The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Close Encounters of the Bucky Kind (Swift-16 Championship, Race 8)

Proudly raises the red lantern mug

Congratulations to @sgurr for the double-W.
Also congrats to the inhabitants of the remaining podium spots in both classes.
Cheers to everyone that participated in this race.
And a big cheers to @Ozric for hosting this race.

The races this year have spawned a question in my head...
My optical sensors are a little weak in the red/green spectrum, which makes it impossible for me to tell the red and green lights apart - they all look white to me. In another thread, someone said that only the red ones would be flashing. But when I fly through the mailslot, every light is flashing. Is there any other way to tell if I have the greens on my right when I enter? Knowing that would improve my ability to find my pad by about 80%.
The adverts on the outside are the right way up if you have green to your right. (Hard to judge at speed, I know!)

Proudly raises the red lantern mug

Congratulations to @sgurr for the double-W.
Also congrats to the inhabitants of the remaining podium spots in both classes.
Cheers to everyone that participated in this race.
And a big cheers to @Ozric for hosting this race.

The races this year have spawned a question in my head...
My optical sensors are a little weak in the red/green spectrum, which makes it impossible for me to tell the red and green lights apart - they all look white to me. In another thread, someone said that only the red ones would be flashing. But when I fly through the mailslot, every light is flashing. Is there any other way to tell if I have the greens on my right when I enter? Knowing that would improve my ability to find my pad by about 80%.
Honestly you have to get so close to even tell which is which in Odyssey you might as well guess. On a more serious note, the advertisements are right side up if the green lights are on your right. They might be easier to spot. The blinking I've not noticed until checking now, but it's so slow you can't use it as an indicator if you are going fast.

Edit: As Edelgard already said :p

The adverts on the outside are the right way up if you have green to your right. (Hard to judge at speed, I know!)
Well, as of now, the speed is not an issue. Still trying to get comfortable with getting in there in one piece and get those curves right.
EDIT: I just learned that there are some lights on the outer ends of the toastrack which are the ones that all those sources are referring to.

Is it just me that feels like those stations aren't solely rotating along one axis?

Last edited:
As for the Dolphin, my god I never knew it could do that! My set up had 68ly jump, 591 boost and 4 jumps in the tank with small shields even and permaboost. The way it performed has given me serious doubts about the DBX in future races. Here are my Dolphin runs just for interest
Wow, I completely screwed up my Dolphin conversion then. Serves me right for doing it in semi-panic at the last minute!
Quite right - it's a giant housebrick, with a greenhouse stuck on the front! :D

@CMDR Timber McWolf - the red and green lights were much clearer in Legacy, but that's not gonna help you much. Have you worked out the repeating pattern of the pads yet? 1-15 at 6 o'clock to 9, then 16-30 at 9 o'clock to 1, then 31-45 at 2 o'clock to 5. That way you know at least which quadrant third a pad should be in. And with EDCopilot telling you a pad is at X o'clock, you should have only 2 places to look as you come in. Memorising them will come in time, even if it's just the small pads for now.

@CMDR Timber McWolf - the red and green lights were much clearer in Legacy, but that's not gonna help you much. Have you worked out the repeating pattern of the pads yet? 1-15 at 6 o'clock to 9, then 16-30 at 9 o'clock to 1, then 31-45 at 2 o'clock to 5. That way you know at least which quadrant third a pad should be in. And with EDCopilot telling you a pad is at X o'clock, you should have only 2 places to look as you come in. Memorising them will come in time, even if it's just the small pads for now.
Even then I can't remember having seen them, to be honest.

EDCopilot helps me a lot in finding my pads.

The repeating patterns haven't settled in, yet, as the number of pads the stations gave me during the race were quite limited. Which on the other hand means, that I was able to find one of these in yesterday's session while flying "blind", without the help of EDC. A second try suffered from the low resolution of the compass, as I got presented with a pad I hadn't seen all race. But I think I now know where it is to be found - six o'clock in the back when entering with the greens on my right. 😊 Or twelve, if I enter upside down, relative to the station.

Is it just me that feels like those stations aren't solely rotating along one axis?
Technically, they would have to be to maintain their orientation relative to the body they’re orbiting at all times, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking about. If that truly is the case in game, that’s some mighty impressive attention to detail from the original dev-team…

Technically, they would have to be to maintain their orientation relative to the body they’re orbiting at all times, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking about. If that truly is the case in game, that’s some mighty impressive attention to detail from the original dev-team…
You might not notice it, because you go in there way faster than I am able to right now.

I really struggle to line up to the mailslot as it always seems to move up (or down, depending on my orientation) diagonally while also spinning along the axis perpendicular to the center of the mailslot.

You should be able to experience it if you slow down to the "legal" speed of 99m/s or below.

Actually many or even most of the ships will go through the slot at any orientation except sideways (even then for small ones) so try not to worry so much about lining up. Just go through and not worry about it. Eventually you will ignore it.

"You should be able to experience it if you slow down to the "legal" speed of 99m/s or below." I`m sorry we don`t do this, that warning is a minimum speed warning for a Buckyballer.

Last edited:
Actually many or even most of the ships will go through the slot at any orientation except sideways (even then for small ones) so try not to worry so much about lining up. Just go through and not worry about it. Eventually you will ignore it.
It needs a keen eye to spot your pad in a blimk of an eye. Something that doesn't work that well for me, at the moment, due to health issues.
That won't stop me from racing, though. There's always a workaround.

You might not notice it, because you go in there way faster than I am able to right now.

I really struggle to line up to the mailslot as it always seems to move up (or down, depending on my orientation) diagonally while also spinning along the axis perpendicular to the center of the mailslot.

You should be able to experience it if you slow down to the "legal" speed of 99m/s or below.
Isn't there some option to align the roll to the station? A 3-axis tumble is very difficult to analyse visually. You can try just focussing on the object, then again - it's what you do in ED. Sometimes you can make out a clear extreme in one of the three axis, then align your axis, look for the next candidate, approximate that and by and by you can equalise. But that requires total free axis input, no director, no damping. You need curves for that, too, vanilla ED can't be handled FAOff by normal humans.

Rotational correction in setting will align your rotation once in the station gravity. FA off takes more practice, I can do it, but I just leave FA on as I prefer it.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

I think it's just perception because of how hard it is to get dead perfect in line with the mailslot. If you're using lateral thrusters as well, then you have to bear in mind that depending on how much you use them and how long it's been for, different ships will take different amounts of time to scrub off that directional thrust. It's part of the reason why I stopped worrying so much in my earlier days of racing and just used the toast rack to bounce off :D But over the two years of doing these championships I've really learnt how much the Cobra keeps the thrust, which makes approaching stations a lot more comfortable from any angle.

But when I used to go smuggling (when silent running was dangerous) I would line myself up with the mailslot 7.5Km out. Request docking and sit there watching the security forces circling for a while, before making a break for the station. Once you're sat stationary in front of it, the mailslot never moves other than the circular rotation.

Nowadays you can just casually fly into the station and no one scans you quick enough anyway.

I wish I could take a video of what I'm experiencing.
I had the exact same experience wit an IEagle, a Hauler, an Adder, a Python and an Alliance Challenger. The rotational correction only seems to set in once I enter the mailslot.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I wish I could take a video of what I'm experiencing.
I had the exact same experience wit an IEagle, a Hauler, an Adder, a Python and an Alliance Challenger. The rotational correction only seems to set in once I enter the mailslot.
You have probably mentioned before, but can you not take a video? Either using your GPU software, or downloading OBS.

But yes as Sulu said earlier, Rotational Correction only takes effect once you are inside the station itself.

If it is a problem in normal gameplay you can use an autopilot. This of course is not allowed in racing. It is a skill you will have to master. As I said once you are used to it you will not even notice it I promise.

Top Bottom