Thargoids Missing Again... Fast Combat Rank?

I know that previously the best way to earn Combat XP was killing Thargoid Scouts. Well those disappeared again, and I wondered if there might be a second-best option for earning XP or possibly even a better one? I'm not looking to hit Elite in a day, I'm not greedy. But it would be nice to rank as Dangerous to unlock Lori Jameson, in a reasonable amount of time. Because right now I'm stuck on Expert and I feel like I'm barely crawling toward the next rank. I also realize this is a fairly common question, but the answers I see online date back at least a year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I passed through a system about 20ly from Lembass in the direction of Barnard's Loop less than 48 hours ago, it was infested, nonhuman signals everywhere. They've been pushed out of Witch Head nebula but they appear to be regrouping or prepping a staging area not far from it.
Xeno killing isn't my profession so I don't know if there is any meaning to that or if it's any help to you. Just reporting what I saw passing through.

The only difference is that in ax combat zones you get scouts on unlimited settings. When you visit the non human signal sources (nhss) you get a limited number of kiils. So time wise axcz are superiour.

I assume that by axcz you mean Thargoid combat zones. But there ain't any. LOL Oh well, I'll just hang out in a HazRes site for now.

Fit all AX multicannons (max 4), as big as you can get. Drop into nhss4, kill 4 scout (occasionally more), repeat👍
CNB or something may be better but if it is sprouts you are after thats the best way currently to grind rank imo

o7

Doing the same in Celaeno. Yeh, I would like to have AX zones, because flying in-out is a bit annoying ...
I think I found a trick on signals 5. If disengage appears 17 (or 7) Mm then it will be interceptor inside, if it is "normal" 900km - it will be 8 scouts.
Today made 1st my solo kill of interceptor using MK-2. Trick is boost-boost once your shield is down. Ignore swarm. While shield regens/boost use repair limpets on urself. And then it seems better option then scouts. Faster/easier kill 8-0 (you get more rating then killing scouts, and about same time accounting changing signals).

Last edited:
I passed through a system about 20ly from Lembass in the direction of Barnard's Loop less than 48 hours ago, it was infested, nonhuman signals everywhere.

I was just there days ago as well going after one of those "tip-off" message goose-chases. Can confirm that - LOTS of NHSS (non-human signal sources=thargoids)

Specifically, this one was in the Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 system.

surrounded by bugs.jpg

I was FSS-ing the system; it was full of NHSS!
In case it wasn't clear: AX = anti-xeno.

Happy hunting!

Edit - typos

I was just there days ago as well going after one of those "tip-off" message goose-chases. Can confirm that - LOTS of NHSS (non-human signal sources=thargoids)

Specifically, this one was in the Pleiades Sector IH-V C2-16 system.

View attachment 169367
I was FSS-ing the system; it was full of NHSS!
In case it wasn't clear: AX = anti-xeno.

Happy hunting!

Edit - typos
Helps confirm my theory many USS/NHSS spawn in systems where there's stars with no orbiting bodies (and is a bug).

Helps confirm my theory many USS/NHSS spawn in systems where there's stars with no orbiting bodies (and is a bug).
Dude - that system is 14 Ly from Merope - the centre of the NHSS shell - the spawn rate in there will be massive. It's working fine.

Dude - that system is 14 Ly from Merope - the centre of the NHSS shell - the spawn rate in there will be massive. It's working fine.
Nah, I've got quite a few systems noted where the number of USS (not NHSS) is comparably high, and they all match that condition (Stars without orbiting bodies).

I'm pretty sure it's a by-product of a fix FD did a while back because, for systems where there is a star, station, but no orbiting bodies, they were incapable of generating CZs or other POIs.

It's not the only condition that applies, but I'm still trying to nut that one out. I suspect there are meant to be lots of NHSS around there, but not Asterope-200+ volumes.

Top Bottom