Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Lavecon Lockdown Challenge

P.S. a quick tip (and why I've given some of you a better time than you claimed). When you select to deploy your SRV or legs at the start there's a very brief moment when the view swings back to normal (with the HUD clock in shot again) before the fade to black. You can grab your start screenshot from here (which is actually about 3 seconds later than the moment just before you select deploy). Since some people will already be doing this with their screenshots I've given video submissions the benefit of the doubt and taken the start times from that later moment.

It does? :unsure: I might be able to shave ~3 secs off my time just by reviewing the footage again 😁

I had a little look around the race site earlier. Is pretty.
Bug at Kremavi towers.jpg

I'm not very good at following instructions.
Bug is not very good at keeping clear.jpg

You've found a lovely place to have a look around though. I especially like the entry and exit ramps that extend to the planet's surface, so that you don't need to bump the buggy to get in.
Bug outside Kremavi base.jpg

I'm not going to do a run, my frame rates are still way too poor to contemplate it. (There's also the following instructions thing) But it is a very pretty place to have a look around, with the base being in permanent sunlight.

Just added a couple more FAQ's (hopefully these don't mess up anyone plans or existing runs too much).

Q) Can I employ an NPC pilot and get them to dock the fighter?
A) No, you have to manually dock the fighter back with the mothership yourself.

Q) Can I use the docking computer to land my ship at the end?
A) No, you have to manually land the ship yourself.

The docking computer would likely be slower anyway
Perhaps. I remember WAYYYY back when it first came up in one of my races (possibly Outpost Dash) comparing the two as the Ramones vs. The Blue Danube and saying if people wanted to use the latter's leisurely approach then feel free ... and then actually trying the docking computer and slightly eating my words.

Scoreboard update time!

Odyssey results

PositionCmdr NameShip nameSRV nameSLF nameModeTime
1SgurrDriftfinder GeneralUncertain emotionsBarrier magnetOdyssey05:1?
2Shaye BlackwoodEmilySpeedwagonArtemisOdyssey05:2?
3Aken B.Albion SkunkThe Tumbling InitiativeThe Bumbling InitiativeOdyssey07:0?
4SuluThe VaccinatorHyperdermicNeedleOdyssey07:2?
5EpaphusHull integrity criticalSpinny BoiTunnel PhobiaOdyssey07:3?
6ElfenerElfener's Lavecon TaxiTotally DriveableNotAFighterOdyssey08:1?

Horizons results

PositionCmdr NameShip nameSRV nameSLF nameModePlatformTime
1Shaye BlackwoodEmilySpeedwagonArtemisHorizonsPC04:5?
2MantiSkunkbackPretty Little DittyTaipan #1706HorizonsPC05:0?
3Stan2021BRICK GOES BRRRRRRRRRRCanopy is for breakingBreaking is overratedHorizonsPC06:5?
4Elastul Ma'FerBrickLittle Dune BuggyOut of ControlHorizonsPC07:2?
5TechyMr BQuick BrickTorvillPancakeHorizonsXBOX07:4?
6Edelgard von RheinEyes Wide OpenSpin CycleRed RobinHorizonsPC10:4?

As you can see a lot has happened! First of all I've revealed another digit on the times as things are already getting excitingly close. Manti has been making steady improvements (and steady destruction of Tapians) in Horizons, getting dangerously close to the 5 minute barrier - but now learns what it feels like when Shaye Blackwood switches over to your race class. Shaye breaks that barrier and posts our first sub-5 minute Horizons run to take 1st place. However ... switching class is always a problem because no sooner do you do so than someone else beats your time in the other class. And so we welcome Pomeche ridge champion Cmdr Sgurr to the race. Sgurr's first submission beats Shaye's previous time and his second increases the lead, taking first place in Odyssey with a time also pretty darn close to that 5 minute barrier. Alas Sgurr has to leave us now, with a gauntlet well and truly thrown down. Elsewhere, Sulu has been making steady progress in Odyssey but alas has also now been kicked off the podium by veteran racer Aken B. who drops into 3rd place with a time just a tad over 7 minutes. We also welcome another new racer to the Horizons leaderboard, Cmdr Stan2021 flying another brick (I see a theme emerging here!) with a terrific first time that's under 7 minutes and which puts him in 3rd place.

P.S. I've taken the Platform column out of the Odyssey leaderboard since it's kinda redundant.

Fantastic racing one and all and I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

o7

Last edited:
After a marathon (for me) session last night, I managed to arrive at a fleet carrier along my route back to the Bubble that was (luckily) selling ships. It might have cost me a million credits to take the “express taxi” back to the Bubble, and will cost me another 34m to ship Krait Caesar’s Ghost back as well, but Commander Stevenson is back home!

And so… intent to race:

Commander: Inga Stevenson
Ship’s Name: Great White
Fighter’s Name: Remoras
SRV’s Name: Hail a Crab

After a marathon (for me) session last night, I managed to arrive at a fleet carrier along my route back to the Bubble that was (luckily) selling ships. It might have cost me a million credits to take the “express taxi” back to the Bubble, and will cost me another 34m to ship Krait Caesar’s Ghost back as well, but Commander Stevenson is back home!

And so… intent to race:

Commander: Inga Stevenson
Ship’s Name: Great White
Fighter’s Name: Remoras
SRV’s Name: Hail a Crab
Welcome back Inga ... glad to hear that Remlok Taxis ("The Dead Fast Taxi Service") has managed to bring you home safely efficiently.

It's day 5 of the Lavecon Lockdown challenge and time for another leaderboard update.

Odyssey results

1SgurrDriftfinder GeneralUncertain emotionsBarrier magnetOdysseyPC05:1?
2Shaye BlackwoodEmilySpeedwagonArtemisOdysseyPC05:2?
3Aken B.Albion SkunkThe Tumbling InitiativeThe Bumbling InitiativeOdysseyPC06:5?
4SuluThe VaccinatorHyperdermicNeedleOdysseyPC07:2?
5EpaphusHull integrity criticalSpinny BoiTunnel PhobiaOdysseyPC07:3?
6ElfenerElfener's Lavecon TaxiTotally DriveableNotAFighterOdysseyPC08:1?
7New Model 15StuckoFlat SpinPaintScraperOdysseyPC11:5?

Horizons results

1Shaye BlackwoodEmilySpeedwagonArtemisHorizonsPC04:3?
2MantiSkunkbackPretty Little DittyTaipan #1706HorizonsPC05:0?
3Stan2021BRICK GOES BRRRRRRRRRRCanopy is for breakingBreaking is overratedHorizonsPC06:5?
4Elastul Ma'FerBrickLittle Dune BuggyOut of ControlHorizonsPC07:2?
5TechyMr BQuick BrickTorvillPancakeHorizonsXBOX07:4?
6Edelgard von RheinEyes Wide OpenSpin CycleRed RobinHorizonsPC09:3?

First up Edelgard von Rhein shaves nearly a minute off their previous time, staying in 6th place on the Horizons board but slowly gaining on TechyMr B.

Then Aken B. breaks through the 7 minute barrier in Odyssey, staying in 3rd place and increasing that gap ahead of Sulu.

Next we welcome another new racer to the challenge, Cmdr New Model 15, who got the Keelback stuck and is not yet in harmony with their SRV but still managed an eleven minute something run to finish the Odyssey challenge in 7th place. As I always say at this point ... the only way is up!

And lastly Shaye is back, but (for now at least) is staying cool and simply solidifying that 1st place Horizons position by knocking another 20 seconds or so off his time in an astonishing run clocking in at just over four and a half minutes.

Pretty much the halfway point and we've yet to see submissions from a couple of other Buckyball veterans plus I know @psykit (who I now realise did not have a good first days racing - plagued by SRV docking issues and a hostile station) is still hoping to try again.

Happy racing everyone!

o7

Last edited:
Top Bottom