Thargoid Interactions

Credit to AdmlAdama in Canonn discord for noticing this:

Something worth exploring further. The central logogram for aggressive Thargoids *might* have a different orientation to non-aggressive ones.

This came up on the Canonn discord earlier, and after some googling I think it warrents a more serious check.

Two images of scouts I googled where the logogram is visible:

elite-dangerous-core-16.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Three images from the discord chat from a couple of days ago when someone was scanning Thargoids that jumped in to assist scouts:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Reddit image of a crapload of Logograms (note how all the Cyclops ones have the normal orientation, most of the Baselisk have the normal orientation, and then around half the Medusa have it inverted):

rocjv7nhg9j11.jpg

And finally, the Hydra, which has the logo inverted:

-z3_ml8N6P7-d26_mgqQ1J4ZXjRqIWXh1Hk1V_YhawP7gN0wX4g1J2qzuyw%3Dw1200-h630-p

It's worth noting that a lot of the logograms I've seen with inverted central parts on Interceptors appear to be French language UI, so I wouldn't rule out any UI language specific bugs when checking this.

So finally...the hypothesis:

Peaceful Thargoids have the normal upright central logogram orientation.
Aggressive Thargoids (Scouts, and Interceptors that assist scouts) have it inverted.

To disprove this, all you need is to find a scout with the non-inverted central image, or a peaceful Thargoid with an inverted central image, or a Thargoid that warps in to assist scouts with a non-inverted central image. Easy right? Be sure to specify your UI language so we can rule out language specific bugs.

Barnacles appear to have the inverted logogram. I'm not sure what that means.

Edit: I may have been mistaken about the usual orientation of barnacle logograms.

Last edited:
I am currently unable to get the Thargoid surface structures to accept the Ancient Key (same design basically as Relic) into their machine to initiate a purge. Anyone else had luck?

Following up my above post...

I’ve been thinking about the orientation of Barnacle logograms and have come to the conclusion that Thargoids view them from above, and Thargoids have their logograms above their eye.

If you line up a barnacle logograms like that, it’s the original orientation, not the inverted one.

New Hypothesis:

FD flipped the central logogram around when they launched 3.0.

I can't find a single Thargoid with a non-inverted logogram, and all recent images of the logogram appear to be inverted, whereas all the images from last year are the right way up.

I've been doing some more googling of images and videos of Thargoids while checking the dates. I'm now convinced FD just flipped the central logo around 180 degrees when scouts were introduced. Every video produced before has the original orientation, while every video since has it flipped.

Ah well...I was hoping for something more interesting :)

So it turns out that the logograms on the outside of the Thargoid always had the centre image in that orientation, and it was just the UI that was the wrong way around. FD apparently fixed it with 3.0.

So false alarm everyone. Carry on :)

So I took an Ancient Key out to a Hydra, reaction was fairly comparable to that of any other Thargoid.

[video=youtube;ZoJRIEJI1dI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJRIEJI1dI[/video]

What's a notable difference is the absence of any red colouration/glow from the Hydra, like in this video where I have guardian cargo near a basilisk:
[video=youtube;HVbtFqocuKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVbtFqocuKI[/video]

Of course, we'll have all seen the Hydra's green glow is quite luminescent compared to other interceptors, which have a more yellowed hue when doing most things (again, refer to the basilisk video above).

I wonder if this is noteworthy of anything.... I mean, we said the Thargoids glow red when they are angry... if the Hydra doesn't glow red when it's angry, maybe that's an indication that it's aware it doesn't need to show it's angry to invoke fear... for example.

Was looking at the systems in the bubble the Thargoids have been attacking, and noticed two common themes.

1) They have an ammonia world in them.
2) They were heavily UA bombed in the case of those systems attacked without an Ammonia world.

So I took an Ancient Key out to a Hydra, reaction was fairly comparable to that of any other Thargoid.

What's a notable difference is the absence of any red colouration/glow from the Hydra, like in this video where I have guardian cargo near a basilisk:

Of course, we'll have all seen the Hydra's green glow is quite luminescent compared to other interceptors, which have a more yellowed hue when doing most things (again, refer to the basilisk video above).

I wonder if this is noteworthy of anything.... I mean, we said the Thargoids glow red when they are angry... if the Hydra doesn't glow red when it's angry, maybe that's an indication that it's aware it doesn't need to show it's angry to invoke fear... for example.

My tests with the key showed the same thing, it is different reaction in comparison to other guardian items.

Dropped a key, thargoid scans it, launches drones, stares at the key and fires, 2 volleys and the key dies.

Notable difference is the Thargoid is not hostile to the player ,just the key. Once key has been eliminated the thargoid continues to look at other things then wake out.

Tested with regular Guardian relic, similar but turns hostile to the player , kills the relic and shoots at the player.

Reason key is different ,unknown. Possible behavior programming oversight or purposeful for reasons we do not know yet.

My tests with the key showed the same thing, it is different reaction in comparison to other guardian items.

Dropped a key, thargoid scans it, launches drones, stares at the key and fires, 2 volleys and the key dies.

Notable difference is the Thargoid is not hostile to the player ,just the key. Once key has been eliminated the thargoid continues to look at other things then wake out.

Tested with regular Guardian relic, similar but turns hostile to the player , kills the relic and shoots at the player.

Reason key is different ,unknown. Possible behavior programming oversight or purposeful for reasons we do not know yet.

The Guardian lore entries describe why they attack anything related to the Guardians. In the case of the key, it's not stolen. It's given to you. That's likely the difference. The Thargoids will attack you if you steal Guardian or Thargoid tech.

Intriguing. I've never noticed the thargoid turn hostile like that. I'll need to do some verification.

So it turns out that the logograms on the outside of the Thargoid always had the centre image in that orientation, and it was just the UI that was the wrong way around. FD apparently fixed it with 3.0.

So false alarm everyone. Carry on :)

That's a common theme in other games as well, especially in regards to anti-aliasing. Happens in Kerbal Space Program if you turn AA off which causes all sorts of HUD issues with things getting flipped.

We not reveal our secret, but this video we made will change things in the game.
The first xeno ally wing in action. You can see how we communicate with alien, and let the medusa fight with us again another commanders ;) in open at CG

[video=youtube;mhCL9UYnfqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhCL9UYnfqo[/video]

We not reveal our secret, but this video we made will change things in the game.
The first xeno ally wing in action. You can see how we communicate with alien, and let the medusa fight with us again another commanders ;) in open at CG

Okay okay, tell me the secret. So flying in open in a cg, is changing everything? Ufff i must have missed that.
Btw. you ally killed you? Why was that then?

Top Bottom