Newcomer / Intro The many external tools...

About an hour at a time. Then I'll pop off and do something else for a while, then another hour, and so on.

That's the way I play on a standard display too.

To you VR chaps.... for how long do you stay in that VR, that is without your balls being cut off and you not even noticing.... LOL

Usually 1-2 hours, occaisonally longer, sometimes shorter if either RL demands attention (I can't see what the cats are doing on my keyboard...) or I am driving the SRV (that one still can give me nausea).

Usually 1-2 hours, occaisonally longer, sometimes shorter if either RL demands attention (I can't see what the cats are doing on my keyboard...) or I am driving the SRV (that one still can give me nausea).
RL? Retired lifetime partner? ;) That would be every 15 minutes in my case.... just kidding

I was asking because I can imagine, I might be completely wrong, this to cause heavier eye strain than usual display work. It is sure different, but I remember we bought a TV in 2012 which had a 3D feature, and honestly, I think we watched 2 films altogether. The fishtank effect, eyestrain and overall feeling weird afterwards, the latter was clearly observable when we watched a 3D, Lord of the rings, in cinema. I would not like to drive 5 minutes later.

Of course VR is something different, but equally tricks the brain, and it is here that I wonder, knowing myself, how quickly I would be tempted to use that for longer, probably daily at the beginning.

Ah - ok, never watched 3d TV on a screen. Yes, VR is different. But also yes, there are people who can't watch 3D on a screen. More work on the eyes - I really can't say. Right now, the main issue is still the low resolution (which should become better, as there are now higher resolution HMDs available - which unfortunately also require better GPUs).

Best advice I could give would be to try it out for yourself if you get the option.

Is 4K VR not common these days? Yes, will have to find out where I can try this. Any recommendation what system I should test?

...You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous only....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....You are NOT purchasing a PC for Elite Dangerous....
You're reading my mind from about a month ago. Thankfully I didn't purchase a PC for Elite Dangerous only. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've played way more "Modding Skyrim" on this new PC than I have Elite Dangerous since I bought it ;)

Would you like a screenshot or two to ease your conscience?

.... Right now, the main issue is still the low resolution (which should become better, as there are now higher resolution HMDs available - which unfortunately also require better GPUs).

Best advice I could give would be to try it out for yourself if you get the option.

The resolution in the Rift when I bought it was horrible but the worst optical issue for me was the fact that away from centre of vision the focus was awful. Yes I know it is a function of the lenses but even if you got rid of screen-door from low res that off-centre focus issue would still drive me crazy, having to move your head to bring something into sharp focus instead of just moving your eyes.

In the end though what really made me sell-on my rift was the horrible feeling of having a box strapped to my face. ;)

I wonder how many ED veterans would make elite drone pilots...

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

On topic; maybe I can run the game windowed (not tried yet but would prefer not to) so I can use external tools on the second monitor. Right now it's not very practical.

Is Fdev an in-game app people are using to search for stations etc?
EDMC f.e. has a transparent background ... so it can be opened and run in foreground when ED is running borderless ... o7!

The OP seems to be on console - might be worth mentioning that both edsm and inara have console updaters now (not sure if they were broke by the recent patch though).

Unsure of the functionality though the comments on the inara one seem to imply it can do ship export. If so I would go for the edsm version, as it will export your ships to coriolis.

Thanks for that!

So if it all was made by the developers of ED how much time would that have taken from them actually making the game? It is like saying you need new tires for your Ford and have to go to Ford for them. Not a good idea.

Top Bottom