Thargoid invasion - Next target systems?

Well, third Titan visit with my cold running Corvette (17% with shield) and after getting my caustics handed to me within 30 seconds, I finally learned that I have be vewwy vewwy quite and stick to the surface, close enough to smell Oya, front facing the core, like 200m away. Do damage when exposed, flee vertically up (don't even need to boost), bring down some scouts, go back, stick to the surface like a rather large and glowy tick. Repeat.

Is getting to the titan just pure luck?

I can't even seem to get to the titan, two out 4 times on jumping to the star system, I get pulled out of hyperdrive by the goids, FSD immediately goes down ship gets blown up.

out of the two times I get to the system, I get immediately interdicted fsd goes down again can't jump or boost away.

Got a chieftain, low emissions power plant, caustic launchers.

Is there something I am missing here?

Edit: Made it to the titan, after two more attempts. Crusied around looking for the vents to open up. None did like it was asleep or something. Then got my teeth kicked in, I lasted about two minutes looking for those vents. Didn't get any damage in or anything. I think Ill pass on trying to get those rewards, getting to the titan isn't exactly fun. Pretty cool to see though.

Last edited:

Very likely yes; there is a random element to the encounters which occur along the way, but now that Glaive interdictions have been removed, ultimately reaching the Titan should be consistent! Hyperspace and interdiction encounters are similar for any Thargoid system, where the only Titan system difference is that it occurs more often.

If a hyperspace encounter can cause too much damage, it is worth checking first your Chieftain modules—are you able to post a ED Shipyard link? Normally an anti-xeno Chieftain would have two small and one large Module reinforcement plus the three Military modules filled with Hull reinforcement, although it is best to see your present approach before one can be sure.

I can't even seem to get to the titan, two out 4 times on jumping to the star system, I get pulled out of hyperdrive by the goids, FSD immediately goes down ship gets blown up.

out of the two times I get to the system, I get immediately interdicted fsd goes down again can't jump or boost away.

Edit: Made it to the titan, after two more attempts. Crusied around looking for the vents to open up. None did like it was asleep or something. Then got my teeth kicked in, I lasted about two minutes looking for those vents. Didn't get any damage in or anything. I think Ill pass on trying to get those rewards, getting to the titan isn't exactly fun. Pretty cool to see though.
Escaping the hyperdiction or interdiction is essentially just speed. As soon as you have control boost away from the goids. You need a reasonably fast ship but that's all there is to it.

At the titan I listen for something that sounds like a chippy. If you hear anything that sounds like a deep fat fryer that's the time to go to the vents. When the vents open it's all about speed to hit as many as you can before they close, immediately drop under the titan and look for the ring of lights underneath. The pineapple will drop out of there.

Last edited:

Submit, boost, activate FSD again. Repeat. Lots.

You do need a ship fast enough to get away, though. My first attempt at a AX ship was a FGS, back when we started dealing with Titan invasions, and those interdictions were invariably fatal to it. Eventually I switched to a Krait II instead, and it survived a lot better. I've now converted it over to a bomber for the Titan attacks, and actually getting there is not usually a problem, although I do lost hull slowly during the actual Titan runs, and getting the attention of the Thargoids flying around it can be a pain to shake off. Fortunately they seems to lose interest if you get far enough away from it.

The low heat profile of the ship also seems to throw off pursuers a bit when you're intercepted, although that might just be my perception.

I did once, at Leigong, get intercepted by something that moved even faster than my Krait at full boost. That ended badly. But it doesn't seem to be common.

I hear that at least one of the Titans is some stupid distance from the main star, though. I'm not looking forward to all the interceptions on that one.

I did once, at Leigong, get intercepted by something that moved even faster than my Krait at full boost. That ended badly. But it doesn't seem to be common.

Glaive interdictions have been removed since update 18!

I hear that at least one of the Titans is some stupid distance from the main star, though. I'm not looking forward to all the interceptions on that one.

T. Hadad is almost 40000 Ls from arrival, although whether that Titan or T. Oya at 6000 Ls, it is very much more convenient to fit the new Supercruise Overcharge! I placed a little note about that in the weekly overview, but more fully:
  • For T. Oya, try docking at Sabine Gateway in the Lhou Mans system.
  • Look for Frame Shift Drive (SCO) in the Outfitting.
  • Use the boost button during Supercruise to activate and deactivate it.
They cannot be engineered so your range will be at most ~10 Ly—luckily, Lhou Mans is only 9.5 Ly! HIP 21165 is another option with SCO available at 8.3 Ly.

I found fitting a small beam laser with Thermal Vent being quite useful when it comes to survival, once you're there, poking the Titan's hull with it reduces heat to below 5% which can help getting off the various Thargoids' radar. Otherwise, one fire group for approach (3 caustic sinks + Thargoid pulse neutraliser), one for bombing (nanite launcher plus AX MCs or missiles plus beam) and one for the pineapple (AX MCs or missiles plus beam). Ship full of HRPs and some MRPs. I also use a biweave shield which comes in handy once there, you can replenish it while cooling down with the beam at some safe spot. Using my standard AX Krait II with drag drives, so it's not meta. Three interdictions or so I take for granted, regardless of SCO or not, but just boost away until you can jump out. Otherwise, when dropping into the Titan, just boost, boost boost in the direction of the Titan (centre of the red cloud, if you see laser fire, follow that, ignore the marker), try to evade the caustic obstacles on the way and watch out for the pulse, neutralise that with the neutraliser and so on until you're there. It's not too difficult, if even me can do it, anybody can ;)

EDIT: Some more on fighting the thing itself. Titan has two sides, one with the heat vents (8 of them, one on each of the 'arms') and the other one with the thermal core in the middle. Nanite torpedoes are fire and forget, wait until the heat vents open (glowing orange), target such with the nanite launcher and just press the button. It will glow blue once the torpedo hits. At one point you'll get a message that the Titan overheats. Fly around the thing (fast!) to the center of the other side. The thermal core (pineapple) will be exposed, hit it with all your AX weapons (missiles are best) while you can until it retracts again. As soon as that happens, the Titan will spawn a rather deadly magnetic (blue) field, so better leave that spot immediately. Best way is directly away upward the core, as that's the center, boost! At safe distance, turn around and repeat. In a PG, roles are usually split between bombers and the people at the thermal core, so you could simply go there and wait for the thing to come out, keeping cool by help of the beam. And dont mind the UI clutter, just keep track of the things directly firing at you. In most cases, you can simply fly around the thing and hide in some 'valley' at 2% heat or so, but not always. Avoid fighting anything else than the Titan itself while there, except some turrets that may otherwise be able to hit you while clinging to the surface. Or that's how I do it at least.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
M. Hadad overview for week 73, ready to follow any Titan-melting, capsule-rescuing and explosion-enjoying which may occur!

Alert​

The main focus this week should be a fairly simple clearing of seven relatively weak Alerts, the result of M. Hadad attempting to take back the attackers we removed all at once a few weeks ago, but with many stronger cases prevented. The best approach will be simply Research cargo delivered immediately, plus any Orthrus-hunting of course. Unlike with the Alert wave at M. Oya, we have Supercruise Overcharge now!
  • Col 285 Sector RM-B b14-7, 25.9 Ly.
  • Col 285 Sector OR-B b14-9, 25.3 Ly.
  • Col 285 Sector OR-B b14-8, 25.2 Ly.
  • HIP 29217, 25.1 Ly.
  • Col 285 Sector OB-D b13-0, 24.1 Ly.
  • Col 285 Sector VS-Z b14-6, 23.5 Ly.
  • Col 285 Sector VS-Z b14-1, 22.8 Ly.

Spire​

While peripheral progress will help those Alerts plus two Control systems, a Spire siege is not something I would suggest or request this week due to the relatively lower total impact it will have this week, as opposed to next week in which it ought to start reaching stronger Control systems. From there M. Hadad will start to need at least 66% weekly peripheral progress to maintain rolling removal of Spire sites; unlike M. Oya, it has several such systems which will congest the periphery more than they help to progress it!

The outermost Spire site is at the peripheral system Col 285 Sector VS-Z b14-3, although notably the inner Col 285 Sector US-Z b14-7 is a quite popular alternative!

Control​

There are two preventable attackers this week:
  • Col 285 Sector SH-B b14-2, 3995 strength, non-peripheral.
    This will be the first INIV target after T. Oya, because that will allow time to gauge Spire activity.
    This target is already open for Scout samples sold to INV. Light of Achenar at Col 285 Sector SH-B b14-5!
  • Col 285 Sector PM-B b14-1, 3113 strength, peripheral, 6% progress already.
    This system has the most to gain from peripheral progress, so it would be wise to leave it until later.
    Come the time, Scout samples can be sold to INV Astral Flame at Col 285 Sector NR-B b14-6.
The other peripheral Control system Col 285 Sector SH-B b14-6 with 2826 strength is also a target this week, for which we have 693 stored already. As above, this ought to come later once we know the approximate peripheral progress!

Beyond that:
  • Non-peripheral Control systems in strength order are naturally good choices for increasing the periphery value for the following week.
  • Some week 74 single attackers should be Col 285 Sector VS-Z b14-0 (3509), Col 285 Sector SH-B b14-4 (4667) and HR 2204 (14496).

news

Attachments

• 20240419150531_1.jpg
    20240419150531_1.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 78
Yeah.... the whole HIP22460 thing has me stumped... it's not even at the center of this war. It's just there. On the side. Glowing & doing it's thing.
A Checkov's gun like no other.

We haven't heard from Seo Jin-Ae for a long time, either. I wonder how she's doing?

Yeah.... the whole HIP22460 thing has me stumped... it's not even at the center of this war. It's just there. On the side. Glowing & doing it's thing.
Was there after the update too. Hasn’t changed the slightest bit.

The bright side to this is I can (maybe?) take an FSD booster with me into the Titan system to make the back and forth from there and rescue megaship/back faster. Or not need to swap out overcharge drive for a standard FSD. I do wonder what the drawbacks of applying this immunity modification might be.

The not so bright side? If the Thargoids didn’t have a reason to be even more annoyed, poking the Titans with Guardian sticks ought to do it.

We haven't heard from Seo Jin-Ae for a long time, either. I wonder how she's doing?
Probably using a lot of painkillers or migraine medication.

Funny how we’re making far more technological advancement during the war than the last… how many years? Even if some of it is by necessity only dedicated to the war effort itself. But I can’t help to feel like something will backfire horribly about this at some point.

I mean, it’s not exactly like using Guardian toys will make the Thargoids less angry.

Top Bottom