Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Hot Off The Press (17th to 25th August 3305)

Right then, time to judge some screenshots. We didn't get hundreds (quite understandable, people were too busy racing) but we did get a few and very beautiful they were too.

So, in third place ...

"Congestion at the Print Works" courtesy of @OrangePheonix
save_21-01-jpeg.140681

I like this primarily for the subject matter and for capturing the fact that the Print Works has been a busy little station this week.

In second place ...

"Generation Ship Atlas, Charick Drift" courtesy of @Edelgard von Rhein
Q7XRyrD.png

One of a series of several beautiful screenshots from Edelgard. I only wanted to pick one from each commander but I was seriously torn between this one and the fantastic Guardian beacon shot.
jP59PW6.png
Went for the generation ship in the end just because of the atmosphere of loneliness that it conjurs up.

And the winner ...

"All this, it has been like to crystal ..." courtesy of @Bruski
lADccda.jpg

From his really beautiful (and poetic) series of screenshots - I just love the colours in this crystal and how they reflect the colours of the galaxy beyond - wonderful!

There will be community prize packs winging their way to all the winers (of both the race itself and of the screenshot contest) over the next few days (first choice going to the best).

I also just wanted to shout out a few runners up to the screenshot contest (including a few taken from race submissions).

First up we have Crotalus' lovely shot of Sagittarius A* - because - he went all the way to Sagittarius A* ... twice!!!

14misc-jpg.140535

Next and I just had to include one from Beth Johanson's week of adventures, opting for this one which captures the strange case of Commander Clark Barrow.

UUJoQr9.png

Then there was Raiko's shot of the INRA base where ungodly experiments on a captured Thargoid were carried out - still one of my favourite locations in the game.

XifNSFr.png

And lastly I'm just going to have to include Sulu's ship explosion screenshot, right in the mailslot, mere seconds into his run - which still makes me chuckle.

mgYcNwe.png

Last edited:
Errr, I didn't think it was actually as simple as that anymore?

Non Crime Destruction
• When your ship is destroyed and you were not wanted, you can now respawn at a nearby starport if there is one available that is not faction hostile to you.
• If there are no appropriate starports, you will respawn at the last port you were docked at.
• If in the unlikely event you are also wanted there you will be sent to the nearest detention centres and have to pay your dues.

I assume this means that if your ship was destroyed by say an npc then you would respawn at a nearby station, if however your ship is destroyed by flying into a something possibly not a ship then you would respawn at your last port that you were docked at

That being said it i can't find it in the actual patch notes and unable to test it at the moment

Last edited:
Overall, my strategy had to fulfill the following goals:
  1. Earn Credits
  2. Visit USSs, especially HGEs for, manufactured materials
  3. Visit Stations for services information
  4. Visit Planetary Surfaces, especially geological or biological POIs, for raw materials
  5. Scan Ships for Data
  6. Scan Wakes for Data
  7. Check off as many off the list as possible
  8. Make an interesting drabble
  9. Return to Millese before the end of the race
Needless to say, this required a rather... unorthedox build. It didn't even have any FSD upgrades at the start of this race!: https://s.orbis.zone/49b4

Fortunately for me, several of these things can be accomplished simultaneously. ;) If I wanted to find geological and biological POIs I'd be exploring, which earns credits. Traveling to stations would provide opportunities for scanning ships and USSs along the way, and I could always scan a wake or two on the way out to of mass lock.

Fortunately for me, three things worked to my advantage: First I had Inga's wealth of bookmarks to take advantage of, thanks to creating a squadron for role-playing purposes. Second, my sister's conference was canceled, so I found myself with three evenings free that I hadn't planned on. :) Last, I recognized quite a few things on the list that were part of a previous Buckyball Race, which could be used as a last resort.

Naturally, I then compiled my strategy

Group 1Group 2Group 3Group 4Group 5Group 6
Federal or Imperial Ship

High Tech Imperial Systems?
High Intensity Combat Zones
*Tunnel Vision
SRV 250m in the air

Literally Anywhere
Something Thargoid

Alien USS near the Pleiades
*Kick the Alien
Something Guardian

*Original Guardian Site

(visit *Meene for Ram Tah's mission)
A Shipwreck (human)

*Swoop and Scoop
An outpost ship showroom

High Tech Outpost?
Another Ship using mining lasers

Wherever there's a resource site
Inside a repairing station

They're all over the place!
A Ship Exploding

Wherever there's a resource site
A Coriolis with "noob hammers"

Check Coriolis Stations
*Armed and Dangerous
A Geyser or Fumerole

Literally Anywhere
An abandoned or wrecked SRV

Check transitory planetary POIs
*Crashed Thargoid Ship
Flying Through a Buckyball Holo Ad

High Tech non-Outpost Station?
A brain Tree Space Pumpkin or Bark Mound

*Check Codex

An Asteroid Explosion

Make my own
A Black Hole

*Maia
Stellar Phenomenon

*Check Codex
An INRA logo

*In the Hermitage System

Finally, I bookmarked the fixed, last resort, or codex systems, (marked with an *) and decided on the order I would be visiting them. The VR Galaxy Map makes this easier. Finally, I selected the repairing station closest to my first destination (Hermitage), and set off!

And here's where I made my first mistake, but one that worked out for the best. I missed changing the SRV bookmark so it would show up on my list! By the time I'd realized it, I had already left the Pleiades. In my defense, I'd had a long day at work, and was up later than I should've been) The story of Clark Barrow was much more interesting (especially given how my mind connected what I found at the SRV site with how instances can be "refreshed") than what I'd prepared there! Thank you everyone who sent the anonymous tips about that, and what can be found the Millese systems (which became my a last resort for those two items)!

Over the course of my tour, I'd made about 18 million credits from exploration, and upgraded my FSD to grade four, which increased my jump range to just under 30ly. All I need is some Datamined Wake Exceptions to finish upgrading Haulin' ARX's FSD to grade five. By the time I'd reached the Guardian site, I was feeling pressed for time, so I skipped doing the puzzle in favor of revisiting the Pleiades.

I'm planning on developing Beth a little this time, which for me means getting her a DBX and an iCourier, in time for the next race.

I often struggle to find the time to play during the week, and so my normal approach to Buckyball events is to turn up on the final weekend and see how I do. I can access most of the best ED online resources on my PC at work though, including the these forums, eddb and inara, and so I can usually at least plan out a route for an event during lunchtimes and "compilation time." ;)

Alec's races are always a bit special though, different to other BRC races that I've done before and often involving skills that I've never tried before such as SRV base-jumping. So my "turn up on Sunday" approach doesn't cut it and Falling With Style is the only BRC race that I've attempted and failed to finish.

I loved the theme of this race and I was determined to at least get a time on the board. Knowing that I'd have limited time, I concentrated on ticking a few bucket list items that fit the theme of the race.

I've wanted to visit the various abandoned INRA sites for a while, so I started with a scouting run to check them out. The Thargoid death pit asset from my screenshot is used in two different INRA facilities, and I'm sure many others would have used one of them in their runs if they were located a little closer to Millese.

I decided to try and make three runs.

Run#1 in The Nomad would get my favourite ship on the leaderboard, and reaching the closest of the two INRA/Thargoid sites wouldn't take too long as she has nearly 70ly range even in default "Space Tourist" setup with an SRV hangar, 5D drives and some shields.

There's a volcanic location 350km from the abandoned INRA base, so a quick orbital hop would be enough to collect 3 screenshots from that moon.

I took a look at the GalMap and selected a repair station that was roughly midway between Millese and the INRA base to pick up on the way out, and then for the final two I wanted to get the BRC advert in and picked the Communications Installation at Belu - 1 Jump away from Millese and the twin vertical ads would mean the ad should appear regularly and be quicker to boost through than one at the back of a High Tech station.

Out of the Noob Hammer stations that I'd found Rushworth Port in Tauerni was one extra jump out from Belu, so I'd visit that on the way back from Alnath.

This gave me a final route of:
  • Repair Station - Haignere City (OU Geminorum)
  • INRA Logo / Something Thargoid - Klatt Enterprise (Alnath)
  • Fumerole - Alnath
  • Noob Hammers - Rushworth Port (Tauerni)
  • BRC Banner - Comms Installation (Belu)

Run#2 would use my Beluga to take a more scenic route and visit the more distant of those two INRA sites, it's located on an adjacent moon to the Cmdr Jameson crash site, another place I wanted to include with its data logs that tell of the sad end to the INRA/Thargoid "Frontier: First Encounters Easter egg" story.

Another item on my bucket list is Alec's Pomeche Ridge Challenge; the Beluga can easily carry a few SRVs and I figured that even it I failed the challenge I'd at least pick up the 250m SRV screenshot easily enough.

So my plan for run#2 was to visit Pomeche first, make a couple of attempts at the ridge challenge, then pick up INRA, Thargoid & Ship Wreck in HIP 12099 on the way to the Maia B Black Hole.

On the way back I had a capital ship dock picked (I forget which one).

Unfortunately, by the time I'd visited the two moons in HIP 12099, I only had a few minutes left and wouldn't have even made it to Maia, so I called it a night.

Even though I wasn't very competitive, and I couldn't figure out how Numerlor had got a 6 minute run in, I really enjoyed this race. Thanks again Alec, and well done to everyone who took part, especially budding reporter Beth Johanson who's story was amazing. o7

If I'd had time left after run#2, then I'd have made run#3 in my iCourier - done the sneaky cargo drop trick and grabbed the other 4 screenshots close by. I'd still have been over 10 minutes though, so no threat to the leaders.

Last edited:
I often struggle to find the time to play during the week, and so my normal approach to Buckyball events is to turn up on the final weekend and see how I do. I can access most of the best ED online resources on my PC at work though, including the these forums, eddb and inara, and so I can usually at least plan out a route for an event during lunchtimes and "compilation time." ;)

Alec's races are always a bit special though, different to other BRC races that I've done before and often involving skills that I've never tried before such as SRV base-jumping. So my "turn up on Sunday" approach doesn't cut it and Falling With Style is the only BRC race that I've attempted and failed to finish.

I loved the theme of this race and I was determined to at least get a time on the board. Knowing that I'd have limited time, I concentrated on ticking a few bucket list items that fit the theme of the race.

I've wanted to visit the various abandoned INRA sites for a while, so I started with a scouting run to check them out. The Thargoid death pit asset from my screenshot is used in two different INRA facilities, and I'm sure many others would have used one of them in their runs if they were located a little closer to Millese.

I decided to try and make three runs.

Run#1 in The Nomad would get my favourite ship on the leaderboard, and reaching the closest of the two INRA/Thargoid sites wouldn't take to long as she has nearly 70ly range even in default "Space Tourist" setup with an SRV hangar, 5D drives and some shields.

There's a volcanic location 350km from the abandoned INRA base, so a quick orbital hop would be enough to collect 3 screenshots from that moon.

I took a look at the GalMap and selected a repair station that was roughly midway between Millese and the INRA base to pick up on the way out, and then for the final two I wanted to get the BRC advert in and picked the Communications Installation at Belu - 1 Jump away from Millese and the twin vertical ads would mean the ad should appear regularly and be quicker to boost through than one at the back of a High Tech station.

Out of the Noob Hammer stations that I'd found Rushworth Port in Tauerni was one extra jump out from Belu, so I'd visit that on the way back from Alnath.

This gave me a final route of:
  • Repair Station - Haignere City (OU Geminorum)
  • INRA Logo / Something Thargoid - Klatt Enterprise (Alnath)
  • Fumerole - Alnath
  • Noob Hammers - Rushworth Port (Tauerni)
  • BRC Banner - Comms Installation (Belu)

Run#2 would use my Beluga to take a more scenic route and visit the more distant of those two INRA sites, it's located on an adjacent moon to the Cmdr Jameson crash site, another place I wanted to include with its data logs that tell of the sad end to the INRA/Thargoid "Frontier: First Encounters Easter egg" story.

Another item on my bucket list is Alec's Pomeche Ridge Challenge; the Beluga can easily carry a few SRVs and I figured that even it I failed the challenge I'd at least pick up the 250m SRV screenshot easily enough.

So my plan for run#2 was to visit Pomeche first, make a couple of attempts at the ridge challenge, then pick up INRA, Thargoid & Ship Wreck in HIP 12099 on the way to the Maia B Black Hole.

On the way back I had a capital ship dock picked (I forget which one).

Unfortunately, by the time I'd visited the two moons in HIP 12099, I only had a few minutes left and wouldn't have even made it to Maia, so I called it a night.

Even though I wasn't very competitive, and I couldn't figure out how Numerlor had got a 6 minute run in, I really enjoyed this race. Thanks again Alec, and well done to everyone who took part, especially budding reporter Beth Johanson who's story was amazing. o7
Thanks Raiko - I must say this race turned out far better than I'd hoped. I didn't really know how people would take to a race where everyone was almost certainly flying a different route so the usual Buckyball tactics of re-running the route and pushing those supercruise approaches to shave seconds off wouldn't really apply. In practice however we did still end up with a lot of jostling for position around the 20 minute mark which was fantastic. I also hadn't really appreciated the extent to which people would play with the rules. I knew that geysers could pair nicely with the 250m high SRV, I knew that Thargoid/Guardian items could be left outside the station and I knew that INRA bases also had Thargoid remains, but the combinations used by people like Numerlor were brilliant (especially the parking of the falling/self-destructing SRV right in front of the ship for the next SRV wreckage shot ... just wonderful!). Thanks to everyone who took part and a quick reminder that you are all now members of the Buckyball Racing Club. The calendar ahead is now empty so if anyone wants to host the next race then please please go for it!

Sagittarius Eye breaking news piece on the race results.

Bit slow catching up on these (sorry Mr Wotherspoon).

"Amazing photos, amazing times"
http://laveradio.com/Galnet/190822Galnet.mp3 (around the 2:25 mark)

"Controversy as race winner dies ... twice"
http://laveradio.com/Galnet/190827Galnet.mp3 (around the 8 minute mark)
Crap ... Wotherspoon's got me bang to rights ... I really should have disqualified Numerlor for failing to "land" back at the finish line. Oh well, I like a bit of controversy and at least we didn't kick any dead aliens this time! :)

Top Bottom