The Friend Bus

Hey y'all,

I have been playing Elite for almost two years now; slowly earning money, enjoying quiet moments in my cockpit and the occasional combat. Every once in a while I've run into another player--sent them an o7 before they waked out, or entered a CG only to be inexplicably blown away by an "imperial blockade"--but it wasn't until about eight months ago that I truly played with other people for the first time.

I had decided, on a whim, to search for a multi-crew seat. Before I knew it, I was in the far reaches of the galaxy, inside of another commander's Cobra Mk III, patiently scanning planets; then I was piloting a ship-launched fighter alongside two other commanders, hunting for bounties; I even ferried a new player around in my own ship and gave them some pointers. Each experience was so different, and revealed a unique opportunity to connect with the people who share this universe.

I have always understood part of Elite's charm to be the experience of lonely, melancholy beauty you experience after an evening of flying from port to port, star system to star system without seeing another soul. It's that empty vastness that captures our imagination so easily. But after this one evening in multi-crew I also saw that, as a game, so much of Elite's potential lies in moments of shared awe and excitement.

So, I decided to build The Friend Bus.

A charming little yellow potato with two seats. One for me, and one for a guest who wants to share an aspect of the universe that they love. What might happen when two commanders take The Friend Bus to rescue refugees from a damaged station? Or to exlpore guardian ruins? Or to go head-to-head with a thargoid interceptor? Or to scour other players' holds for void opals? Or to simply sit and stare at a sunset from the surface of an ice world?

Each episode we'll engage in these shenanigans together, and discuss what it is that draws us to the experience of flying in space, how it fits into our lives as a whole, and beyond. I'll be recording these adventures from within VR, and then releasing them in the form of YouTube videos so that you can follow the Friend Bus's every shenanigan.

If that sounds interesting to you, if that sounds charming, or if you just want to see it all go up in flames, I hope you stay tuned. And let me know if you'd like to take a ride in The Friend Bus. I'll be looking for guests very soon!

Cheers,
CMDR Figrin

Yes, the spoiler does make it faster.

Last edited:
Hey y'all,

I have been playing Elite for almost two years now; slowly earning money, enjoying quiet moments in my cockpit and the occasional combat. Every once in a while I've run into another player--sent them an o7 before they waked out, or entered a CG only to be inexplicably blown away by an "imperial blockade"--but it wasn't until about eight months ago that I truly played with other people for the first time.

I had decided, on a whim, to search for a multi-crew seat. Before I knew it, I was in the far reaches of the galaxy, inside of another commander's Cobra Mk III, patiently scanning planets; then I was piloting a ship-launched fighter alongside two other commanders, hunting for bounties; I even ferried a new player around in my own ship and gave them some pointers. Each experience was so different, and revealed a unique opportunity to connect with the people who share this universe.

I have always understood part of Elite's charm to be the experience of lonely, melancholy beauty you experience after an evening of flying from port to port, star system to star system without seeing another soul. It's that empty vastness that captures our imagination so easily. But after this one evening in multi-crew I also saw that, as a game, so much of Elite's potential lies in moments of shared awe and excitement.

So, I decided to build The Friend Bus.

A charming little yellow potato with two seats. One for me, and one for a guest who wants to share an aspect of the universe that they love. What might happen when two commanders take The Friend Bus to rescue refugees from a damaged station? Or to exlpore guardian ruins? Or to go head-to-head with a thargoid interceptor? Or to scour other players' holds for void opals? Or to simply sit and stare at a sunset from the surface of an ice world?

Each episode we'll engage in these shenanigans together, and discuss what it is that draws us to the experience of flying in space, how it fits into our lives as a whole, and beyond. I'll be recording these adventures from within VR, and then releasing them in the form of YouTube videos so that you can follow the Friend Bus's every shenanigan.

If that sounds interesting to you, if that sounds charming, or if you just want to see it all go up in flames, I hope you stay tuned. And let me know if you'd like to take a ride in The Friend Bus. I'll be looking for guests very soon!

Cheers,
CMDR Figrin

Yes, the spoiler does make it faster.

Excellent. Looking forward to your series.

Hey all, I've just uploaded another video of the The Friend Bus. It talks now! (In Keelspeak, of course ;))

I'm learning as I go, so this is the second in a series of videos leading up to the main event.

Here I'm testing out a new personality suite for the ship that I've created from the ground up using VoiceAttack, EDDI, and some edited audio samples from the Keelback's boost sound. I'm also completely new to recording and video editing, so any constructive feedback you have in this area would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
CMDR Figrin

now, seriously, this is great stuff, i like how you think!

on a side note, did you notice you tend to tilt your head to the right in vr? happened to me as well back when i did some recording tests. weird!

on a side note, did you notice you tend to tilt your head to the right in vr? happened to me as well back when i did some recording tests. weird!

I am trying to figure that out, because it bugs me, too. I think that what's happening is that the window that's being recorded is only coming out of my left eye, so my view appears off center and slightly slanted. I'm not sure that there's a way to get around this though. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

This is a great idea, good luck with it Figrin.

I am trying to figure that out, because it bugs me, too. I think that what's happening is that the window that's being recorded is only coming out of my left eye, so my view appears off center and slightly slanted. I'm not sure that there's a way to get around this though. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
If you're using SteamVR I'd have some suggestions

This is a great idea, good luck with it Figrin.

If you're using SteamVR I'd have some suggestions

Thanks so much!

I've been using Oculus but I think it's possible for me to launch through SteamVR. What did you have in mind??

I don't know how it works with Oculus but using SteamVR and OBS I can capture the mirror game window that appears on the desktop, it's automatically a centred view using both eye feeds with the window resolution set in game. Also, under SteamVR there is a Display VR View option where you can change the view between left/right/both/centre views and I can capture from that (although whilst it's clear it's at a lower resolution)

I don't know how it works with Oculus but using SteamVR and OBS I can capture the mirror game window that appears on the desktop, it's automatically a centred view using both eye feeds with the window resolution set in game. Also, under SteamVR there is a Display VR View option where you can change the view between left/right/both/centre views and I can capture from that (although whilst it's clear it's at a lower resolution)

That gives me some ideas. Oculus has a debug tool that might allow me to tweak the viewing window a little bit. Thanks a lot for taking the time!

Top Bottom