Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Obfuscated In The Outer Rim. 23rd - 31st Dec 3309.

I wouldn't get fixated on a particular crater, not least as they will be on the night side sometimes (and therefore ineligible for the Vagabond bonus). When I was testing it, I would just approach the day side close to the terminator where the shadows are clear, which shows up the craters well, and pick whichever I had a good angle for. If there's a really large crater, e.g. the rayed craters many moons have, then I would preferentially aim for that before I reached orbital cruise but anything you see from orbital cruise will be large enough to qualify.

I wouldn't get fixated on a particular crater, not least as they will be on the night side sometimes (and therefore ineligible for the Vagabond bonus). When I was testing it, I would just approach the day side close to the terminator where the shadows are clear, which shows up the craters well, and pick whichever I had a good angle for. If there's a really large crater, e.g. the rayed craters many moons have, then I would preferentially aim for that before I reached orbital cruise but anything you see from orbital cruise will be large enough to qualify.
With my graphics settings, that's usually the big one. Some of the medium sized ones might get visible shortly before I enter glide...

Did a test run last night. All went well, found my docking spots quickly, found a nice crater and all that jazz.
Then I went to dock at Gallimaufry... Everything was fine until it was time to extend the landing gear. To activate it, I have to hold the "B" button and press Dpad ⬇️. But the B button didn't register the hold and initialised the action for pressing the button without holding - boost. Twice in a row. 💥. 😧

I think the evaluation process for my contenders is done.

In ophidian class, it will be Jörmungandr Jr. and in open I only see Star Moth able to post a time that is a little closer to the competition.

I was contemplating using video evidence, this time, as I figured out a way to record my shenanigans, but I don't think it is feasible right now.
I did a little test video of five minutes length, which was 1.37GB in size. It took me about 1.5 hours to upload. Which, in a best case scenario, would mean I have to handle a file of about 9GB and an estimated upload time of 11 hours. With the limited power of my laptop restricting what I can do during the upload to almost nothing and only 17 GB left on the recording drive, this doesn't look good.

Last edited:
I am so glad that this ancient webcomic hasn't been snapped up by malicious site squatters like so many others have, because this particular comic sums up my feelings of working retail the week before Christmas:

(it's not quite that bad, but still...)

On a brighter note, since I wasn't successful at finding much time to play this last week, I'm using Ship of Theseus and Haulier than Thou for this race. Just arrived at the Legacy via Apex Taxi, and I just had to stop and admire the view from the Pilot's Lounge:

Source: https://youtu.be/Xx2aCXpMj4A

BTW, there's a Level 3, unmodified Artemis suit available at Pioneer Supply.

I think the evaluation process for my contenders is done.

In ophidian class, it will be Jörmungandr Jr. and in open I only see Star Moth able to post a time that is a little closer to the competition.

I was contemplating using video evidence, this time, as I figured out a way to record my shenanigans, but I don't think it is feasible right now.
I did a little test video of five minutes length, which was 1.37GB in size. It took me about 1.5 hours to upload. Which, in a best case scenario, would mean I have to handle a file of about 9GB and an estimated upload time of 11 hours. With the limited power of my laptop restricting what I can do during the upload to almost nothing and only 17 GB left on the recording drive, this doesn't look good.
It is OK to take screenshots from the video, if you want to do that. There are certainly ways of reducing the file size and my own video submissions tend to come in at just over 1 GB/hour, though they can get a bit blurry when things are in motion. Maybe someone who knows a bit more than me can give you a few hints on what to do to make recording a run more manageable.

Less than 12 hours to go now!

It is OK to take screenshots from the video, if you want to do that. There are certainly ways of reducing the file size and my own video submissions tend to come in at just over 1 GB/hour, though they can get a bit blurry when things are in motion. Maybe someone who knows a bit more than me can give you a few hints on what to do to make recording a run more manageable.

Less than 12 hours to go now!
I fear that the process of recording would pose too much of a strain on my system. And I don't want my computer to crash during a run.
I think for now, I'll just take screenshots without recording the entire trip. That worked just fine in the other races.

Less than 12 hours? Holey canoe...

Good luck, everybody, and have fun!
May always be a sliver of hull be left after touchdown.
And foremost:
May the speed be with you.

With only one entry received so far I feel that it's premature to do a leaderboard.
This entry is in Ophidian class, from CMDR Inga Stevenson, bravely racing Ship of Theseus still in her Regulation Cobra MkIII configuration from the Swift 16 season. There was an impressive spiral approach in orbital cruise to Tilley Holdings that saved some time, with two boosts on approach to the pad helping to provide a swift touchdown, aided by the glass-fronted braking features that helpfully extend about 20m up from the back of the pad behind the crash barrier, losing less than 50% of hull on impact. With a final time of 34:xx, this sets a benchmark for others to follow. o7
Fly fast!

Top Bottom