The Odyssey spoiler we all missed? New SC mode?

First of all, apologies if this has been discussed allready but ok here we go.
Tinfoil hat on please.

I just re-re-re-re-reviewed the Dev Diary 1 and I think we will get a new mode of super cruise!?

Maybe a sling shot mechanism?

Look at the part where the mamba does, what it seems like a setup for such a manoeuver.
Or maybe I'am just seeing things.
But why else just show a random mamba in a random station..doing well unusual things.

The part I'am talking about is 2 secs 0:24-0:26
[and apologies I have no clue how to quickly loop a YT clip. and to lazy to gif it]

Look at it.
It's moving while in the countdown.
Is it just cinematics? a super cruise rework? or something else?

Plz discuss.

Ok. I think it used to move during the countdown but then something changed or broke. Perhaps the development version still works as it did before?

I now have "fly around the milkyway" stuck in my head :(
Not sure what I'm seeing though. Looks different to what I use to see. Auto correction only works at high waking, and only towards the target. I dont see a target though.

Last edited:
The part I'am talking about is 2 secs 0:24-0:26
[and apologies I have no clue how to quickly loop a YT clip. and to lazy to gif it]

Look at it.
It's moving while in the countdown.
Is it just cinematics? a super cruise rework? or something else?

Plz discuss.

Great catch. This does at first look like the much requested supercruise boost feature we've been asking for. You'd get a limited amount of time to use it, so it would count down like that. This feature is needed in order to catch up to targets in supercruise and also for reducing the in-system travel time that puts people off of the game. It also would provide something to actively engage in during SC travel, which will prevent players from falling asleep.
The only thing I see wrong with this theory is the speedometer. So it's probably just a dev build that allows manuevering during the low-wake sequece or perhaps that's a change that was added to help pilots evade conflict better.

Yes, I hope this is a great catch, not the first Odyssey bug to be shown... In supercruise countdown we can not steer, and this ship is clearly steering. MAN I hope this is not a bug!

To Reproduce:

Target system, engage FSD, point near system, target something else and wait for countdown, ship will auto adjust towards system but no target on screen.

Coming out of SC, works with SCA not sure if without, say dropping at a station. If slightly turning while SCA drops the movement will continue during dropout and cant be affected during blue tunnel. Dont need the station targeted if using SCA, as long as not another NavPanel selectable unless under Contacts (so ships are fine but POI are not)

Not saying its this but it is replicable.

Or its a dev build without targeting, Ive seen some strange UIs on dev demos?

Edit: ship is going into SC or FSD jump with station targeted so not the 2nd option.

Last edited:
I don't see it, but I wish they would work on reducing the countdown and SC time a little. The effect is cool and all but if the countdown was 3 seconds - or shock! - none - and SC shorter I think that would be a much needed improvement. I know the countdown can be reduced via modifications but just add in that research has shown how to pre-charge an FSD or something, and give everyone with legacy modifications something to stop them whining :)

Yes, I hope this is a great catch, not the first Odyssey bug to be shown... In supercruise countdown we can not steer, and this ship is clearly steering. MAN I hope this is not a bug!

I think i saw this behavior while using SCA drop-off - Tight turn to bring the target in field-of-view while speed is in the blue, SCA is active and the destination is within drop-off distance
As soon the target gets in fov and the SCA activates the drop-off, you get something similar with a field of stars moving within the SCA tunnel... as if the turn that lead to target acquire and SCA drop off keeps its momentum during the actual dropoff

I think i saw this behavior while using SCA drop-off - Tight turn to bring the target in field-of-view while speed is in the blue, SCA is active and the destination is within drop-off distance
As soon the target gets in fov and the SCA activates the drop-off, you get something similar with a field of stars moving within the SCA tunnel... as if the turn that lead to target acquire and SCA drop off keeps its momentum during the actual dropoff
But it shouldn't have the countdown. I think.

The shot you point out has been used before in a trailer that pre-dates the Odyssey announcement. I can't remember the exact trailer, but probably for Beyond, somewhere around that kinda period. And there was debate about it back then.

I think it's just a bit of footage they've taken while messing around in a hot build with some of the screws loosened (more tolerant of misalignment) and they think it looks a bit more dynamic and trailery than the normal jump.

Top Bottom