The GLFFE Thread

By that logic, no sane person wants to be able to play games on their PC.

Oh, this is a gaming forum. Or "asylum", if you prefer.
Well, was it not for DNA replication glitches, we wouldn't even be here, yet, I don't know of a single person who would hold cancer in high regard.
:rolleyes:

Good news on the 4000 though, what was wrong with it?

All the capacitors replaced, a new SIMM socket fitted, clock chip replaced, new clock battery fitted, clock circuit tracks repaired, Indivision AGA card fitted, CF Card Drive fitted (for back up purposes only, I have a 70 something GIG UW SCSI HD waiting for it) and 100 odd megs of RAM. I am not quite there yet though, still waiting on word about the Cyberstorm MkIII repairs and overclock to 66Mhz, as fast as I can go with the SCSI interface.

Keeping my fingers crossed about that one as I also have a Cybervision PPC board waiting for that too. At least I still have the original 030 board to use it in the meantime. I have been waiting to repair this old miggy almost as long as I have been waiting for Elite IV:S

As for you Zmurf, that collection is mighty fine indeed, you must be an Amibayer ;)

Hey Frontier! This would be a great time to finally release the miggy version of FFE! :p

Sorry, just had to put that in. :eek:

As for you Zmurf, that collection is mighty fine indeed, you must be an Amibayer ;)

Actually, no. Well... I do have an Amibay account. But all of my Amiga stuff is either bought new or in the late 90ths.

I used to have a CS-PPC603e/040 with a CV-PPC. But I wanted a 060 to my A4k. And since I didn't manager to find a CS-PPC with 060 or a CSmkIII I sold both the CS-PPC and the CV-PPC and got a CSmkII and a Picasso IV instead. And I'm very happy with that solution.

But I believe that the CSmkIII with a CV-PPC is the best combination in an A4k... so I'm a little bit jealous... ;)

i was only joking about windows ..... it has its place as does every product it just doesn't suit my day to day needs ...

ok so in answer to my question its gonna take a lot of messing around to get it to work which i'm not capable of ....

again trying not to sound like a complete noob how do i get FFED3D to run on my laptop then instead? i've tried but cant seem to figure it out .....

i would of asked one of my best friends but unfortunately he passed away ...days before i stumbled across the FFED3D he was a big fan too and far more computer literate than me ....

Running FE2 in bosbox i can do as can i with FFE ..... haven't quite got JJFFE in windows yet ... have it going in OSX ....

thanks all for the help so far

G-Hopper

There isn't? What makes a software count as a photography software? What photography software are there to OS X? I'm a developer and don't really know much at all about graphics software. I always thought that programs such as photoshop and gimp was photography software.

That is my point. Insert a healthy dose of British sarcasm!

Designer-y people saying they use Macs because macs have image software etc. is outdated. You can get any of the good image programs for Wintel. These people should just admit that they like the pretty cases and are willing to spend more money for less specs, and also like to only have to think about one mouse button!

Ahh.... I didn't understand that there was sarcasm involved... Sarcasm can be hard to understand on the internet... ;)

As you point out, this was also my belief. I know that, in the early and mid -90ths, Mac software such as Quark Express and similar was "light years" ahead compared to the Windows versions. But my experience is that the case have been the opposite since at least 2000 or 2001.

I used PowerBooks and OSX as my main computer and operating system between -00 through -05 (I was a beta tester for OSX beta and developed for OSX at the time). And I always thought that OSX felt slower then Windows on equal hardware when using graphics software... so I never understood the argument that the media people used when they said "we use apple since it's so much better for graphical stuff". I'm quite sure that its just a old myth that was true once... but surly haven't been true for at least 10-15 years.

And about the "nice case". That's a thing of personal preferences. I always found the Titanium style Apple laptops quite ugly. I Bought a PowerBook Titanium G4 early -01 just because I needed a Apple G4 computer. If I could have chosen another look I would have done... but the only other look they have had on laptops since then is the even more horrible, plastic, iBook look.

Another thing I find very funny is that people usually speak about how "new", "innovative" and "progressive" Apple is in their designs... But all of their professional laptops have looked the same for the last 9 years... that's hardly "innovative" and "progressive" designing. It's more doing a IBM/Lenovo: "The Thinkpad design works... lets for heavens sake NOT change it... or something might explode...".

Last edited:
how do i get FFED3D to run on my laptop then instead? i've tried but cant seem to figure it out .....

There has been problems on some laptops with FFE3D. Could you post any error messages you get. That might help in identifying the problem. Most problems seem to be either graphics based or a lack of certain runtime libraries, but you should know that some laptops just wont run it no matter what you do. It really depends on what spec it has and if it is up to the job.

I still think you should go the Amiga emulator route for the Mac though. That way you can run Elite, Elite + and FE2 at least as well as a ton of other great miggy classics too! :cool:

Also another one to consider is GLFrontier on your laptop. Here is a link http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresfe2.html

And Zmurf, like you I bought most of my stuff back in the day. My MkIII was bought new from Phase 5, but as of now, all it is, is an expensive paperweight until it's booting problem is sorted. So if anyone is jealous it's me because you already have a nice system up and running. :eek:

If I may ask, (since you have had both) how does the Picasso IV performance compare with the CV-PPC?

I have to agree with you though on the CV-PPC/MkIII combo. Once you start adding power PC chips ect is your miggy still a miggy? :S

And Zmurf, like you I bought most of my stuff back in the day. My MkIII was bought new from Phase 5, but as of now, all it is, is an expensive paperweight until it's booting problem is sorted. So if anyone is jealous it's me because you already have a nice system up and running. :eek:

If I may ask, (since you have had both) how does the Picasso IV performance compare with the CV-PPC?

I have to agree with you though on the CV-PPC/MkIII combo. Once you start adding power PC chips ect is your miggy still a miggy? :S

Yepp... It's nice having several working Amigas. :)

In benchmarks the CV-PPC runs circles around the P-IV. But when using them in workbench the performance gain is hardly noticeable... the CV-PPC is able to show higher resolutions though.

I believe that classic Amigas with CS-PPC cards and/or a mediator still can be considered Amigas since it's still classic compatible... I'm more skeptical about the modern AmigaOS 4.0 and 4.1 machines.

I have high hopes for the Natami project though :)

Last edited:
Problems with starting GLFFE

I`ve got problems getting this to work.

The problems:
1. When I click on the star map, it crashes (happens in other situations too),

2. Can`t change to full-Screen.

Does anybody know, what the problems might be?

Top Bottom