The financial argument for free, universal ship names

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Even if we have to pay for it we don't know how it will work. Do we have to pay for every single ship ? Is it a general feature we have to pay in order to apply it to as many ships as we want (such as bobbleheads). What if we pay for naming a ship and then decide to sell it ??

Last edited:
Theres another issue caused by frontiers greed in tying ship name displayed in ui with buying a nameplate:

What if you want to name your ship and have it seen in the ui but you don't want what one of what are a pretty dismal selection of nameplates painted onto your hull? You can't!

Thats right, you can't even pay to have a ship name without being forced to have a cosmetic item you may not want!

Ship name display in ui should be free, nameplates optional and paid for in store (im neutral on a basic nameplate for free though)

While I was planning on getting a name plate for my ship so it's actually a non-issue for me, I do share concerns with the vessel name not displaying on scan if you don't have the aforementioned plate. I hope FD reconsiders this approach. I'm really not on the "omg FDev pay to play" bandwagon (seen some cringeworthy posts about this), but I see absolutely no real reason to gate this feature behind a paywall. Even if it ammounts to 1$, IMO it's wrong.

The "ship name obscenity check" argument is moot - FD already stated they just forward the name to a profanity filter for Xbox and it returns **** if it finds objectionable content. Of course some creative naming will squeeze through it, but this issue can always be dealt with with player reports if needed.

What I would like to see:

1) Ship naming and scanning free for everyone
2) One basic, plain nameplate for free
3) Plethora of custom and luxury nameplates ranging from 1€ for the cheapest up to 5€ for stuff like neon light version and other (tacky) stuff. Throw in a deluxe limited edition plate now and then.

I've seen the template examples in the previous streams and I have to say they don't really look all that great, a lot of them are just fairly basic, bland and boring. Pimp those up FDev, while providing a free comic-sans version for all of the scrubs :D

Just some logic having read page 1 (Have work in a bit, no time to read the rest).

Ship naming is free. The ability to distinguish 3 identical Sidewinders on the shipyard or whatever else will come and everyone can have it (Sandro said it'd come to non-horizons too last night). It'll also be shown to anyone joining your multicrew as it was with HMS Battle Cow last night <- Amazing name ;)
But
Seeing the name on the hull and to allow others to see the name on the scanner/contacts screen will cost.

The actual mechanics (distinguishing in shipyard and multicrew as a bonus) are free. The charging bit is pure cosmetics.

Not going to defend the choice to charge cash more than that little bit there.
Personally for me it's all down to price. It it's in the £2-£4 range for each nameplate style to name every ship forever then sure I'll probably buy a few styles. If its £8+ I will buy one and one only... Then I'd also partly agree with the OP.

Last edited:
Here's a portion of the original Design Discussion Archive on the subject...

My assumption, based on the text, is that the fee would be in-game credits, not real-world money.

I'm OK with charging cash for an actual nameplate, but the ship name should appear everywhere in-game, that is, in the pertinent UI, at no charge. Given the strong feelings of others, I think a simple, unadorned nameplate should be available for no money, but it's OK to charge a reasonable fee in game credits.

Also, I haven't been wowed by the nameplates that have been released so far. If FD is charging actual cash for these, they need to be amped up.

I thought they would cost game credits and not actual dollars. Guess we will find out soon enough...

I would enjoy the ship name process. It gives me more of an incentive to create an RP background for my ships and helps make the journey feel a bit more personal. Game mechanic wise, ship naming has been needed since they introduced ship transfers, if not earlier than that. Differentiating between two similar ship hulls is very hard as things currently are.

I don't buy cosmetic items from Frontier. I am opposed to paying full price for a game and then having nickle and dime features that try to bait out more money. For the record, I have spent $300 on League of Legends over the years. LoL is free to play, and I enjoy the game so I'm happy to support it. I already bought Elite Dangerous and Horizons, which were sold in Euros so it was even more expensive than a standard game in the States. I might be inclined to try and help fund the development of a game (like I did with Star Citizen), but Frontier has been using sales from Elite Dangerous to fund other games. Both Elite Dangerous and Horizons were sold as a finished game when they were in a per-release state. Given that Horizons still isn't finished, I'm a bit put off to hear that they took the per-release sales and used it to develop other games. I certainly won't be spending more money on Elite Dangerous until they have finished making the game (Horizons) that I bought.

What I posted in the reddit...

I could just about tolerate the name decals being a store item, but to not have the name show up after a scan unless there's a name decal on the ship is both ridiculous and a slap in the face for the community - given how desired this feature is.

I will be purchasing no more cosmetic store items from now on!

I really hope they sell poorly, Fdev isn't scraping around for money, and this community deserves better.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: mmm
I'm normally happy to support the FD store, but I'll be boycotting this, sadly. I see no reason why seeing someone else's ship name in your had is going to affect hull lettering sales.

I'd buy them simply to have my ship names in the pics I take and post, but I don't want other players ship names (in the HUD) hidden from me because of some paywall.

Someone at FD really does need a clip behind the ear...

Z...

This. So names should appear in the hud of other players. I have no problem with charging for nameplates either, but the hud really should display ship names as it does for NPCs in beta for free.

We pay for the generic license plates on our cars... we pay even more for the vanity license plates on our cars. We already paid for the car why do we have to pay for license plates at all?

Basic should be free. Fancy fonts should cost. having to pay to see someone else name on your hud is just a joke.

Not that I care past this post, mostly play in solo so other players names let alone the names of their ships are off no concern to me.

Cant wait for the cash grab that holo me is going to become.

Last edited:

Goose4291

Banned
Basic nameplate should be free. It really feels like a cashgrab plan on fdevs part.

I dont mind paying for the more interesting designs, but you fdev wont see another penny from me.

Well, I'm not buying into this. Locking ship names behind microtransactions is a step too far for me. If the scan revealed the ship name by default I might have actually bought a name plate, but not now.

If there's a paid option and a free option, I'll take the paid option to fund the game.
If there's only a paid option, is it really worth funding?

We pay for the generic license plates on our cars... we pay even more for the vanity license plates on our cars. We already paid for the car why do we have to pay for license plates at all?

We don't; UK (vanity plates, ie cosmetics, do cost tho'). We do get screw ed for 1) tax on the road, 2) tax on the petrol 3) more tax on the petrol (VAT), 4) insurance scam ('oh, I have ten years no claims but you're still putting my insurance up another £200 this year?'), 5) road toll on certain motorway tho, so...

No thanks, there's enough clutter and useless text on the HUD already. We (mostly) live in capitalist societies, where you rightfully have to pay if you want to force feed a stranger your feelings.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom