General / Off-Topic The Covid vaccine must be mandatory ?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Got my second jab today. They also gave me a vaccine card and told me to carry it around in my wallet, they are anticipating that it's going to come in very useful soon.

Let us know what the effects are like, as you are in the position of having the disease itself recently.

Globally, the case counts have turned upwards again over the last few days. Bad news. Was hoping the trend would persist till more were covered.

Case counts have been bad in Brazil in particular and US numbers are beginning to rebound.

Let us know what the effects are like, as you are in the position of having the disease itself recently.

Globally, the case counts have turned upwards again over the last few days. Bad news. Was hoping the trend would persist till more were covered.

Case counts have been bad in Brazil in particular and US numbers are beginning to rebound.
The vaccine is a kind of a joke like the flu shot.

In a few months the virus will acclimatize and the vaccine will be 40% effective like that of the flu.

An annual vaccination with random results, will be recommended as for influenza.

And a possible vaccination passport in some countries will no longer be considered and will languish at the bottom of the wallet without any consideration.

Have you ever seen a vaccine passport for the flu ? Ridiculous.

In two, three years the epidemic will no longer exist severely and the chocolate passport can be hung on the living room wall or stored at the bottom of a drawer in the bedroom.

:)

😷

One of the largest determinants of human survival is IQ.

One hypothesis is that metabolic syndrome drops both IQ and causes the mortality too.
So the same thing that gives insulin resistance, high blood pressure, increased clotting, and obesity is causing poor success in life, lower income, increased criminality, and lesser socioeconomic status with consequent poorer mating choices with increased divorce, child care disruption etc.

Higher IQ is required to perform cognitive general tasks better. Lowering it poses a threat to national security via both acelerated population depletion and poverty, the two factors that predicate the maintainence of armed force.

As we've seen: it's a direct threat to population size during national crises. Bad policy decisions cause mass deaths.

Is the rise of antivaccination connected to metabolic syndrome in industrialized nations? Maybe not, since antivax beliefs are also held in affluent enclaves of well educated populations, with no discernable predilection for obesity.
Stupid humans, tend to groups things, into set categories. E.I. One vaccine is genuinely bad, in some way, therefore, all vaccines are bad.

Make sense?

Pfizer vaccine.

The site is aching feels like the hep-b jab. No fever or lethargy this time (so far). Oddly last night the first jab site ached a bit, I got them to do the other arm this time. Very thirsty and whizzing like a horse again.

It's only been twelve hours though so maybe too early to say there's no fever.

The staff at the vaccination centre were great. Students volunteering, servicemen drafted in glad to be busy and NHS staff who've burned out and volunteered as they can't do their actual roles anymore right now. Health worker PTSD is going to be a huge thing once we are through this.

I was right at the end of the day so I was doing the fifteen minute wait as they shut down and decided what to do with the spare doses from no-shows, the volunteers and servicemen got the extra jabs with very little wastage as they shut down the entrance door and admin they just cycled those staff through the system closing the waiting area last.

In France to date, 2.8 million people have received at least one dose of the vaccine, and among them 1.4 million have received two doses.

After that, no one will be able to say that France is not making efforts despite the immense shortage of the vaccine.

😷

Head immunity is fine however it is achieved because then the hospitals can cope with the yearly COVID death rate and start concentrating on treating everyone with other illnesses again.
It would be better if we could eradicate it as with smallpox. Not an easy achievement in a post facts society though.

It'll probably end up like polio a historical problem most places, with hotspots driven by religious or psudoscientific objections elsewhere.

It would be better if we could eradicate it as with smallpox. Not an easy achievement in a post facts society though.

It'll probably end up like polio a historical problem most places, with hotspots driven by religious or psudoscientific objections elsewhere.

It's going to hang in the background. Animal transmission will keep it around. Hopefully it degrades lethality as it keeps adapting to hosts. Once we get a fast spreading mild form, vaccination becomes irrelevant.

It's going to hang in the background. Animal transmission will keep it around. Hopefully it degrades lethality as it keeps adapting to hosts. Once we get a fast spreading mild form, vaccination becomes irrelevant.
I’ve wondered what makes it mild. By mild, do we mean it doesn’t hijack so many cells? Or doesn’t trigger such a devastating immune response?
We’ve got the ability to modify the virus genetically, could we not engineer a fast spreading mild form or is this simply too unethical and or dangerous?
It doesn’t seem so far removed from engineering a vaccine and giving it to everyone!
Ed: yeah, of course there’s reactions in some people whom we can avoid with vaccines, I suppose.

Last edited:
We don't actually know enough about how viruses work to go and edit them and pray for a result, so, yeah, it's dangerous. Our understanding of genetics is still primitive.

Slower spread, infecting less vital parts of a person, less lethal symptoms.

Head immunity is fine however it is achieved because then the hospitals can cope with the yearly COVID death rate and start concentrating on treating everyone with other illnesses again.
Exactly the most important here.

And 20% -40% of the population can be exempt from vaccination.

😷

I’ve wondered what makes it mild. By mild, do we mean it doesn’t hijack so many cells? Or doesn’t trigger such a devastating immune response?
We’ve got the ability to modify the virus genetically, could we not engineer a fast spreading mild form or is this simply too unethical and or dangerous?
It doesn’t seem so far removed from engineering a vaccine and giving it to everyone!
Ed: yeah, of course there’s reactions in some people whom we can avoid with vaccines, I suppose.

Contagious vaccines do happen, it's avoided in people but not regarded as such a big problem in veterinary medicine.

Exactly the most important here.

And 20% -40% of the population can be exempt from vaccination.

😷

3.6% are immunocompromised. A higher percentage have allergies, very few of which actually apply to the three big covid vaccines so they should check and inform whoever's giving them the shot. Food, egg and insect sting allergies for example are not a risk.

An even larger percentage believe erroneously they have allergies having failed at food or personal hygiene with messy results at some point.

Contagious vaccines do happen, it's avoided in people but not regarded as such a big problem in veterinary medicine.

News to me. Don't know vet stuff. Interesting.
Found an older piece here:

Could be a strategy to cope with human antivaccine behaviour going forward. They are likely to freak out over contagious vaccines that require no permission, much more than actual viruses. Probably might get them to try avoidance tactics that the disease fails to.

Maybe virologists know how to change things safely, but in the wild we can't predict random mutation making variants. The only way is to rush it out fast, infect a lot of first contacts, and prevent mutation by getting to herd fast. Fumigate crowds maybe?

News to me. Don't know vet stuff. Interesting.
Found an older piece here:

Could be a strategy to cope with human antivaccine behaviour going forward. They are likely to freak out over contagious vaccines that require no permission, much more than actual viruses. Probably might get them to try avoidance tactics that the disease fails to.

Maybe virologists know how to change things safely, but in the wild we can't predict random mutation making variants. The only way is to rush it out fast, infect a lot of first contacts, and prevent mutation by getting to herd fast. Fumigate crowds maybe?

In theory any live attenuated virus vaccine could be just as contagious as the original. According to the WHO there was a polio outbreak caused by a vaccine where the recipients were excreting live polio and infecting others, tragically it had mutated back to the harmful form in the recipients without harming them but did harm the unvaccinated.

A mild virus doesn’t do much damage AND doesn’t trigger a devastating immune response. A cold is almost all immune response and hardly any damage. Ebola is almost all damage (cells exploding) but it wipes itself out because it’s too deadly.

We probably could modify the virus to be fantastically successful and mild by intention but it will evolve all the time no matter if we intervene or not. We could change it in such a way that we accidentally make it worse.

It’s less risky (morally) to adapt our responses than to deliberately genetically modify it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom