The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Close Encounters of the Bucky Kind (Swift-16 Championship, Race 8)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Ur0EOUn.png

Welcome racers to the final round of this years' championship. Another year has flown by and we've had some fantastic racing around new and old courses, and had lots of new participants. You've all made it a fantastic year.

And so I thought I'd end things this year with a nice simple race... All you need to do is fly to four stations, land at each, then fly back to the start/finish line. Simple doesn't always mean easy though :devilish:

Starports can be found in a wide variety of locations, some of them close enough to their parent body that the Supercruise approach becomes much more of an art than a science. One of the more famous is Robert Aitken Orbital in Firdaus, where the station skims remarkably close above the clouds of a Gas Giant. Not far away is Votatini, where in 3303 Cmdr TheMadOll, with assistance from Cmdrs Rinzler Black, Frank and Edward Robinson, managed to pilot an SRV from King Terminal on the planet's surface all the way into the dock of the orbital Starport Valigursky Orbital.

Close Encounters is a race around some of the area's lower orbits, including Firdaus along with a Starport orbiting inside the rings of an Earthlike World, and an Asteroid Base within the rings of a Gas Giant. This time however in the interests of keeping the Regulation races a bit shorter I have decided to swap out Votatini and after a couple of hours manually searching systems I happened upon HR 706. Which has a station closely orbiting an Earthlike World, which is also in a binary orbit with another planet. So it should test yet another aspect of Supercruise approach.

The Course

Start and finish docked at Kuchner Vision in Kured
In between, call at the following stations:
  • Robert Aitken Orbital in Firdaus
  • Iben Hub in Iota Hydri
  • Big Pappa's Base in Andhrimi
  • Laming Orbital in HR 706
You are free to visit the stations in any order you like, which could prove useful because one of the issues with docking at stations so close to planets is the increased chance of obscured jumps.

The Classes

There will be two race classes: Open Unlimited and Regulation Cobra Mk.III.

The Regulation Cobra Mk.III must be outfitted matching the loadout that has been used for the championship. It can be found here.

No limitations except for those listed below apply for the loadout in Open Unlimited.

In both classes, the following is forbidden:
  • Supercruise Assist
  • Docking Computers of any kind
  • Precharging the FSD at a Neutron Star or White Dwarf before starting your run
  • Use of FSD Injection or any other Synthesis
  • Involvement of Fleet Carriers

Evidence

You may use either screenshots or video to evidence your run. As there will only be a few basic shots necessary an imgur album (or equivalent) of screenshots might be best, but if you are submitting a video please timestamp it a couple of seconds before each relevant time so I don't need to keep jumping back a bit :)

For judging the race I will require:
  • (Regulation Class Only) 2 shots showing the modules in your right hand systems panel before starting the run
  • One shot of you docked on the landing pad at Kuchner Vision facing the mailslot- This will be your starting time
  • One shot of you docked on the landing pad at each of the four other stations
  • One shot of you docked on the landing pad at Kuchner Vision facing the back of the station- This will be your finishing time

Duration

You need to start your runs between
00:00:00, Saturday, 25th November 3309
and
23:59:59, Sunday, 3rd December 3309

Submissions will be accepted at least until the evening of Monday, 4th December. Later by prior agreement only.

Fly fast and have fun!

Leaderboards

CcHY8SJh.png

Z5q8Hg1h.png

Last edited:
After investigating the course DBX Where Has Tha Bin? has been pressed into service. Everything not superglued into place has been thrown overboard carefully placed into storage. I'm not sure this will be enough, however, as no satisfactory go-faster red paintjob has been found. 😭 I'll have to try twice as hard to make up for this deficiency...

After investigating the course DBX Where Has Tha Bin? has been pressed into service. Everything not superglued into place has been thrown overboard carefully placed into storage. I'm not sure this will be enough, however, as no satisfactory go-faster red paintjob has been found. 😭 I'll have to try twice as hard to make up for this deficiency...
I take it vibrant, slipstream and mechanist red are not fast enough?

The Shooting Star has been relocated to the Kured system. Scouting will be underway soon. Please stand by...
Scouting completed successfully. Declaring intent to race.
Unlimited class, as usual. With the Shooting Star, as usual.

The scouting round had me recieve my first fine for reckless flying. Upon leaving Kuchner Vision at about 120m/s, I met a T9 face first - couldn't see that flying brick until it was too late. Must have had a cloaking device and just realized in the last moment that it still was active. My attempt at an evasive manoeuvre made me bounce off the hull of the other ship. A few dings and scatches on my end and probably a scratch or two on the T9 was luckily all the damage caused by this too close encounter.

The scouting round had me recieve my first fine for reckless flying. Upon leaving Kuchner Vision at about 120m/s, I met a T9 face first - couldn't see that flying brick until it was too late. Must have had a cloaking device and just realized in the last moment that it still was active. My attempt at an evasive manoeuvre made me bounce off the hull of the other ship. A few dings and scatches on my end and probably a scratch or two on the T9 was luckily all the damage caused by this too close encounter.
It gets very dark and hard to see things when you're coming out of some of those stations. Look on the fine as a rite of Buckyball passage; next stop jail! :D

It gets very dark and hard to see things when you're coming out of some of those stations. Look on the fine as a rite of Buckyball passage; next stop jail! :D
Well, I had that one already, while scouting for the last race. Just barely avoided a second trip there thanks to some hints from you guys.

It was oddly so dark that I didn't even see the reticle of that ship...

Top Bottom