The cult of the Space Legs

There’s a ton of players out there barking and chasing after the space legs car. Every time I see a post about it I can’t help but imagine frontier putting off important things and finally saying to hell with it and quickly creating something that will allow you to catch the space legs car so they can stand there and watch all of you look at the coffee maker and in unison abandon the space legs cult and create the let me make a cup of coffee cult which will eventually turn into the why isn’t frontier focusing on the important stuff cult.

I try to understand why anyone wants to log into the game and get up from their seat and go look at some panels or take a closer look at the wires over there. Now if you guys seriously think they are going to create a brand new games worth of content and work just so you can walk around stations and instead of accepting missions from the cockpit having to take a train and navigate endless routes just to talk to an npc and turn around and walk back to your ship to fly off then you are not in touch with the reality of the game.

I’m starting a new cult. It’s called the I really hope frontier is focusing on the real issues and not space legs cult. Feel free to join. The only requirement is that you’re not a barking lunatic chasing disembodied legs in space.

Some of it (ranting) is just bizarre. I remember a post or two about how the player wants to feel 'separated' from their ship. Almost choked on my coffee with that one. Those with little imagination I guess.

I play high-fidelity flight and racing sims and have never felt like I was the car or plane. But maybe that's just me.

I too would rather have FD concentrate on real issues and depth of gameplay. :)

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
There’s a ton of players out there barking and chasing after the space legs car.

You left out the part about the driver of that car being David Braben...

In the Elite Dangerous Development Plan video, David Braben talks about walking on planets, animals, being a big game hunter. The ships have been designed with interiors in mind. For example walk around in ships, other people's ships, stations and vehicles in the future.[URL="http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Legs#cite_note-1"][2][/URL]Multicrew and Holo-Me are the foundation for space legs

Well I'm already in a cult so I can't really join, unless it's actually possible to be in more than one at a time, but that would be total lunacy! :D

I do agree with you though, I'd much rather be able to land on atmospherics, fly through gas giants, explore the depths of a waterworld or get chased by thargoids through the canyons of an ammonia world long before I would want to get up from my space chair.

Not that I wouldn't say no to getting space legs, but it's pretty low on the list of things I'd like to see in Elite.

Last edited:
There’s a ton of players out there barking and chasing after the space legs car. Every time I see a post about it I can’t help but imagine frontier putting off important things and finally saying to hell with it and quickly creating something that will allow you to catch the space legs car so they can stand there and watch all of you look at the coffee maker and in unison abandon the space legs cult and create the let me make a cup of coffee cult which will eventually turn into the why isn’t frontier focusing on the important stuff cult.
FDev are not going to put off stuff that they deem important. If and when they add space legs is when they think it is the correct time.

I try to understand why anyone wants to log into the game and get up from their seat and go look at some panels or take a closer look at the wires over there. Now if you guys seriously think they are going to create a brand new games worth of content and work just so you can walk around stations and instead of accepting missions from the cockpit having to take a train and navigate endless routes just to talk to an npc and turn around and walk back to your ship to fly off then you are not in touch with the reality of the game.
I want space legs, but I expect space legs to open up new options of gameplay just like horizons did with planetary landings and the SRV.

I’m starting a new cult. It’s called the I really hope frontier is focusing on the real issues and not space legs cult. Feel free to join. The only requirement is that you’re not a barking lunatic chasing disembodied legs in space.
Good for you, but I think it is a waste of time starting this new cult as FDev seem to be doing this anyway. They may have a small team working on space legs and earth like planets and other long term projects, but the majority of them will be working on the core updates as they said they were.

If space legs is to come, expect it in about 4 years time, giving FDev plenty of time to improve the base game.

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
...I can’t help but imagine frontier putting off important things and finally saying to hell with it and quickly creating something...
That's not how Frontier do things. If enough people post about a thing they may tweek stuff a bit, but no amount of salt from the community will make them change their road map. If space legs are on that road map you can be sure they are already working on it and have been for some time.

Last edited:
The space legs Craziness has happened at the moment because Fdev made a Trailer that was a massive Troll at the players.

Walking past A Galnet Video wall.
Standing next to the ship, looking up at it and saying "it reminds you how small you are".
Walking onto a lift and the lift taking you upto the ship door to enter the ship.
Walking and Standing in the ship with other Cmdrs or NPCs.
Walking to and sitting down in the CMDRs Chair, which then animates into position and the Side panels animate into place.

Then they showed the new ship a bit and the End titles.

Dont want people to SCREAM we want space legs NOW.
Then dont make a video that is showing exactly that with a ship tagged on at THE END.

Last edited:

Wouldn't it be awesome to get out of our chair, run around in stations, shoot at people in first person or walk on planet surfaces?!? I mean... it would be like, uhm... System Shock! Or Star Citizen! Or well, any cool scifi fps game. Which are already out there and are well developed games on their own. So if these space legs for Elite would be developed by a completely different team as kind of a module which is then implemented into the game without occupying the main dev team, that might lead to something I would like to have, because that would be a game inside a game, which, in my opinion, would be the only version of space legs worth having. Everything beside that is wasted development time in my book.

Long story short: I want atmospheric landings. I want to be able to interact with more stuff in the galaxy using more features added to my ship (and I really despise the combat focus of the game at the moment. Just sayin'.) I'd join your cult.

Is Frontier developing another game?

Well, it’s not like FD are up to anything else! They’re breaking things as fast as they can fix them and it’s not like the game launched with anything else to do but grind and stare into the black. At least space legs would provide some sense of player agency of in terms of “this is my ship” instead of “I am this ship now.” If I saw them working hard towards making a real mission system, fixing bugs and improving gameplay in a way more timely fashion, I could let the space legs thing chill.

Just wanted to point out that it all started with kickstarter, life time pass descriptions and hints from David and Sandro later on. Not in our heads. :)
If op seeks truth about our cult, read mentioned goals from FD and many constructive posts on this very forum that will teach ya why so many wants SL and why SL could be great.
My faith in kickstarter prophecy of walking around sadly is getting weaker lately.

Seriously what game are you talking about OP. I still have faith in David and I'm really trying to be patient. I don't care if it takes another four years, lets get it right.

[video=youtube_share;EM0Gcl7iUM8]https://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8[/video]

Space Legs in this game is bad idea, definitely not now, but ship interiors, captains cabins, crew rest areas, cargo bays, fighter bay, etc, will bring additional level of immersion to the ed, and this could be pay content, something like $15-20 for the ship, and I will buy such stuff, but one ship(asp or cobra for example) should be free.

They should have a separate smaller team working on space legs. Just like how they had a small team work on Holo-Me. So it doesn't detract from the other stuff that's being developed.

Top Bottom