The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Thargoid Structure Scramble 2 (Swift-16 Championship, Race 2)

Alec, I submitted my final run just now... Same as posted above. Please let me know if I got the screenshots correct for future race purposes. Or so I can correct now.

@Epaphus I added screenshots to my post above cause it seems I'm consistently having LiveSplit reporting my run as 3 seconds faster than it is. So not sure if it's just my PC or LiveSplit...
They're great, exactly what I asked for. No need to send me the livesplit tho, I will just ignore that and its timings. Everyone gets judged exactly the same on the in-game HUD clock.

@Epaphus I added screenshots to my post above cause it seems I'm consistently having LiveSplit reporting my run as 3 seconds faster than it is. So not sure if it's just my PC or LiveSplit...
LiveSplit takes it from the logs, there is delay between it being logged in journal and the UI updating. Found it to be around 1-2 seconds to draw the UI.
The official timing in Buckyball uses in the in game clock, Livesplit is there for your own reference.

LiveSplit takes it from the logs, there is delay between it being logged in journal and the UI updating. Found it to be around 1-2 seconds to draw the UI.
The official timing in Buckyball uses in the in game clock, Livesplit is there for your own reference.
Awesome...
Got a question, now that I have submitted my final times, I was thinking about heading back to Colonia at some point in the next few weeks to finish engineering a few ships I have stored up there, and to possibly finish my trip to Beagle... Would you happen to know about how long I have to make sure I'm back for the next Buckyball race? Also the O.P. SLF/SRV races (looks like the (mid-month) meet-up didn't happen yesterday)?

Just posted best attempt - not going to change much but my PB for this run. Kicking myself a bit as I realised how to save a few more seconds (even maybe a couple of minutes) after I'd done it, but didn't have a chance until later in week, by which time planets were unaligned (also I think some state changed 'cos later in week I just kept getting INterdicted by nosey pirates - arrrrrrrr (etc. etc.) Probably not enough for top ten but still loadsa fun!!! Thanks and o7 Alec.

Now heading off to maelstroms to mine Titans - because that's apparently a thing now o_O

Last edited:
Awesome...
Got a question, now that I have submitted my final times, I was thinking about heading back to Colonia at some point in the next few weeks to finish engineering a few ships I have stored up there, and to possibly finish my trip to Beagle... Would you happen to know about how long I have to make sure I'm back for the next Buckyball race? Also the O.P. SLF/SRV races (looks like the (mid-month) meet-up didn't happen yesterday)?
I'm running the next race, likely to be 10-18th June. Hopefully that's enough time o7

I don't want to be awake at this time of the morning but since i am.

Awesome to see new and nearly new names again despite the galaxy's distractions o7 to all

That was wicked fun, i adore planetary approaches when I'm not face planting out of SC that is.

Managed to get regulation and unlimited runs that i felt happy with. There's always more time to be had but I'm more inclined to say good enough these days.

Awesome race Alec, thanks for running ( and idea Ozric), loved how fast it was to get round, i only swore at the Thargoids once when 3 hyperdictions in 9 jumps, and maybe at finding good landing spots a few times.

Just brilliant.

Will get submitting and keep fingers crossed they're actually valid

Just spent the weekend trying and failing to get a run without stupid mistakes, so last Friday's run is submitted. After totting up the videos I have 27 starts in the reg Cobra and 16 finishes, and 34 Dolphin starts with 22 finishes. Dunno about anyone else, but I think that's the most out of any race I've done!

Structures used were at Pleiades Sector JC-V c2-9 and Pleiades Sector OD-S b4-1 for all attempts in both ships, this route seemed to give the fewest jumps for the Cobra that I could find.

Big thanks to Alec for running a fantastic race, to Ozric for the original and to Shaye for his video of the winning run from that race - I took several ideas from that to get quite an improvement in my times!

Just spent the weekend trying and failing to get a run without stupid mistakes, so last Friday's run is submitted. After totting up the videos I have 27 starts in the reg Cobra and 16 finishes, and 34 Dolphin starts with 22 finishes. Dunno about anyone else, but I think that's the most out of any race I've done!

Structures used were at Pleiades Sector JC-V c2-9 and Pleiades Sector OD-S b4-1 for all attempts in both ships, this route seemed to give the fewest jumps for the Cobra that I could find.

Big thanks to Alec for running a fantastic race, to Ozric for the original and to Shaye for his video of the winning run from that race - I took several ideas from that to get quite an improvement in my times!
That's some serious effort Arrowroot! 👏

Same route for me in regulation, 9 jumps total after dealing with obscured ones.

17 cobra starts but only 6 finishes due to silly mistakes and aborting when i knew it was slow to re-scout.
(Like when i realised i was still carrying round escape pods I'd rescued on the previous abort :LOL:)

1 scouting run in unlimited, then 2 starts, 2 finishes, and surprisingly happy with the result.

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting a great race @Alec Turner :)

I didn't have nearly as much time to perfect any runs, but I've submitted a couple that didn't suffer my inept flying too much. Had a frustrating time with this one getting stuck under the Cobra lots and always having obscured jumps, but it was great fun bouncing around in the Thargoid structures again. Love the atmosphere in them.

I bumped into another CMDR at the Sensor site when logging back in on Saturday after an aborted Friday attempt. He was gathering sensors to sell from his carrier and we had a good chat about Buckyballing (he hadn't heard of it) and a few other aspects of the game. Always good to see other players when racing, although the best point for me was yesterday when four or five of us were all racing in the same instance at the same time. I was grinning like a madman until I crashed out going too fast approaching the second planet and I saw @Ozric whistling past me. Great fun.

Well that was a race and one hell of a lot of fun. I have to say also with all of the new names now on and such a close race it was difficult to stay up the field. This is how it should be of course. Brilliant race with little difference in "feel" whether in Unlimited or Regulation (genius). I only raced for 4 of the seven days, but dam I enjoyed them all the same. Thank You Alec and congratulations to everyone who took part and making this another triumph for Buckyball racing.

Now I need to go have a chat with E.T for a few days and maybe poke him a few times too.

Settles down with morning coffee, checks submissions ...

o_O

Flippin' heck - you folks love leaving it until the final day to do all your racing! This might take a while.

typing-fast.gif

OK, since the last update I've had Unlimited entries from .. (takes a deep breath)

Alec, Bruski, Caelum, Epaphus, Martinjameson, Sgurr, Shaye, Sulu, Willyum

.. and Regulation entries from ..

Bruski, Caelum, Draig, Fearles, Leeya, MrIndigo, Sgurr, Sinister Hedgehog, Stobi Wan, Sulu

Please note - these are in alphabetical order so don't draw any conclusions!

What I will tease now tho' is that there has been considerable top-10 shakeup in at least one of the leaderboards!

SjLlBTH.png

I'm gonna wait another hour or so before posting the final results so if you have submissions to send then let me know asap.

While we wait, was anyone else reminded of this when their frantic race action was interrupted by a hyperdiction shutdown and they had to force themselves to calmly sit and wait until they could launch straight back into it again?

uzLX54A.gif

Waiting on these results? Don't fret like Maul, be like Qui-Gon and find a moment of inner peace!

While we wait, was anyone else reminded of this when their frantic race action was interrupted by a hyperdiction shutdown and they had to force themselves to calmly sit and wait until they could launch straight back into it again?

uzLX54A.gif

Waiting on these results? Don't fret like Maul, be like Qui-Gon and find a moment of inner peace!
That was pretty much me all week, waiting for the crash site planet to start rotating faster. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom