The overlooked ship, the Keelback.

So I was flying around hav zones, testing out Cutter configs, and wasting a crap load of engineering mats (virtually none left), seeing what modifications and experimental I liked. A Keely jumped into the Nav beacon, as it always has, but this time I noticed the best little twisting of its thrusters and while I probably wouldn’t give it too much of a thought for combat? Though I’m sure it’s just as good as a Cobra, engineered, I dabbled with some Coriolis settings and came up with a great little 40LY+ explorer build! And I think that will be my new explorer (vs my usual Cobra/ Phantom). It’s aesthetic just screams explorer.

So I was flying around hav zones, testing out Cutter configs, and wasting a crap load of engineering mats (virtually none left), seeing what modifications and experimental I liked. A Keely jumped into the Nav beacon, as it always has, but this time I noticed the best little twisting of its thrusters and while I probably wouldn’t give it too much of a thought for combat? Though I’m sure it’s just as good as a Cobra, engineered, I dabbled with some Coriolis settings and came up with a great little 40LY+ explorer build! And I think that will be my new explorer (vs my usual Cobra/ Phantom). It’s aesthetic just screams explorer.
You're just one step away from the perfect explorer--the Type 6!

Good for surface work as the landing gear struts are quite tall so easy to get the SRV under, can hire and fire a crew member for the odd fighter excursion for a change. Handles well fully engineered too.

I have one still from my early days, outfitted for mining and was my third ship. I haven't flown it once (or my Adder and Sidewinder) once I upgraded to the Asp X.

My explorer alt flies a T6, which is just a Keelback lite, and it's fantastic. Nearly the same size as a DBX, but permaboosts faster and has an AspX like view. Great pick mate!

o7

No way! That’s one I’ve never considered. I know they say the Dolphin makes a great one too. And has decent ship kits.
I've always liked it better than the Asp, although it can't jump quite so far. There's someone else who posted a long thread in the exploration forum about his exploits in a Type 6.

And I think that will be my new explorer (vs my usual Cobra/ Phantom). It’s aesthetic just screams explorer.
love my keelback. my first half serious exploration trip i did in a keelback, with slf, just because. excellent ship to roleplay, and it has indeed a lot of character (the inefficiencies are part of it) and is very nice looking: trade ships in elite are actually the most realistic looking with designs that make some actual sense.

I engineered one Keelback, I find it a pretty meh ship. Has similar hardpoint setup as my Cobra MkIII but they are not the same, one is a medium and the other is a small ship. Has better jump range but slower in top speed and boost speed. As for exploration, my Ash Explorer and Diamondback Explorer are better than it.

I love the Keelback!
Now days when I start a new account is the second or third ship I buy usually within a day or even hours of starting the account!

Hopefully the Panther Clipper will end up having a four rotating thrusters look!
I find it a real shame that you can get it in a few hours of play and completely miss out on the hauler, added, eagle, cobra, viper etc.

But I agree that it's a great ship. I used one for while, and used it for many different things like bounty hunting, mining, trade and exploration. It's a great all-rounder.

Top Bottom