Thargoid invasion - Next target systems?

Awara was broken yesterday, we filled the bar for second phase but it never finished and was throwing endless hordes of clops and lisks on us. I made 250M+ and left the battle.
Today it was ok at Haisheng Colony, 3 Hydras at the end of the CZ! Is it very high intensity when 3 Hydras enter the battle?

Though that just raises the question: if expanding into unpopulated systems is generally harmful to the Thargoids, why are they doing it at all?
To complicate people's logistics. It becomes unsafe to fly through such systems, hyperspace intercepts are frequent, and not every ship can match the situation, that is, be well protected and/or have a speed margin. And even if the ship is prepared, it still increases the time of movement through the bubble. In addition, the relocation of fleet carriers is more difficult.
And they need fewer resources to take over such systems.

Last edited:
To complicate people's logistics. It becomes unsafe to fly through such systems, hyperspace intercepts are frequent, and not every ship can match the situation, that is, be well protected and/or have a speed margin. And even if the ship is prepared, it still increases the time of movement through the bubble. In addition, the relocation of fleet carriers is more difficult.
And they need fewer resources to take over such systems.
This is true. Trying to traverse the systems around Taranis is a nightmare because there simply aren't any uncontrolled systems left, meaning there is no safe pathway to avoid hyperdictions which can be a rebuy for unprepared ships or at least an inconvenience if you can't spare the fuel.

One thing I don't get: how come there's so little activity or discussion around Alert systems? Is the effort to prevent Invasion that much higher than fighting the invasion itself? Do the groups focused on hauling prefer the Recovery systems, and if so, why? Has anyone tried / tested the salvage and research mechanics - how do they impact the progress bar?

And when Derin said two livestreams ago, that we should "shoot where the Thargoids will be, not where they are", was I reading to much between the lines, or did he actually mean Alert systems?

One thing I don't get: how come there's so little activity or discussion around Alert systems?
Because so far they seem to be a royal pain to clear with not much to do in them, possibly.
Is the effort to prevent Invasion that much higher than fighting the invasion itself?
So it seems yes.
Do the groups focused on hauling prefer the Recovery systems, and if so, why?
To an extent recovery systems repair themselves and groups like Ida and Hutton have worked on all kinds of systems. Both have recently helped clear several invasion systems, for example.
Has anyone tried / tested the salvage and research mechanics
Salvage yes.
- how do they impact the progress bar?
Don't know yet. I've tried it a few times in Invasion systems so far. Pods and black boxes are in Combat Aftermath and AX Weapons Fire signal sources if you fancy giving it a go.
And when Derin said two livestreams ago, that we should "shoot where the Thargoids will be, not where they are", was I reading to much between the lines, or did he actually mean Alert systems?
From context he appeared to be talking about the Controlled systems and particularly the frontline systems. They apparently represent the direction of expansion, hence "don't look at where they are, look at where they are going."

Other interpretations are probably available.

Elboongzi star station is broken, 3 Hydras and not one visible. No one leaving so it can't be reset :(

Last edited:
Quite strong cycle opening thus far; at present it looks to be around 12–14 systems this time. The top band of HR 1403, Elboongzi and Awara should finish tomorrow, and we have a second band to follow (I was just at Muruidooges!). Most systems from last cycle have rejoined, HIP 30158 joins the fight, and I see some more very sneaky eviction activity in Col 285 Sector TS-Z b14-0!

Top targets at 00:45 11th February 3309:
HR 1403 Invasion 58% — Indra 24 Ly, 3 ports, 2483 Ls planet + 62k Ls outpost attack, 194 Ls planet + 62k Ls outpost damage
Elboongzi Invasion 52% — Oya 27 Ly, 2 ports, 672 Ls starport attack, 1158 Ls outpost damage
Awara Invasion 50% — Taranis 21 Ly, 1 port, 9157 Ls starport attack, 7961 Ls outpost + 8322 Ls outpost damage
Muruidooges Invasion 28% — Hadad 18 Ly, 4 ports, 7321 Ls outpost attack
H Puppis Invasion 20% — Hadad 25 Ly, 3 ports, 320 Ls planet attack, 568 Ls outpost damage
Nu Guang Invasion 20% — Raijin 19 Ly, 5 ports, 43 Ls planet attack, 44 Ls starport + 1039 Ls outpost damage
HIP 21991 Alert 12% — Taranis 26 Ly, 1182 Ls starport
Minawara Invasion 12% — Oya 23 Ly, 3 ports, 412 Ls planet attack
Orong Invasion 12% — Oya 27 Ly, 2 ports, 1044 Ls outpost attack, 9 Ls planet + 17 Ls outpost damage
Gliese 9035 Invasion 10% — Oya 20 Ly, 5 ports, 555 Ls planet + 556 Ls planet attack
Hyades Sector OS-T c3-2 Control 10% — Taranis 30 Ly, empty

Elboongzi star station is broken, 3 Hydras and not one visible. No one leaving so it can't be reset :(

Remember that you can pick a Commander name nearby (via Comms or via Contacts), go to Social and block the name, drop there again (or exit and continue), then remove the block! It has its disadvantages such as matching you with poorer connections, but it should give you a different zone, and possibly a fresh zone.

One thing I don't get: how come there's so little activity or discussion around Alert systems? Is the effort to prevent Invasion that much higher than fighting the invasion itself? Do the groups focused on hauling prefer the Recovery systems, and if so, why? Has anyone tried / tested the salvage and research mechanics - how do they impact the progress bar?

Because it is impossible to conduct full-fledged battles there, no points of conflict. Judging by the information in the first post of the topic, commodity deliveries have the greatest influence in such systems. Apparently, the commanders are not interested in doing this, not interesting to look for diverse goods, carrying them without much profit. It's much more fun and profitable to fight.

I myself have always advocated for preventing the beginning of an invasion at the alarm stage and actively worked for this in alert systems, but it was difficult without support.

The main theoretical arguments against efforts to clean up alert systems are that if we focus on preventing alarms, more intrusion systems will go into a state of control, and then it will be more difficult to clean up them. But this is in theory, but in practice it would be nice if the application of forces was divided, and those who want and know how to fight would do it in "invasions", and carriers would carry cargo in "alerts". (However, also necessary save people from "invasions").

But, in principle, we have few human resources, not so many commanders are employed in this war, and such a split would again lead to a "dispersion of forces". That's why everything is so complicated with alerts systems...

Last edited:
They're not complicated, they're just broken. "Destroy thargoid craft" when there aren't any in the alert systems:

Screenshot_0433.png

And now control systems are broken too, requiring somewhere between 5-10 times the amount of effort that they needed before update 14.02.
So we can't prevent the thargoids from taking unpopulated systems, nor can we reclaim any territory from them at all leaving them free to constantly retrigger invasions in the same systems that we keep defending over and over (and having to deal with the unreliable messes known as AX CZs in the process).

FDEV have succeeded in creating a war against bugs, but unfortunately not the octagon-shaped space-faring kind. The entire war should be put on hold until all of this gets sorted out - we're supposedly already closer to update 15 / the next stage of the war than the beginning, and the fundamental mechanics still aren't working as intended.

They're not complicated, they're just broken. "Destroy thargoid craft" when there aren't any in the alert systems:

View attachment 345173

And now control systems are broken too, requiring somewhere between 5-10 times the amount of effort that they needed before update 14.02.
So we can't prevent the thargoids from taking unpopulated systems, nor can we reclaim any territory from them at all leaving them free to constantly retrigger invasions in the same systems that we keep defending over and over (and having to deal with the unreliable messes known as AX CZs in the process).

FDEV have succeeded in creating a war against bugs, but unfortunately not the octagon-shaped space-faring kind. The entire war should be put on hold until all of this gets sorted out - we're supposedly already closer to update 15 / the next stage of the war than the beginning, and the fundamental mechanics still aren't working as intended.
Perhaps FDev dis this because a bunch of players complained about that the war and the thargoids are to easy / not a challenge. 🙄

Activity is storming! At this rate, Invasions alone look as if they will account for fourteen systems, with some other non-Invasion progress around as well which could make it fifteen if supported.

Top targets at 08:30 11th February 3309:
HR 1403 Invasion 82% — Indra 24 Ly, 3 ports, 2483 Ls planet + 62k Ls outpost attack, 194 Ls planet + 62k Ls outpost damage
Elboongzi Invasion 64% — Oya 27 Ly, 2 ports, 672 Ls starport attack, 1158 Ls outpost damage
Awara Invasion 58% — Taranis 21 Ly, 1 port, 9157 Ls starport attack, 7961 Ls outpost + 8322 Ls outpost damage
Muruidooges Invasion 36% — Hadad 18 Ly, 4 ports, 7321 Ls outpost attack
Nu Guang Invasion 28% — Raijin 19 Ly, 5 ports, 43 Ls planet attack, 44 Ls starport + 1039 Ls outpost damage
H Puppis Invasion 26% — Hadad 25 Ly, 3 ports, 320 Ls planet attack, 568 Ls outpost damage
HIP 21991 Alert 18% — Taranis 26 Ly, 1182 Ls starport
Col 285 Sector TS-Z b14-0 Control 14% — Hadad 23 Ly, empty

Thank you ever so much for continuing to measure the Control requirements! I wanted to ask you immediately upon seeing that first point in Hyades Sector OS-T c3-2, but would have felt quite bad imposing it as a task. A question I will ask, though—is the surge in Col 285 Sector TS-Z b14-0 due to your testing? I noticed it yesterday and it surged further overnight, yet curiously is unlisted by DCOH. I will label it appropriately if tests are ongoing there!

Perhaps FDev dis this because a bunch of players complained about that the war and the thargoids are to easy / not a challenge. 🙄

If I may suggest, I think it would be quite safe to presume that the intended means of stopping an unpopulated Alert is not to jump to a Control system just to cause a Hyperspace Destabilisation and summon an Interceptor to the Alert system. Then again, nor is that the intended method of completing the Hutton Run, though that did not stop @CMDR Vulkarius from doing something quite naughty.

Thank you ever so much for continuing to measure the Control requirements! I wanted to ask you immediately upon seeing that first point in Hyades Sector OS-T c3-2, but would have felt quite bad imposing it as a task. A question I will ask, though—is the surge in Col 285 Sector TS-Z b14-0 due to your testing? I noticed it yesterday and it surged further overnight, yet curiously is unlisted by DCOH. I will label it appropriately if tests are ongoing there!
AFAIK that was VANG's Finance Friday. By comparison, the same event completely cleared Col 285 Sector JW-M c7-18 a few weeks ago.
Control systems are basically uncompletable unless a large group focuses on them for the entire week, and all our testing/measuring done to date is now outdated and useless.

Victory in HR 1403! Behind a very strong Invasion front we have HIP 20485 back after being defended previously in Week 7, and Khondo Po joins the fight!

Top targets at 15:50 11th February 3309:
Elboongzi Invasion 80% — Oya 27 Ly, 2 ports, 672 Ls starport attack, 1158 Ls outpost damage
Awara Invasion 70% — Taranis 21 Ly, 1 port, 9157 Ls starport attack, 7961 Ls outpost + 8322 Ls outpost damage
Muruidooges Invasion 42% — Hadad 18 Ly, 4 ports, 7321 Ls outpost attack
Nu Guang Invasion 34% — Raijin 19 Ly, 5 ports, 43 Ls planet attack, 44 Ls starport + 1039 Ls outpost damage
H Puppis Invasion 26% — Hadad 25 Ly, 3 ports, 320 Ls planet attack, 568 Ls outpost damage
HIP 21991 Alert 22% — Taranis 26 Ly, 1182 Ls starport
Orong Invasion 20% — Oya 27 Ly, 2 ports, 1044 Ls outpost attack, 9 Ls planet + 17 Ls outpost damage
Col 285 Sector TS-Z b14-0 Control 16% — Hadad 23 Ly, empty
Hyades Sector OS-T c3-2 Control 16% — Taranis 30 Ly, empty
Minawara Invasion 16% — Oya 23 Ly, 3 ports, 412 Ls planet attack

AFAIK that was VANG's Finance Friday. By comparison, the same event completely cleared Col 285 Sector JW-M c7-18 a few weeks ago.
Control systems are basically uncompletable unless a large group focuses on them for the entire week, and all our testing/measuring done to date is now outdated and useless.

Not all of it! You established the effects of Maelstrom distance, and a correlation between the Combat Bond value and the progress contribution, both of which survive any changes to the required total. Speaking of which, even that is something you are able to compare effectively now having completed an analysis of it before. That type of result with a demonstrable difference is very valuable for helping Commanders to make the best use of their time in any given cycle, and I am most grateful for you providing it.

They changed the combat bond amounts, and now we have no effective way of measuring if the interceptor contribution values have changed. It's not feasible to literally kill a thousand scouts to measure how many are needed for one pip, especially when the progress bars can have nearly a full hour of lag before registering the most recent kills.

Last edited:
Victories in Elboongzi and Awara! Next up are Muruidooges and H Puppis at either side of M. Hadad where I have been allowing kills to count for missions at both, as well as Nu Guang all the way over the other side of the bubble, and the HIP 21991 Alert in the middle. Mind that the planetary attack in H Puppis has 1.64 surface gravity!

HIP 21261 joins the fight, and I see some Alert activity at Vogulu, another system name becoming familiar here.

Top targets at 02:30 12th February 3309:
Muruidooges Invasion 58% — Hadad 18 Ly, 4 ports, 7321 Ls outpost attack
Nu Guang Invasion 42% — Raijin 19 Ly, 5 ports, 43 Ls planet attack, 44 Ls starport + 1039 Ls outpost damage
H Puppis Invasion 40% — Hadad 25 Ly, 3 ports, 320 Ls planet attack, 568 Ls outpost damage
HIP 21991 Alert 38% — Taranis 26 Ly, 1182 Ls starport
Orong Invasion 24% — Oya 27 Ly, 2 ports, 1044 Ls outpost attack, 9 Ls planet + 17 Ls outpost damage
Hyades Sector OS-T c3-2 Control 22% — Taranis 30 Ly, empty
Cao Tzu Invasion 20% — Taranis 21 Ly, 3 ports, 2225 Ls planet attack
Minawara Invasion 20% — Oya 23 Ly, 3 ports, 412 Ls planet attack

Awara was bugged. We killed 3 hydras but it didn't complete the instance.:mad:
Will that progress (3 hydras) count at all?

It should do, according to the actions listed on the Galaxy map. As best we know:
  • Your Hydra kills count for "Destroy Thargoid craft".
  • If you had Hydra missions, those count for "Complete missions".
  • Reaching the Hydra stage probably counts for "Support Human forces in Conflict Zones", where you receive that extra combat bond for completing the (original) objective.

During the recent battle of Elboongzi, three hydra managed to be overcome, with the completion of the instance and taking into account the progress. The third, the last, was bugged. She had one heart left with 100% hp and the massive fire of several commanders on it had absolutely no result. This lasted for 10-15 minutes (here we must pay tribute to the tenacity of the commanders, they did not lay down their arms, although it was clear that the situation was difficult), after which there was a shift in space, the hydra jerked, shifted, and began to take damage.

Been in Awara yesterday morning and yesterday late in the evening.
There were a couple of bugged hydra instances, but nothing that couldn't be solved by a temporary block followed by a relog.
And so, those bugged instances didnt prevented me to get almost 1bn in bonds

Been in Awara yesterday morning and yesterday late in the evening.
There were a couple of bugged hydra instances, but nothing that couldn't be solved by a temporary block followed by a relog.
And so, those bugged instances didnt prevented me to get almost 1bn in bonds

Who do you block, out of interest? Every other CMDR in the instance or just one (or two)?

Asking because I find that when another player with a not-so-great internet connection is in the same instance, they cause rubber-banding, and a severe drop in FPS due to little pauses and stutters as the P2P networking tries to tell the game client "what happened to what, whom, when, and where".

Oh and yeah also causes instance bugs as described in other posts. Quite annoying.

Who do you block, out of interest? Every other CMDR in the instance or just one (or two)?
I only did this once or twice, but I just blocked the first one in the contacts list and this seemed to do the trick.

But it's an annoying workaround since I also want to have that CMDR unblocked soon after. So that when he also leaves the instance and comes back, he might come back to the instance I created a little earlier. He could be a Hydra killing ace for all I know, we need all hands on deck. Or he could be wonderfull person that I don't want to create instance problems for.

I don't remember exactly now, but I think once at least another CMDR joins the new instance, it's safe to quit a second time to menu to unblock, and then when joining again you will be in the new instance still. Will need to test this with the first opportunity.

Top Bottom