The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Thargoid Structure Scramble 2 (Swift-16 Championship, Race 2)

Thanks to Alec for hosting and congratulations to all participants. Also thanks to Ozric for the bright idea of enlisting the Thargoids to help fix the planets facing the wrong way.

Very scouting intensive race for me, probably the most time spent just scouting instead of racing since Signs of Life. Lovely to see planetary landings for a change, not so thrilled about the rotational period of one planet in particular. 😆

Python run:
Source: https://youtu.be/0rkn373EZzY

Viper run:
Source: https://youtu.be/a--S-Qekc_A

Scouting data:
thargoid structure scramble 2 scouting.png

A massive THANK YOU to everyone really. It's been a really special couple of weeks. The old faces are so helpful and encouraging and the new faces are always great to see. We all hope you hang around for the rest of the season. A big congratulations to all as well. Can't wait to see what the next race has in store.

Oh. and the blog is up. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Right, finally had a go round in Odyssey - about 2¼ hours including:
2 hyperdictions
2 pirates, one just as I was about to drop at Artemis
1 CTD when dropping to Orbital Glide at the first structure, (JC-V c2-9)
Mauve Adder dropping out of Orbital Glide at the second (OD-S b4-1)
Freeze that had to be killed transferring to the SRV
Another CTD transferring to the SRV

When I got back in, I just transferred the Sensor and drove the 3km to the structure, then drove 3km out again to recall the ship.
No evidence, I think trying to run OBS as well would not have improved matters. So, I'll be staying in Legacy to race until I can afford a better PC :(

And to think, I can't even claim last place! 😭

Oh. and the blog is up. Hope you enjoy!
This is brilliant, highly recommended post-race reading!

Also wanted to shoutout Cmdr Indigo's really enthusiastic and informative report on the race from this week's Loose Screws podcast, also well worth a listen. Timestamped youtube link here, also available in weekly podcast form.

Source: https://youtu.be/pTqGieYxKtI?t=524

Luckily this doesn't alter the positions (although perhaps it will make Epaphus feel slightly better?).
Makes me more annoyed at myself for not Buckyballing hard enough and going for the a sub 19 time after being happy at getting a sub 20 😂

Stewards enquiry #2 - seems I'm quite prone to short changing the winners of an extra 10 seconds, I've done it to Sgurr too.
Sgurr went even faster? 😲

It's funny isn't it - we tell ourselves we're going as fast as we can but when this happens we immediately think "heck, I could easily have gone 1 second faster".
Specially when its something silly like the ship didn't stick the pad and bounced a little so there was an extra second or so getting it to dock.

Thanks for hosting the race Alec.
Planetary alignments certainly made it interesting, hoping obscured jumps would clear up as it went on only find more jumps became obscured. The early rush with getting some decent times in early before Update 15 dropped helped there. My first times of a race are normally just to get a time on the board, never thought it would be by fastest time.

I was just thinking this morning it seems somewhat fitting that the original Thargoid Structure Scramble was my second Buckyball race and I'm come in second on the re-run. :)

I've got my race videos up.

Cobra

DBX

Time to shift focus into the new Update 15 stuff until the next race :alien:

Makes me more annoyed at myself for not Buckyballing hard enough and going for the a sub 19 time after being happy at getting a sub 20 😂

Specially when its something silly like the ship didn't stick the pad and bounced a little so there was an extra second or so getting it to dock.

Planetary alignments certainly made it interesting, hoping obscured jumps would clear up as it went on only find more jumps became obscured. The early rush with getting some decent times in early before Update 15 dropped helped there. My first times of a race are normally just to get a time on the board, never thought it would be by fastest time.

I was just thinking this morning it seems somewhat fitting that the original Thargoid Structure Scramble was my second Buckyball race and I'm come in second on the re-run. :)

Cobra

DBX

I'm not the only believer in litho braking I see, nice flying.
I was not aware the scanner worked in combat mode. 🤯

Cobra

DBX

That's a tidy run, nice!

Although I had a bit of a misophonic reaction to the sounds of drive assist on :oops:

I need to get out more :LOL:

Enjoyed yours too Shaye o7
edit: and it's baffling how many little things you can miss in this game

I'd like to thanks Alec for hosting this race, and everyone who got to participate. Unfortunately, Real Life decided it wasn't getting enough attention, and pretty much consumed all my screen time last week. Still haven't gotten it all back, but at least the worst of my problems continues to be not having enough free time for one of my hobbies. :)

Looking forward to the next race.

edit:

and catching up on the race thread. Can't forget that. ;)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Systems chosen for either Thargoid site (unlimited):

32 x PLEIADES SECTOR OD-S B4-1
13 x PLEIADES SECTOR JC-V C2-9
10 x PLEIADES SECTOR IH-V C2-3
8 x PLEIADES SECTOR WE-Q B5-2
2 x PLEIADES SECTOR EC-U B3-0
1 x PLEIADES SECTOR JM-W D1-52
1 x PLEIADES SECTOR EB-X C1-2
1 x COL 285 SECTOR CC-K 38-2
Now even though I only did one entry per racer the systems that were chosen this time in the unlimited class are so much more streamlined that when I ran it. Obviously I ran it pre Odyssey, so Delphi is in the list, but I wasn't expecting to see as much of a difference as this.
1684311175256.png

Part of me really does wonder why it's so different, especially as the fourth highest on mine isn't even in the current race.

Now even though I only did one entry per racer the systems that were chosen this time in the unlimited class are so much more streamlined that when I ran it. Obviously I ran it pre Odyssey, so Delphi is in the list, but I wasn't expecting to see as much of a difference as this.
View attachment 356117

Part of me really does wonder why it's so different, especially as the fourth highest on mine isn't even in the current race.
Different finish line maybe? (obviously a different start too but that's irrelevant since the crash site is a mandatory first stop).

View attachment 356117

I don't remember where yours finished Ozric but for regulation on an obstructed route it was a choice between HH-V C2-13 or OD-S B4-1 for my second stop and the OD-S B4-1 world was 500ls closer.

It if had been a 3 structure race I suspect it would have been used.

edit: With unobstructed jumps it was simply too far away

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I don't remember where yours finished Ozric but for regulation on an obstructed route it was a choice between HH-V C2-13 or OD-S B4-1 for my second stop and the OD-S B4-1 world was 500ls closer.

It if had been a 3 structure race I suspect it would have been used.

edit: With unobstructed jumps it was simply too far away
Mine was Reed's Rest in Merope, so obscured jumps could have played a bif part in the decisions.

View attachment 356117

I ran Pleiades Sector OD-S b4-1 -> Pleiades Sector EC-U b3-0 -> Pleiades Sector HH-V c2-13 in your race. It's right between those other two so I picked it up on the return trip for "free". No extra jumps, but further away from the star. In a race with 3 stops it's perfect, with only 2 it's not optimal, there are several better options.

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I should have used the handbrake instead to stop the SRV :)
I do normally have drive assist off when I'm flying the SRV, I didn't bother with the short trips on this race.

Don't be sorry, I was poking fun at myself for having that reaction.

Although, obviously DA-off / handbrake is the way and you would've been faster ;)

Hey @Alec Turner , Just now on Lav Radio you mentioned people doing research to try to figure out what's wrong with the System Map, and was told that the map is always 180 degrees flipped... During this race when I did those Tidally Locked Thargoid site Orrey pics, I was also doing similar research trying to figure out when it would end up being daytime on the thargoid sites... that same day I went back to the bubble to rest my brain and do some on-foot CZ's.... I kept flipping back and forth from 1 side of the sun to the other within 1 system to find a planet site where I wanted to do a CZ, and noticed about half the locations within a single system were correctly lit with daylight and the other half were not. I realized back then that, because I had also been told about 180 degrees, that that theory must be off. I rarely go back and forth like that so I hadn't noticed that before from within the single system... But this was the theory I came up with when I realized something was off...
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/system-map-question.616529/post-10135569

Nobody followed up on that thread to do a test to see if my theory was correct, so I abandoned it. If I am correct, It would be too difficult to constantly flip the visual to understand where the sun would be each time anyway. But it seems that you like this kind of stuff since you mentioned it... and I did figure this out because of studying positioning for the race (although it didn't help me not 1 bit)... so I figured I'd post it here so you can check it out.... I did this test in 3 different systems and all so far seemed correct... could have been coincidence?... maybe...

(Edit)...
I just thought of a way to properly prove my theory, but since I will be away from home for 2 weeks, I can not test now, so I'm adding this here to remind myself... I will go to multiple systems throughout the bubble... I will mark a northern location directly opposite of the galactic core like the Jellyfish nebula (maybe more north of central plane is better) to make sure I am always approaching the planet at the exact same direction from galactic core... I will land on galactic north, south and right (east?) side only... and do this on planets of multiple sides of the sun to be able to properly compare all data. I will take pictures of both planetary picture and orrey view zoomed in but not rotated at the 3 sides... I will not do a left (west) side so that it is absolute which orientation I am taking the pictures from.
... Don't judge me... all of yall playing this game are 'crazy' too.

Last edited:
Hey @Alec Turner , Just now on Lav Radio you mentioned people doing research to try to figure out what's wrong with the System Map, and was told that the map is always 180 degrees flipped... During this race when I did those Tidally Locked Thargoid site Orrey pics, I was also doing similar research trying to figure out when it would end up being daytime on the thargoid sites... that same day I went back to the bubble to rest my brain and do some on-foot CZ's.... I kept flipping back and forth from 1 side of the sun to the other within 1 system to find a planet site where I wanted to do a CZ, and noticed about half the locations within a single system were correctly lit with daylight and the other half were not. I realized back then that, because I had also been told about 180 degrees, that that theory must be off. I rarely go back and forth like that so I hadn't noticed that before from within the single system... But this was the theory I came up with when I realized something was off...
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/system-map-question.616529/post-10135569

Nobody followed up on that thread to do a test to see if my theory was correct, so I abandoned it. If I am correct, It would be too difficult to constantly flip the visual to understand where the sun would be each time anyway. But it seems that you like this kind of stuff since you mentioned it... and I did figure this out because of studying positioning for the race (although it didn't help me not 1 bit)... so I figured I'd post it here so you can check it out.... I did this test in 3 different systems and all so far seemed correct... could have been coincidence?... maybe...

(Edit)...
I just thought of a way to properly prove my theory, but since I will be away from home for 2 weeks, I can not test now, so I'm adding this here to remind myself... I will go to multiple systems throughout the bubble... I will mark a northern location directly opposite of the galactic core like the Jellyfish nebula (maybe more north of central plane is better) to make sure I am always approaching the planet at the exact same direction from galactic core... I will land on galactic north, south and right (east?) side only... and do this on planets of multiple sides of the sun to be able to properly compare all data. I will take pictures of both planetary picture and orrey view zoomed in but not rotated at the 3 sides... I will not do a left (west) side so that it is absolute which orientation I am taking the pictures from.
... Don't judge me... all of yall playing this game are 'crazy' too.
Thanks Willyum. I hate announcing false information so I'll have to make a retraction statement on next week's show but I love the theory (a fixed light source for all the planets in the system map which isn’t the star, possibly Sag A*?, sounds plausible, although annoying as it makes determining the lighting conditions for a given settlement difficult if not nearly impossible again but I'm definitely interested in trying to prove the theory).

I hate announcing false information so I'll have to make a retraction statement on next week's show
No No lol... not yet. I will be back home in 2 weeks to do proper full testing and make video or pics to either prove or disprove '180 degrees', 'System Map perspective', 'flipped poles'... all of it. 3 systems can still be in coincidence territory. I never want to be the person to bend facts to fit my theory... So if I am wrong about this I will absolutely let you know I was chasing a ghost. If I am correct, I will also want to take a quick run up to Colonia to test Where perspective center point is... (was supposed to go this week, then 'family needs' hit).

So no retractions yet lol... I actually might be getting back home 2 days before the next race so I can even do some of the testing in the systems we race in.

Also I don't know if you saw, when you guys was talking about the Titan Blast, you mentioned triggering it.... You know I've already seen you a few time inside... but I never told you that 1 of the times that you triggered the blast, I was down by the yellow central core... I was totally unprepared for the blast, I was sending in prospector limpets, so I didn't trigger my pulse neutralizer... but because I was under the those long tips coming from the Yellow core (where interceptors go in and out), I wasn't harmed at all... but as soon as I turned around I saw your charred Chieftain floating by in pieces... So I'm guessing you had to be right on the other side of those 'lightning tips'. I have the video, but I'm guessing other people must have experienced this safe-zone and reported it already. I do have an extremely cold build (13.6% idle and 15.5% with normal thrust (not boost).. it can also 'silent run' for a very long time. But I really don't think it was my temps, I believe it was a safe zone close to the Titan.
https://inara.cz/elite/cmdr-fleet-ship/368327/3646399/

Top Bottom