The future of VR in Elite:Dangerous

I don't understand this common complaint. My FSS has orbit lines in VR, just like what I see in 2D...
If I have "Orbit Lines" switched on in the cockpit view then I see them in the most zoomed out view of the FSS. Once you start zooming in, nothing. I didn't even know they were missing until I saw a livestream where the orbit lines built up as stuff was discovered, or the nice zooming in transition that is in the 2D version.

Edit: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/204

Last edited:
If I have "Orbit Lines" switched on in the cockpit view then I see them in the most zoomed out view of the FSS. Once you start zooming in, nothing. I didn't even know they were missing until I saw a livestream where the orbit lines built up as stuff was discovered, or the nice zooming in transition that is in the 2D version.

Edit: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/204
^^^
This.

In VR, orbit lines don't show up when we're zoomed in, only zoomed out fully. How the orbit lines are displayed can provide clues about if a particular world is part of a binary+ or two worlds just happen to be aligned from your point of view. Losing those zoomed in orbit lines almost makes me want to play 2D again... almost. Thankfully, my particular exploration style also utilizes some parallax discovery, which works much better in VR. :D

Is there a VR-specific bug you were hoping this update fixes?

I`m not looking to fix a specific bug, but I`m sure there must have been some VR bugs reported- but no mention in the patch notes. I don't play 2D so wouldn't know if a bug I was seeing was VR specific or not 😇 Only bug I ever saw which was an issue was in FSS, the display sometimes tilted like viewing a monitor from the side then got worst until it only rendered polygons coming from a central point, these changed as you tried to look around.
This also only happened at a few systems where there when I tried to scan bodies around a second star which was a long way from the primary, very odd but I haven't seen this in a long time. 🤔

Well you'll all be glad to know that the new stuttering added in this update makes it feel like my VR helmet is ripping my eyes out and forcing me to eat them. It seems pretty obvious this update wasn't tested in VR. If I'm forced to play in "pancake mode", I'm going to play Space Engineers instead of ED.

Out of curiosity, how many people play ED in VR compared to how many people used to play ED on Mac? I ask because Frontier killed support for the Mac, and if the numbers are similar, then one might be justified in their fear that VR is next on the chopping block.

(If this was already discussed in the thread and I missed it, apologies)

Out of curiosity, how many people play ED in VR compared to how many people used to play ED on Mac? I ask because Frontier killed support for the Mac, and if the numbers are similar, then one might be justified in their fear that VR is next on the chopping block.

I'm taking a guess here, but my impression is that many VR users are relatively hardcore ED players who have invested a lot into the game (owning lots of gear, spending lots of time ingame, being active in the community etc), while the Mac users may have been relatively casual? So even if the numbers where roughly the same, dropping VR would hurt the community more than dropping Mac support did. Just speculation of course.

Top Bottom