"The Aquarian Job" goes badly wrong - How I lost a ship mid-race but am still in the running

Still amazing. With practice comes skill and you were an incomparably better SRV pilot than me when you started but watching the crater vid I'd say you've become even better. You're smooth sections of flying are even smoother, much less altitude variation, looks just like a ship flying till you finally touchdown again.

Flying a ship with FA-Off is difficult enough but your ability to fly an SRV using roll/pitch/yaw to position your single vector thrust properly to control speed and direction is astounding. I can almost feel the calculations running through your head as you cross the lip of the crater. See what area looks smoothest, roll/thrust to change direction, pick a landing point, pitch/thrust to change momentum, touch down and continue. Add to that the ability to quickly and precisely recover when things go pear-shaped and it's simply superb.

This has to be one of the finest intersections of entertaining, skill and bloody mindedness I've seen in ED. If you actually make it out alive this needs to end up as a News article.

You pull this off and they should create a 1 off decal for ya, this is probably the most insane but amazing things I have seen any one try to pull off in ED, good luck, be interesting to know if anyone at fdev is watching your progress.

Made a ton of progress tonight. Crossed the halfway mark, and then some!

PubR24c.jpg

Spent some time chasing my own shadow!

yVXqYFi.jpg

At the same time, the shadows are getting longer, and I will soon cross into the night side of the planet. This makes craters extra scary to fall into since they're now mostly pitch black. It's going to get worse until I'm fully on the night side, then the "night vision" will kick in and I'll be able to see clearly again.

I also got a friendly visit from CMDR Alec Turner in his swanky yellow Python!

M0PMmyB.jpg

I've probably still got ~6 hours of driving left, but it feels good to be past the midpoint.

Last edited:
I also got a friendly visit from CMDR Alec Turner in his swanky yellow Python!

I've got some nice video footage, both of you covering some ground (and doing some tricks while you're at it) and also of the remaining journey from your current position to Kronecker Beacon (which I thought might be useful so you can see what lies ahead).

I'll upload both of these later on this morning ... need to get to work first.

Nice flyving with you!

o7

That Python does kinda look like a Bee :D

And it floats like a butterfly too! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Still amazing. With practice comes skill and you were an incomparably better SRV pilot than me when you started but watching the crater vid I'd say you've become even better. You're smooth sections of flying are even smoother, much less altitude variation, looks just like a ship flying till you finally touchdown again.

Flying a ship with FA-Off is difficult enough but your ability to fly an SRV using roll/pitch/yawto position your single vector thrust properly to control speed and direction is astounding. I can almost feel the calculations running through your head as you cross the lip of the crater. See what area looks smoothest, roll/thrust to change direction, pick a landing point, pitch/thrust to change momentum, touch down and continue. Add to that the ability to quickly and precisely recover when things go pear-shaped and it's simply superb.

This has to be one of the finest intersections of entertaining, skill and bloody mindedness I've seen in ED. If you actually make it out alive this needs to end up as a News article.

Hear hear, well said (with one slight correction above).

Last edited:
It's almost a shame ctrl-alt-space entries closed last night, because with a little help from an obliging camera-ship or two (for multi-camera shots - the camera suite is great but its still impossible to capture multiple viewpoints at the same time from a cmdrs perspective) this journey could have been an epic entry in the "documentary" category, combining pieces of raw footage from the SRV with external shots, a decent sound track and some carefully selected voice-over :)

Even though I think it would be hard to get it down to the time limits for that contest even with the most fiendish director in charge of the editing :p

Video 2 of 2 now available for your viewing pleasure.

[video=youtube_share;n2XeWk1Al_8]https://youtu.be/n2XeWk1Al_8[/video]

Godspeed Cmdr Seldon, you've still got a long way to go and a LOT of craters to cross.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping I'm missing something here but:

There's no shipyard at Kronecker Beacon. Do you just get a new ship as you drive into the garage?

Last edited:
Outstandingly beautiful.

The spin at 4:10 [yesnod][up]

He's a cool customer our Tannik! :cool:

I'm really hoping I'm missing something here but:

There's no shipyard at Kronecker Beacon. Do you just get a new ship as you drive into the garage?

I wondered who'd be the first to spot that. I didn't have the heart to point it out myself. :x

P.S. in fact, since we don't yet have "space legs" when you "dock" your SRV at a planetary base, and since you need to end up at the station menu sat in something (and it's never the SRV), you'll end up back in your old ship, irrespective of the presence of a shipyard (or at least, for Tannik's sanity, I sincerely hope this is the case).

He's a cool customer our Tannik! :cool:

I wondered who'd be the first to spot that. I didn't have the heart to point it out myself. :x

P.S. in fact, since we don't yet have "space legs" when you "dock" your SRV at a planetary base, and since you need to end up at the station menu sat in something (and it's never the SRV), you'll end up back in your old ship, irrespective of the presence of a shipyard (or at least, for Tannik's sanity, I sincerely hope this is the case).

I'd hope that docking your SRV at a base would update the "last docked at... " data, and if your ship is toast would present you with a rebuy screen that puts you at that base. It's all down to how FD have handled this particular scenario in the SRV docking code. Just a few ways they might have coded it below...
  • You end up at a rebuy screen and respawn docked where you just pulled into in your SRV. (phew)
  • Because you have no ship for the base to insta-summon, you are denied docking permission in a SRV. (ouch)
  • You get a rebuy screen and respawn back where you last docked your ship. (ouch)
  • They didn't handle it at all and docking requests from the SRV with a destroyed ship just time out with no response. (oops)
  • They didn't handle it at all and the game crashes. (serious oops)
  • Finally, to turn the "serious oops" into a "monumental faceplant" that leaves your save in an undefined state and your game will crash on login until you either get attention from support or clear it.

Let's just say that if I were writing test scenarios for FD during the Horizons release I'd definitely have included one for docking your SRV after ship destruction, so the last three of those are the least likely, but we'll never know until....

Great videos again. The perspective from the SRV is great but the perspective from Alec smooths out all the jitter from the SRV camera and makes for a much smoother track.

I can't imagine what's going through your mind with the base revelation. I guess one presses on and hopes. Personally I'd spin up a quick bit of RP and assert that you used the base's radio to request having your ship re-built delivered and ignore whatever reality the game engine threw at you.

I'd hope that docking your SRV at a base would update the "last docked at... " data, and if your ship is toast would present you with a rebuy screen that puts you at that base. It's all down to how FD have handled this particular scenario in the SRV docking code. Just a few ways they might have coded it below...
  • You end up at a rebuy screen and respawn docked where you just pulled into in your SRV. (phew)

This is in fact the case. I had a friend test this out: he took a sidewinder, landed outside a base, shot their sidewinder to death with their SRV, then drove to the base and docked. He got a rebuy screen and a new ship for the base he docked at (which he hadn't previously visited).

I did, in fact, do my homework before deciding to do set out. :) My original video hides the fact that between "crap, ship blew up" and "challenge accepted" I took some time to make sure the rebuy bit would work.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the videos, Alec! You make me look good. :D

One more from me as well, showing how things look when everything is going its smoothest.
[video=youtube;7NfhW75ssEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NfhW75ssEE[/video]

Last edited:
This is in fact the case. I had a friend test this out: he took a sidewinder, landed outside a base, shot their sidewinder to death with their SRV, then drove to the base and docked. He got a rebuy screen and a new ship for the base he docked at (which he hadn't previously visited).

That makes sense. In a purely ship-based scenario you end up at the last place you docked before your ship was destroyed, even if that location lacks a shipyard.

Top Bottom