have your elite dangerous profile selected in voice attack, then just open comms, and speak the command you set voice attack to use.
eg. I have a pre set message to say “hello”.
so I open comms and say hello, and voice attack will type hello into the comms type box.
you can, of course have voice attack open comms, type “hello”, and then close comms.
there are many YouTube vids showing how to use voice attack

voice to text. It's even build right in to Windows 10. Just press the Windows Key + H to activate it in any text field. Say what you want to say, then say "Stop Dictating". Poof, there's your text. Works 100% in Elite.

Unless you’re trying to type system names and have no idea how to pronounce them. Or you want to use speech recognition in a language other than your system language, because for some stupid reason Windows 10 doesn’t support this, even if you install the packages for speech recognition for that other language. I had to completely switch my W10 to English to train the system on my voice for Voice Attack because reasons. (After switching back to German the English recognition itself worked then, mostly, unless it reverted to German, which it did spontaneously from time to time.)

I would like to just be able to spin up the onscreen keyboard that appears in the WMR Desktop app whenever you click onto any text field, just inside Elite.

All I wanted was a dictaphone type thing where u open the chat get a flashing cursor and talk and it turns it into text. Yeah I got chaff countermeasures sink etc all on voice. But just being able to talk and either be heard ie discord teamspeak stylee.. or converts to text...whichever.....both@!

Oh noob question how to link voice attack to ingame comms chat ?

You can link any spoken command to a series of key presses that are made in the currently active window/running application.

So if you were to say "Anaconda" you could programme that spoken command (when recognised) to implement a key press that opens the quick comm's box and then after a short pause* (10ths of a second) inserts any text you choose... this is not the same as inserting single key presses (which would take forever to programme.. it inserts a specific string of characters.

* It's always a good idea to have a pause after a command which need to swap menu's or open a dialog box etc.

You quickly learn when using VA that saying what you mean doesn't always work best and that short easily recognised commands are better. You can of course associate longer text responses (whole sentences) to simple spoken commands. In fact you don't even need to have a spoken command as VA is quite able to initiate any command from key or joystick button presses.

I use commands like the above example when bounty hunting in a wing to alert fellow wing members what new target I have spotted etc. So I'd say "Anaconda", the quick comm's would open, the word "Anaconda" would appear and be sent, the comm's box would close.

Last edited:
You could use Voice Attack with phonetic alphabet commands, e.g. when I say 'Alpha' press A (Including Space Bar, Enter and punctuation). I was thinking of doing this myself.

Or you do the easy, spend a Friday evening and a Saturday afternoon, and learn to touch type. I mean, secretaries have been doing it for over 50 years. It's not that hard, and even if you're missing fingers or an entire hand, you can still touch-type. I'm doing it right now. Learning... it's a good thing.

Oh, I know, I know... mé lαngüagé löök like this... yeah? And they make keyboards for that too. Funny, my English keyboard has all those characters too, as alt+####, which is on either side of the keyboard, and the number pad on the right. Didn't even have to look.

K3.jpg

They even have them in Chinese... a little muscle memory, and that funny little bump on the "J" key is all it takes.

Y'all are great, really, why so much resistance to simple solutions to self-created problems?

Or you do the easy, spend a Friday evening and a Saturday afternoon, and learn to touch type. I mean, secretaries have been doing it for over 50 years. It's not that hard, and even if you're missing fingers or an entire hand, you can still touch-type. I'm doing it right now. Learning... it's a good thing.

Oh, I know, I know... mé lαngüagé löök like this... yeah? And they make keyboards for that too. Funny, my English keyboard has all those characters too, as alt+####, which is on either side of the keyboard, and the number pad on the right. Didn't even have to look.

K3.jpg

They even have them in Chinese... a little muscle memory, and that funny little bump on the "J" key is all it takes.

Y'all are great, really, why so much resistance to simple solutions to self-created problems?
So funny when you miss your start key and end up typing everything offset 1 key to the left or right!

Touch type ..m8 I struggle to type ordinarily lol. We were not taught this skill in elementary school here in the UK. Wish we was. Would be more practical than religious studies hehehe

Touch type ..m8 I struggle to type ordinarily lol. We were not taught this skill in elementary school here in the UK. Wish we was. Would be more practical than religious studies hehehe

I've looked into history and previous posts and there was a CB type Ww2 styled comms system in-game perhaps just on Xbox platform. Not sure how it worked I only watched a tube vid but could've been just fake.
So back to original post..aside from. Touch typing And other methods which seem archaic in the year 3000+. You would think a voice based comms system like Teamspeak or discord would be by default, the regular comms for interstellar chat. In fact I'm puzzled as to why voice isn't enabled. Lag/latency?
Too much voice all grabbing air time and talking over one another? (Have 40 channels like cb).
Have encrypted ones have military and wing ones etc.
But the game lacks communication in the black. Some like that. Some don't. I just think the choice would be nice.

I play with a HTC Vive pro in VR ( and love it) but I have never found a good solution for text chatting in VR. I have some half- solutions using speech to text in Voiceattack but nothing is really satisfactory. This limits player interactions, as it's voice chat or nothing, many people prefer text chat anyway, plus a sleeping toddler next door.

Has anyone found a solution that works?

Yep. I don't do it. :)

That's not entirely true - while I prefer voice, I have on occasion been forced to use chat. I have the keyboard on my lap in such situations, and will just pop up the headset to type. I can touch-type, so it doesn't take long (and I don't always need to lift the headset, depending what I'm typing).

Top Bottom