The Launcher is an Eyesore

Hey,

I normally don't come to complain here in the forums, but I will complain about something relatively frivolous that I think should be addressed: The Launcher. It looks like a screen capture of a late-nineties website. Since GalNet and Interstellar Initiatives stopped in January the launcher still shows stale news. One of the articles has a broken image thumbnail. An entire section of the window is empty.

This is the first thing a PC player sees when he launches the game. It doesn't project a welcoming image of vitality. You have been working towards fixing bugs and other inconveniences (thank you for that) as well as providing a better new player experience, and you have some content down the line this year.

Fix the launcher such that it looks sleek and doesn't contain stale content. It is the first thing I see every time I launch the game. I want it to tell me "I want to play this gorgeous game, there are adventures ahead", which is actually the case. The launcher doesn't do justice to such an excellent game.

Please Frontier give me a pretty launcher. I'll buy more Arx if you do.

This is hideous...

Ugly Launcher.png

Last edited:
You admit that it's frivolous but think it should be fixed anyway, hence you're complaining? I did understand that correctly, didn't I?

Hey,

I normally don't come to complain here in the forums, but I will complain about something relatively frivolous that I think should be addressed: The Launcher. It looks like a screen capture of a late-nineties website. Since GalNet and Interstellar Initiatives stopped in January the launcher still shows stale news. One of the articles has a broken image thumbnail. An entire section of the window is empty.

This is the first thing a PC player sees when he launches the game. It doesn't project a welcoming image of vitality. You have been working towards fixing bugs and other inconveniences (thank you for that) as well as providing a better new player experience, and you have some content down the line this year.

Fix the launcher such that it looks sleek and doesn't contain stale content. It is the first thing I see every time I launch the game. I want it to tell me "I want to play this gorgeous game, there are adventures ahead", which is actually the case. The launcher doesn't do justice to such an excellent game.

Please Frontier give me a pretty launcher. I'll buy more Arx if you do.

This is hideous...

View attachment 165189

I may have missed this on other posts but, even before the present virus pandemic (considering the 'work from home' ethic), just take a look at the dates for all the 'updates' on the launcher. Nothing has been altered on this for over two months. Is this an indication that FDevs have other games which are taking priority. I sincerely hope not but even the progress on 'bug-chasing' has been or seems to have been forgotten.

One thing you can do to improve the look of the launcher a little is to edit the shortcut, putting /edh on the end of the target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch\EDLaunch.exe" /edh

It will hide all non-horizons options in the bottom scroll box, I just see a play button if there isn't a beta running.

Top Bottom