The Neutron Fields - A Definitive Guide

***HOW TO GO FROM CIVILIZATION TO SAG A* FARMING NEUTRON STARS***

For quick route to SAG A* from the bubble, reveal this spoiler:
Since I noticed not everyone was interested in finding out ALL the theory and details of the Neutron Fields, here you go, a quick route to get you going. Again, keep in mind they are huge and you can make a variety of modifications within this suggested route.

*From the Bubble, head to your first major navigational beacon: GRAEA HYPUE KH-V D2-55. This is some 13,500 ly away, and will be your gate into the Eastern Beta Neutron Field. From here and on, you will have to manually select jumps from Neutron to Neutron Star. In other words, here is where you start farming.

*From there, you want to get further in a bit, where density is juicy. Head towards BLAE EAEC JN-K D8-511. That's around 2,000 ly stretch. Farming all your way there.

*Then turn towards DRYAA PRUAE PX-U D2-781. That's in the heart of the DRYAA PRUAE Nebula which is completely within the Neutron Field. Major visual point. Farm away.

*From here, it pretty much depends what you want to do next:
-either point your ship to the Great Annihilator, and then SAG A* or,
-stay inside the Neutron Field and keep farming towards WEPUE UJ-R E4-8838, and from there, to SAG A*.

All in all, that's about 12,000 ly of farming. Which should equate to around 350-400 Neutron Stars. Of course, it can be as many as you want according to your own pace/style.

Enjoy!
I will be adding another route example from SAG towards civilization soon!

Complete guide starts here:

The first reports about a vast region containing an immensely high density of Neutron stars, started to appear in the forum around mid March. Due to their high value when selling their exploration data to Universal Cartographics, the region immediately became of high interest for Deep Space Explorers.

The reports pointed to an area close to Sagittarius A* -The Galactic Center- which by itself, was already experiencing a surge of visitors and explorers from the civilization bubble. The newly discovered region, if anything, added an extra incentive for the brave travelers already transiting to the core.

All what was needed now was some coordinates, or system names to aim for while en route to Sag A* or coming back from it. But the reports, although helpful, were often incomplete or inconclusive when it came to location: systems with wildly distant coordinates, others that were seemingly at odds with the previous, and even some claiming that it was more than one Neutron Field out there.

The whole discussion left the impression that, if every reported system mattered, the Neutron Field was virtually all over the place.

One thing was certain though: more and more commanders were coming back and racking millions upon millions of credits on neutron stars data scanned in that region, wherever it was.

And when you happen to be an explorer whose current expedition will eventually take your ship to the Galactic Center, the call of the Neutron Field becomes hard to resist and also an absolute need.

Within the objectives and research of the Galactic Map Initiative led by Elite Explorer CMDR Erimus, I decided to answer once and for all, What is the Neutron Field?, and where do its elusive boundaries lie? Hoping that these answers benefit other colleague explorers and the Elite : Dangerous community in general, here are my fascinating findings on the subject.

More Than A Neutron Field…
Following some cues mentioned by CMDR Dognosh, my study started by looking in the Galmap filtering Non-sequence stars and heading to the coordinates or systems other CMDR’s have reported.

By panning in different directions and zooming in and out, my first observation seemed to confirm what CMDR Dognosh has reported. Giving a harder look that took nearly five hours, I came to the conclusion that there is not a Neutron Field but four instead!! Each of these regions packing thousands upon thousands of Neutron Stars!!!

That’s right, there are not one, but four huge, rectangular-ish areas more or less well defined at either side of SAG A* and above and below of the Galactic plane.
What is even more amazing is that these fields have the highest density of all type of stars in general, compared to any other major region in the Galaxy! They are just simply the highest star crowded areas outside the Galactic core!!

In that sense, the Neutron Fields are not more “Neutron” than say “O” or “F” Fields!! This implies that, just by mere stats and density, the NF’s are bound to be the regions with the highest density of F,G and K stars, which have the highest probability to bear an Earth Like Planet!!!

As a reminder, coordinates in the Galmap are designated as follows: (x, y, z)

X- coordinate on the horizontal axis (left to right of SOL)
y- coordinate on the altitude axis (up and down of SOL, where “0” is “ On the Galactic Plane”)
Z – coordinate on the vertical axis (front and back of SOL)

So, general speaking, with SOL as referencial center, and given in Light Years, the coordinates indicate:

COORDINATES: (left or right, above or below, forward or backwards)
e.g. FRONTIER SYSTEM (300, -200, 100)

This FRONTIER system is 300ly to the left, 200 ly down and 100ly forward from SOL.

Back into matter, the “Neutron Fields” are, Looking towards SAG A* from SOL:

-One Above and to the West
-One Below and to the West
-One Above and to the East
-One Below and to the East

The “Neutron Fields”
The “Fields” are loosely defined when it comes to boundaries, particularly on the x and z axis. If you are heading there on the right “altitude” you will start to hit areas with more and more neutron stars, until the density reaches a stable point and remains mostly so for the remainder of the length on that direction.

But in order to locate them, a line needed to be drawn at spots I arbitrarily considered had reached a density suggesting explorers that they have reached a Neutron Field. With that being said, the coordinates given from here on are an effort to draw those boundaries but in no way mean you will not be hitting many neutron stars way before reaching those coordinates!

In that sense, trying to define these huge areas reminded me of that geography paradox that tries to limit the sea! It is really hard, if not impossible, to draw a definitive line to them! This is just my best effort and shot at it!

It was also tricky to find an easy way to designate them so they could give away their relative location in their names. Even after realizing that they are just as dense in any type of stars as Neutron, for the sake of convenience and following the popular nicknames already in use, I left the “Neutron Field” prefix to them.

Hoping these stick in the Explorer Community, I named them and researched them as follows:

I-Neutron Field – Western Alpha (NF-WA):

(-800 to -11,000 : 1,100 to 2,100 : 14,000 – 37,000)

10,200ly wide, 1,000 ly thick, 23,000ly long

Field Common Center:
Western Alpha Neutral* (WAN*): PHOI AOWSY HH-U E3-1007 (-5,550: 1,200 :24,000)

II-Neutron Field – Western Beta (NF-WB):

(-600 to -11,000 : -970 to -2,600 : 13,000 – 36,500 )

10,400ly wide, 1,630 ly thick, 23,500ly long

Field Common Center:
Western Beta Neutral* (WBN*): WEPAE TI-K D8-2374 (-5,550: -1,200 :24,000)

III-Neutron Field – Eastern Alpha (NF-EA):

(1,100 to 10,000 : 1,100 to 2,100 : 14,000 – 37,000 )

8,900ly wide, 1,000 ly thick, 23,000ly long

Field Common Center:
Eastern Alpha Neutral* (EAN*): ZUNEAE MZ-M D8-1255 (5,550: 1,200 :24,000)

IV-Neutron Field – Eastern Beta (NF-EB):

(1,100 to 10,000 : -960 to -2,600 : 17,000 – 35,000 )

8,900ly wide, 1,640 ly thick, 18,000ly long

Field Common Center:
Eastern Beta Neutral* (EBN*): PHROEA PLOE OI-K D8-872 (5,550: -1,200 :24,000)
Common Universal Coordinates for the Neutron Fields

Based on the limits shared above, I decided to get the minimum common coordinates to make a single coordinate set that could be applied for them all and came up with four sets of common coordinates.

Then I calculated the universal Common Center Coordinates, which are the coordinates for the geometrical center of the rectangle derived from the minimum common coordinates between the fields.

Field Common Center Coordinates : ( ±5,550 : ± 1,200 : 24,000 )

±= use either plus or minus for the coordinates.

You don’t have to use this as I gave all four centers found with this method above for each separate NF.

However, you might want to use It for reference when wanting to know boundaries. Use those coordinates, and add or subtract distances to the boundaries and you will have all the coordinates in the four fields.

FCCC: (±5,500 : ± 1,200 : 24,000)

Add K=(-4,450 up to 4,450 : 0 : -11,000 up to +11,000)

You can pick any three random numbers in those ranges and you will land on coordinates within any of the Neutron Fields.

You might have probably noticed that the Y coordinate remain the same. That’s because unlike on the other directions, vertically speaking the fields are pretty well defined: when you are coming up or down to meet them, they feel like a wall just hit you all of a sudden. They go to full density there and continue to decrease the further you vertically cross them.

Credits

Many thanks to CMDR Dognosh, for his early helpful threads indicating there were more than one field, for being the pioneer inspiring this research, and for the many contributions made to the explorer's community.

CMDR Dommarra and CMDR 777Driver who were among the first explorers to get to the Neutron Field and reporting about it.

Elite Explorer CMDR Erimus for supporting and promoting the EES Orinoco expedition, for trusting me with the task of mapping the NF’s, and for his immense dedication in getting the most out of the E D Galaxy.

And to all of the CMDR's who have been to the fields and have reported back to the Forums...thank you so very much.

I hope that this little study can help to many explorers and pilots in general in finding their way to these incredible expanses of our Galaxy!
Summary

- There are 4 Neutron Fields. They are packed with all types of stars, not only Neutron.
- Named Eastern and Western plus Alpha (for above Gal. plane) and Betas (For below Gal. Plane)
- NF prefix for Neutron Field. * in suffix for center of Neutron Field.
- Coordinates to each center: (±5,500 : ± 1,200 : 24,000)
- Add constant k= (-4,450 up to 4,450 : 0 : -11,000 up to +11,000) for all coordinates within the fields.

Last edited:
Wow, that's some dedicated investigation into those regions you've put in there! Massive rep :)

I think the detail you've put in deserves its own dedicated and larger scale map added to the mapping project. If I can get a deeper scale screenshot of the galactic core regions I'll put together a dedicated neutron field map using the procedural system names you provided to mark out its borders.

I wasn't aware it was split into 4 distinct regions.. That's an interesting discovery right there. :)

I think you'll find it is 8 regions.
The 4 Kancro mentioned are essentially mirrored on the far side of SagA*.
I can only speak for the "western side" beyond SagA*, but I found neutron fields about 1000ly above and below the galactic plane.

Wow, that's some dedicated investigation into those regions you've put in there! Massive rep :)

I think the detail you've put in deserves its own dedicated and larger scale map added to the mapping project. If I can get a deeper scale screenshot of the galactic core regions I'll put together a dedicated neutron field map using the procedural system names you provided to mark out its borders.

I wasn't aware it was split into 4 distinct regions.. That's an interesting discovery right there. :)

Thank you very much CMDR Erimus! However, I was preparing for reporting findings in the Galactic Map Project properly.

See, I spent nearly a week just playing with the galmap every night and crunching coordinates, to then find and locate the 4 centers of the fields.

I was sitting below Sag A* all that time. But knowing that you call for pics of the real systems, I needed to know where to go next, so finding the location of those centers was paramount to continue my expedition.

Once I defined these four centers I then realized that if I wanted to visit them all, I would have need to first chose either going west or east from there, travel 5,500ly to hit the Beta Center on that side, travel 2,400ly to cross the vertical gap in between fields to reach the Alpha Center of that side, then cross horizontally towards the other side's Alpha center -11,000 ly- and then vertically go down for additional 2,400.

The proposal before me then was to travel 21,300ly to "picture" the 4 centers! On top of the near 50k already traveled up to that point and still would have ended up at about 24,000k from SOL!!

As much as I would love to make such contribution to the Galactic Map project, I had been out for almost 50 days when I realized this, so I decided to compromise: would pick a side, report both centers -Alpha and Beta, for above and below the Gal Plane- and call it a day. The other two centers on the opposite side could be up for grabs to any other explorer wanting to pick up on that mission.

Departed June 2nd towards Eastern Beta Neutral, and arrived there on June 24th. Took pics, and then proceeded to Eastern Alpha Neutral on June 25th. I arrived there July 1st, almost a month after leaving Sag A*. I took pics and started to prepare this "report".

SO I HAVE THE PICS FOR THE GALACTIC MAP ON WESTERN FIELDS CENTER SYSTEMS AND WILL BE MAKING A POST WITH THOSE IN THE GALACTIC MAP PROJECT!!

But first, I have a big b-day party for me tomorrow so, no Elite for me! lol - .

I think you'll find it is 8 regions.
The 4 Kancro mentioned are essentially mirrored on the far side of SagA*.
I can only speak for the "western side" beyond SagA*, but I found neutron fields about 1000ly above and below the galactic plane.

Hi CMDR Zenith!

Please allow me to elaborate on these points.

First and foremost, I credit CMDR Dognosh with providing all the framework without which my research would have been tenfold as difficult to complete.

Not only did he create a very useful guide to the Neutron Fields but he was also the first or only one to talk about a precise number of fields, namely, he mentioned eight.

In the coordinates that I am providing above, if you noticed, I mentioned two centers at about 1,200 ly above the galactic plane (alphas) and two centers about -1,200 ly below the galactic plane (betas).

Moreover, CMDR Dognosh defined his eight fields as follows:

2 are : Left & below the core, Left and above the core(this side of the core)
2 are : Right & below the core, Right and above the core(this side of the core)
4 are : Mirror the above 4 on the other side of the core

Each field is approximately :
Width = 8000 LY
Height = 700 LY
Depth = 7000 LY

Notice he estimated Depth for each of the fields in on about 7,000 ly. He also mentions about 4 being "on the other side" of the core, as in: there are 4 "on this side" of the core.

From my research and what I'm poorly trying to convey here is that: The four Neutron Fields are uninterrupted, continuous fields all the way through! They aren't divided in two groups of 7,000 ly in length but over 20,000 ly instead , starting "on this side" of the core, passing it and then extending beyond it, towards " the other side" where they subside!

So, not 8 in two groups, but 4 big ones instead. This is the single new thing that I am discovering after CMDR Dognosh. Besides that, I just defined some lose limits to them, as good as I could, and gave them a shape!

Nice post. You are correct that they are huge. The closest starts about 1k down and 1k left and you hit the fields about 12k from sol. They continue in a straight line way past the core. There is a more profitable way of earning cr from exploring though rather than mindless neutron scanning. Have you found it yet?

Nice post. You are correct that they are huge. The closest starts about 1k down and 1k left and you hit the fields about 12k from sol. They continue in a straight line way past the core. There is a more profitable way of earning cr from exploring though rather than mindless neutron scanning. Have you found it yet?

Thanks for the rep! Mapping the fields was more for the sake of defining them and report them to the Galactic Map Project than for "farming". Whereas is a good thing and will definitely get some of those, my exploring passion is not driven by credits, so really not looking hard on what to do to make a dime, but rather to map this part of the galaxy accurately for others to enjoy.

+rep. Nicely done :)

As well as the O, F, G and K stars interspersed within the fields, there's also dense 'clouds' of G class stars in areas of the NS fields where the NS stars thin slightly. They're normally 100Ly or so cubed.

And NS fields are more than just farming - the Forge throws up some crackers systems in them - they're quite nice to potter about in for a bit.

From my research and what I'm poorly trying to convey here is that: The four Neutron Fields are uninterrupted, continuous fields all the way through! They aren't divided in two groups of 7,000 ly in length but over 20,000 ly instead , starting "on this side" of the core, passing it and then extending beyond it, towards " the other side" where they subside!

So, not 8 in two groups, but 4 big ones instead. This is the single new thing that I am discovering after CMDR Dognosh. Besides that, I just defined some lose limits to them, as good as I could, and gave them a shape!

Would you go as far as to say that that the distribution follows a circular/oval area above and below the galactic plane?
Maybe broken/intermittent toruses (tori?)?
I imagine 2 virtual "doughnuts" of high distribution above and below the galactic plane centred on the core region.

Top notch info Kancro. I'm heading corewise now and will use your findings for sure. I hope this thread is already in the sticky list, otherwise it needs to go there ASAP.

Edit: virtual rep, repped you too much it seems.

Last edited:
So, the NS fields -

When you say they aren't truly NS fields, and just super dense star fields - does this mean that the number of stars in a given system is a general function of star density in an area, and that we just think of them as NS fields because, in any collection of a large number of stars, an NS will be the most massive and therefore the point you jump to?

Sorry if this comes across as a bit thick, but this is just occurring to me.

The galaxy in Elite seems to be built from a series of cubes which have different parameters. Two of these will be star density and star type distribution (you can occasionally see quite distinct lines between the cubes where these vary significantly from one to the next).

The entire core region has high star density cubes, the NS fields are a region within that where the type distribution also has a much higher ratio of neutron stars than most areas.

The number of systems with multiple stellar bodies may well also be something that has higher probability in some cubes than others but I don't know if that is true.

so much effort ;) Will add to sticky soon.
any chance of someone doing a "3D" outline of this in our galactic map ?

Thank you CMDR Dognosh!! I wish I had the skills or the time to illustrate this area. Would be could if someone is up to it! Would help with whatever is needed!

Phenomenal effort as always Kancro. Thank you for putting this together.

Thank you CMDR Domaq!! Still lots of things to fill in.

Would you go as far as to say that that the distribution follows a circular/oval area above and below the galactic plane?
Maybe broken/intermittent toruses (tori?)?
I imagine 2 virtual "doughnuts" of high distribution above and below the galactic plane centred on the core region.

Excellent question!! I would have thought the same! I disregarded the doughnut idea after noticing the "inner" limits of the fields was clearly defined at around 1,100ly on each side, on a straight line for the whole length suggesting a more square shape.

While checking the length, I did not notice any "bridge" to close the "square" or area. It's perfectly plausible to think that there are probably another 4 mega structures like these running across the side to enclose the core. But quite honestly, I doubt it.

For those to exist they would be either in front of the fields -putting their estimated near edge close to only 2k-4k ly from Sol- or in between the discovered ones -at any given distance beyond the 10,000ly mark- in which case they would be only 1,000ly in width -providing a gap that must exist since I didnt see a direct connection- of some 500 ly on either side.

So, the NS fields -

When you say they aren't truly NS fields, and just super dense star fields - does this mean that the number of stars in a given system is a general function of star density in an area, and that we just think of them as NS fields because, in any collection of a large number of stars, an NS will be the most massive and therefore the point you jump to?

Sorry if this comes across as a bit thick, but this is just occurring to me.

I meant exactly what he said:
The galaxy in Elite seems to be built from a series of cubes which have different parameters. Two of these will be star density and star type distribution (you can occasionally see quite distinct lines between the cubes where these vary significantly from one to the next).

The entire core region has high star density cubes, the NS fields are a region within that where the type distribution also has a much higher ratio of neutron stars than most areas.

The number of systems with multiple stellar bodies may well also be something that has higher probability in some cubes than others but I don't know if that is true.

This research didn't look for density within systems or anything to do with the system level, but rather on the galactic region level.

These fields happen to have a higher density of all type of stars. But because Neutron are the rarest, when you find many of them in a close area, it just jumps to the eye!

The more I think about it, I think this wasn't necessarily intended. Example: let me make some soup. Let me add some salt, pepper, potatoes and hot sauce. All of a sudden more people are coming to the dinner. I then proceed and add 1 kg of everything! Thing is that I wasn't supposed to add 1 lt of Hot Sauce too! Now, you have a soup from hell!

So, in their efforts to create a very dense area with all kind of stars, they forgot to left the rare type out, and when the engine generated the galaxy, treated these Neutron Stars as regular stars, making them as abundant as, say, B's or F's.

Just a theory. Food for thought, anyways.

I think we should also explain how the neutron fields aren't uniform. I think the high density part of the field is only 100-200 LY thick and it frequently (every 1000 LY ish) jumps up or down 100-200LY so you come to a dead end and have to go up/down to find them again.

So in my trip from about -1000,1200,17000 to -1000,1200,23000 I've had to go as high as 1500 and as low as 1100 to get into the best bit where the neutrons are close enough that you only ever have to make jumps less than 10LY to get from one to the next. Even 100 LY outside this band may mean no neutrons at all.

Anyway, I'm just about done with neutrons - time to go find some BIG black holes :)

I'm currently 1000ly above the edge of Floarps mx-u e2-1530 star field that Kancro spoke about. Brilliant work by the way and well done for putting in the many hours it must have taken you, some more rep for you.
I've tried to video the field from up here using shadow play and uploaded it, probably has poor replay quality, (U-Tube) but it gives us a two dimensional view of the massive area this dense field of stars must cover.

Edit: I should add I'm now making my way down towards it to check it out, 'I may be gone some time'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom