The end of cheap tritium?

Inara has stopped showing cheap tritium (at around 4,000 credits per ton) anywhere now, even in small quantities.

And I've been checking out some Refinery stations in the Drought state, which would previously drop the price of tritium. Plenty of tritium available there... at around 50,000 per ton.

I've been making good money lately, so I should be able to afford full-price tritium. But it might become an issue when the current goldrush ends, and those buying in the Bubble at 4k and selling in Colonia at 80k won't be doing that anymore.

ill sell you 12,000t of Tritium at 50cr per Ton... I do need a set of C1 seismic charges to cover the sales tax though...

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
ill sell you 12,000t of Tritium at 50cr per Ton... I do need a set of C1 seismic charges to cover the sales tax though...
Just sold my pair of C1 seismic charges on your carrier, but it still won't let me buy the Tritium at 50cr, not even one ton. I could understand that me trying to fill the hold of my eagle is a bit much, but I do feel like I was tricked here. Even worse, since I waited to long it won't even let me rebuy my sold charges. Looks like the 'roid 'sploding days in my eagle are over. I guess I have to fly to Raxxla some random station to get another set at some point. There is definitely not some shady figure pointing a gun at me right now.

I started thinking that, but actually I believe you're a factor of ten out. While mining in a Tritium hotspot I worked out that I was making Tritium at the rate of 100 tons per hour. At a high price of 50kcr/ton that's 5Mcr/hour. Doing an hour of some kind of missions I can get more than ten times that and then buy the Tritium.

1000 tons of Tritium at 50kcr/ton is 50 million, not half a billion.

Admittedly there's satisfaction in getting it for free if you enjoy mining though.

A jolly in the black with your FC could easily use 10k of tritium... Which is 500 mil worth... (Half a billion as the OP stated).

Tritium doesn't cost anything if you rig out a miner and head out for one of the thousands of icy rings with tritium hotspots. If you don't want to do that then no sense complaining just be prepared to pay the price for it?.

I actually find the Tritium for FC threads hilarious.

I don't know how many of the current owners mined 'the egg or similar' to raise the funds to buy... But everyone, if they were interested, could have read the announcement (in forum and Newsletter) for them and noted a probable requirement to mine...

I didn't raise the funds for my first by mining, nor my 2nd - but mining for fuel, when outside of the comfy bubble is a reality... And raising fund to buy when in the bubble is simple too 🤷‍♂️

Colonia lost a great deal of its tritium life line now the cheap stuff is gone :(
I am mining my way slowly back towards Colonia, having so far collected a few K of goodies such as Platinum, Osmium and Painite.

The question is will it be more worth my time arriving with a full hold of goodies or Tritium?:)

I am mining my way slowly back towards Colonia, having so far collected a few K of goodies such as Platinum, Osmium and Painite.

The question is will it be more worth my time arriving with a full hold of goodies or Tritium?:)
Well, there is no tritium reserve in Colonia. It is for sale, but you won't find any...
I've been selling tritium to carriers buying the stuff for 100k/t. So I bought the stuff for 4k/t in the bubble and jumped it over to Colonia to sell it there and still made a huge profit with what I had left. I can't guarantee this situation will remain, FD is still tweaking, but if it does then yes, it would be better to focus on tritium.

Well, there is no tritium reserve in Colonia. It is for sale, but you won't find any...
I've been selling tritium to carriers buying the stuff for 100k/t. So I bought the stuff for 4k/t in the bubble and jumped it over to Colonia to sell it there and still made a huge profit with what I had left. I can't guarantee this situation will remain, FD is still tweaking, but if it does then yes, it would be better to focus on tritium.
i was helping filling a DSSA carrier in colonia by mining painite, selling it, and buying tritium of FCs.

this wouldn't work anymore with painite.

but any core mining commodity, plus osmium and platinum will still exceed the "usual" tritium prices of FCs in colonia of those unsung heroes selling for 100k/t.

Stealthie

Banned
I didn't raise the funds for my first by mining, nor my 2nd - but mining for fuel, when outside of the comfy bubble is a reality... And raising fund to buy when in the bubble is simple too 🤷‍♂️

That's how I see it too.

I haven't needed to buy Tritium for ages so I thought I'd go find some last night.

As a complete lightweight, I just looked at EDDB to find the cheapest place - where they had a supply of about 60t - went there, bought a couple of loads of ~60t and then thought "why am I bothering with this???"
Went back to EDDB to find the places (with large-pad facilities) that have the best supply, looked down the list to find a decent price, went there and loaded up several thousand tonnes.

The difference between the cheapest price and an okayish price is about Cr4,000.
That's Cr4m extra (per 1000t) for the sake of saving yourself a couple of hours schlepping back and forth, loading up 50t at a time.
I can recover that by spending 15 minutes running a couple of missions, doing a bit of mining, blowing stuff up or ferrying a couple of passengers around.

🤷‍♂️

That's how I see it too.

I haven't needed to buy Tritium for ages so I thought I'd go find some last night.

As a complete lightweight, I just looked at EDDB to find the cheapest place - where they had a supply of about 60t - went there, bought a couple of loads of ~60t and then thought "why am I bothering with this???"
Went back to EDDB to find the places (with large-pad facilities) that have the best supply, looked down the list to find a decent price, went there and loaded up several thousand tonnes.

The difference between the cheapest price and an okayish price is about Cr4,000.
That's Cr4m extra (per 1000t) for the sake of saving yourself a couple of hours schlepping back and forth, loading up 50t at a time.
I can recover that by spending 15 minutes running a couple of missions, doing a bit of mining, blowing stuff up or ferrying a couple of passengers around.

🤷‍♂️

Yes, I'm starting to fuel a new Carrier (so I'll be needing around 23,000 tons) at a station that has a stock of over 100,000t, at a little more than 50k/t. There are small amounts available for a bit less, but I can't be bothered. None for the old 4k/t deal, so I can't save much by scavenging.

Why should Tritium be cheap?

Its fuel for "End Game" content, so should come at "End Game" prices.

I was told that Carriers are "End Game" in no uncertain terms by many members of the forum, and the frontier representatives spelt this out too. So the fuel for them must also come at a premium, or be mined if they don't want to spend credits. It only makes sense.

Guess we just going to have to get used to big fleet carrier dumping grounds for those pauper Fleet Carrier Park trash who cant afford the tritium fuel for their 5 Billion+ mobile homes.

Because it's a consumable fuel, and making fuel expensive is just to get around is stupid. "Yes, let's belabor a very simple process because that will make people play our game."

I could care less what you were told. Fuel being expensive doesn't make for compelling game play, especially since it takes one hour of money ore mining to pay outright for fuel it takes 8-10 hours to mine, beyond stupid. And this is especially true now that they've nerfed mining while leaving the PWA a broken mess.

It should be cheap, and be plentiful to mine, it's the only mined commodity in the game the players actually consume instead of use for credit earnings. The problem is Fdev didn't design their mining system around the consideration that what's mined might actually be consumed instead of sold.

Fdev needs to change the mining mechanics around them so the hotspots themselves are harder to find, but plentiful when you find one. A bit like Oasis in the desert, you can drink your fill, and if you're fastidious enough, you can map out the Oasis on a chart and map and thus map the desert itself.

If Fdev wants to encourage people to get out of the bubble with their carriers, they need to think about it in terms of migrant caravans of the old Persian empire. Travellers moving their wagons around from town to town, village to village, and oasis to oasis. And what will happen entirely on it's own through sheer player behaviour, is people will start dotting around the galaxy and spread out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom