Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Prison Brake II: Brake Harder (Swift-16 Championship, Race 7)

"Barcelo Prison Blues" (with apologies to the late, great Johnny Cash)

I hear that ship a-coming
Plunging towards this moon
Sounds like it’s been flown
By a total loon
I’m stuck in Barcelo Prison
And time keeps dragging on
Whoever’s in that ship, they must be having fun

When I was just a baby
My mama said to me, “Lad,”
“Always be a good boy
Don’t loiter near landing pads.”
But that’s what I did, during The Pareco Run
Now I’m in jail, until kingdom come

I bet that’s a Buckyballer
Doing an unlimited run
Probably flying real fast
And maybe going boom
I know I had it coming, to my sorrow
But here I am stuck, on Mitterrand Hollow

Now if they freed me from this prison
If a regulation Cobra I could fly
You bet I’d move it on by quite a few LY
Far from from Barcelo prison
That’s where I’d like to stay
And I’d let those roaring thrusters
Blow all my blues away.

Last edited:
"Barcelo Prison Blues" (with apologies to the late, great Johnny Cash)

I hear that ship a-coming
Plunging towards this moon
Sounds like it’s been flown
By a total loon
I’m stuck in Barcelo Prison
And time keeps dragging on
Whoever’s in that ship, they must be having fun

When I was just a baby
My mama said to me, “Lad,”
“Always be a good boy
Don’t loiter near landing pads.”
But that’s what I did, during The Pareco Run
Now I’m in jail, until kingdom come

I bet that’s a Buckyballer
Doing an unlimited run
Probably flying real fast
And maybe going boom
I know I had it coming, to my sorrow
But here I am stuck, on Mitterrand Hollow

Now if they freed me from this prison
If a regulation Cobra I could fly
You bet I’d move it on by quite a few LY
Far from from Barcelo prison
That’s where I’d like to stay
And I’d let those roaring thrusters
Blow all my blues away.
Fantastic ... bravo! The man in (midnight) black would be proud!

Land? On Mitterrand Hollow?
It's an interesting puzzle to figure out where to be to get caught by gravity. Took me about 5 to 10 minutes.
I know some of you would already be on their way back to Kelleam Ring in the time it took me to get down there.
Not that this would stop me from participating in a race... But...
...how comfortable it feels going to penal colonies!
I definitely can't relate to that statement. It makes me nervous beyond comprehension.
As does getting a bounty on my head. Wandering about with it because of not knowing where to go to get rid of it, doesn't help alleviating the feeling.

In short: I dont feel crazy enough ready for this race.

You will once you get going. It is actually a really nice race with some interesting issues. Mitterand Hollow is never easy!
As for penal colonies, well I have spent so much time in jail that they are just a way of life for me. I have my own cells in some places! Do not worry about bounties, this race will be fines upon fines is all.

No pressure, of course, Timber... ;)

Done my scouting and set up my bookmarks. Serotonin Blues is chomping at the bit.

sb_02.jpg

For those needing to clear fines and bounties, Interstellar Factors normally are found in low security and anarchy systems. I will probably use Crick City, which orbits a ringed Earth-like World less than 20 LY away from Slink's Eye (too close to sell the exploration data but at least it will make a few Cr after the race). (Forgot the system name/number but it's almost straight down and you can search for it in the Galaxy Map). There are other IFs within a jump of the Regulation Cobra (have yet to see one with a shorter supercruise distance, though a couple are only slightly longer).

You will once you get going. It is actually a really nice race with some interesting issues. Mitterand Hollow is never easy!
As for penal colonies, well I have spent so much time in jail that they are just a way of life for me. I have my own cells in some places! Do not worry about bounties, this race will be fines upon fines is all.
Well, I managed to rack up a bounty without even landing there. I found an approximately 2.5km radius trespassing zone, in which it took about one second (at least it felt to me like that) from warning to the first fine and before I knew where to head to get out, a fine increase was issued - and the next increase already gave me a bounty.
I don't know if that is their normal behaviour if you stay in the security perimeter for more than 10 seconds or if they got wind of this...

Last edited:
For those needing to clear fines and bounties, Interstellar Factors normally are found in low security and anarchy systems. I will probably use Crick City, which orbits a ringed Earth-like World less than 20 LY away from Slink's Eye (too close to sell the exploration data but at least it will make a few Cr after the race). (Forgot the system name/number but it's almost straight down and you can search for it in the Galaxy Map). There are other IFs within a jump of the Regulation Cobra (have yet to see one with a shorter supercruise distance, though a couple are only slightly longer).
Question: If I manage to get a bounty and head to an IF, does that still mean I have to turn myself in?

The 5 closest Interstellar Factors to Slink's Eye are:
19 Phi-2 Ceti (19.74ly), Crick City (1078ls)
YZ Ceti (21.53ly), Clement Orbital (1225ls)
LHS 4058 (24.85ly), Rorschach Hub (4107ls)
Lacaille 9352 (26.38ly), Gupta City (74ls)
Losin (28.07ly), Wohler Landing (11ls)

None of them have the prison-owning factions in system as far as I could tell: I kept forgetting to go and pay the fines off yesterday so I've accumulated a fair bit. No bounties though. I don't think I've been shot at yet, either, and there were one or two places where I didn't get a fine. I don't know if it would help to go and do some missions for those factions and get friendly with them? Beyond that, I think the only secret is to get in and out as fast as possible: dive in, crash-land as close to the buildings as you can get (sometimes the landing pad is empty) and then be spooling up the engines again as soon as you're down, then boost straight up and away. 20 seconds or so?

Dunno about turning yourself in, I think that's only if you've murdered someone but I don't do enough naughty stuff to be an expert on the C&P system. Anyway, hope this helps encourage you to give it a go, if only to get your name on the board. :)

At the Interstellar Factor, you just pay off all your fines and bounties (it costs +25% compared with what you would normally pay) and then you are free to go - no need to turn yourself in.

I think there can be complications if you store a 'hot' ship, so it is best to pay off your fines/bounties asap in the ship you committed the offences in. 'Cleaning' hot modules and ships can get very expensive, very quickly.

In my test run today in my Viper MkIII, Kunai, I managed to avoid even getting fined but it would not have been a valid run because at Hume I overshot and was facing away from the buildings when landing. If you can land before getting fined, you are in the clear as the bases have a 'no-fly zone' but on the ground you are not in violation, so the countdown then starts again. The restricted area is usually a cuboid that extends up about 2.5km (might be different at different bases), so just boost out and up. If you're in a T-10 or something, probably straight ahead though... . There is a voice comms alert at Bailey iirc which was a nice touch but the countdown starts from the HUD/Covas warning, not from the end of the voice playback.

One thing I did notice, was that the no-fly zone wrapped tight around the buildings at Barcelo, such that I was almost against part of the structure, yet outside the restricted area.

Another thing I noticed was that a 1C Bi-weave with g5 enhanced low power on the Viper MkIII almost exactly absorbs an impact with a base structure at ~420 m/s. It regenerates very quickly and is back online before I reach the next system :)

I could be wrong but I thought there was an issue if the Interstellar Factors was in a station owned by the faction claiming the bounty on you. Either it doesn't work or it sends you to prison anyway. Can't remember which. Anyway, perhaps not an issue here. Oh, and don't go shooting innocent people on foot otherwise you get notoriety and then IF won't deal with you.

When I had that bounty, I didn't think of going to an IF and went to the next station (in the same system on another planet) of the issuing faction (landing there incognito, as you do if you want to evade lethal legal action against you). And there, I only had the option to turn myself in, pay 1000 Cr to be able to redeploy into my ship at a megaship in a completely different system.

The restricted area is usually a cuboid that extends up about 2.5km
The 2.5km are in every direction, as far as I experienced around Barcelo. I wasn't even close to the buildings, coming in at a low angle, barely able to see them when I got the warning. And not much closer when I got the first fine.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I thought there was an issue if the Interstellar Factors was in a station owned by the faction claiming the bounty on you. Either it doesn't work or it sends you to prison anyway. Can't remember which. Anyway, perhaps not an issue here. Oh, and don't go shooting innocent people on foot otherwise you get notoriety and then IF won't deal with you.
The faction claiming the fine/bounty doesn't need to own the station, it is enough if they have a presence there. Or own a different station/port in the same system. Had that problem not too long ago - some recovery missions ran out of time due to me having to deal with real life interference. I found myself unable to find a system where I could pay my fines - neither the normal administrative contact nor the IF would be interested in the fines I had. It took me several sessions to find a system where I could finally get rid of those fines. As I found out afterwards, every one of the other systems had the issueing faction somewhere in a port on a remote planet.

Top Bottom