Guide / Tutorial The popular guide to mining.

Awhile back I figured a 'better way' to fire my mining lasers at a rock. Once I'm not flying a ship to Jaques station 22 kylies out and I'm back in the bubble I'll update the guide, but since that could be a while I'll explain now:

To help your drones work effectively, you need to be relatively close to the rock when you fire mining lasers at it.
Furthermore, it's smart to fire at the 'axis' if it's a big spinning rock.
But a further trick: Fire at a slight downward angle, and adjust said firing angle so the rocks fly off underneath your ship. It's a lot easier on your drone not having to fly left or right then dive back under your ship.

Awesome guide thanks.
did my first mining ever last night started with a Cobra Mk 3 bit small on cargo.
Tonight will try an ASP outfitted to 96T cargo space.

Nice guide. I could have used it a month ago :D
I'm sure it will come in handy for a lot of people wanting to get in on it. I use a CM4 like this:
https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk...03030346031qC0P4v6.Iw18SQ==.Aw1+gjFQ?bn=CAT X
It's a short range miner/lander and does me just about right. The time it takes me to fill up is usually the same as the time I have for any given outing. I would also mention to those out there starting out that once you are filled up it's worth keeping the bins that are at 100% as they get refined as soon as you sell the cargo and make room for them. Generally I get between 50 and 53 tonnes per trip thanks to that. Also, I do have it well defended with mines and a single missile launcher. Depending on what comes to scan me at the beginning or interdict me on the return trip I can scrap it and collect any valuable materials left in the wreckage ;)

Last edited:
Excellent guide OP! :)
I have always loved mining (use a Type 9 & will convert my Anaconda back into a mining rig for Jaques Station when I get back to the "bubble" for outfitting.

I do not know if you want to include this tool, thank you CMDR VicTick for the tool :D, but I have always found it helpful when mining in Pristine Metallic rings :D

Excellent guide OP! :)
I have always loved mining (use a Type 9 & will convert my Anaconda back into a mining rig for Jaques Station when I get back to the "bubble" for outfitting.

I do not know if you want to include this tool, thank you CMDR VicTick for the tool :D, but I have always found it helpful when mining in Pristine Metallic rings :D
Same one I use. Very good tool!

I heard this from a possibly reputable source, can anyone ( preferably a dev :) ) confirm whether there is a twinkle/shine when in supercruise and in relative proximity to diamonds whilst scanning over an icy ring?

Hey there!

Great guide, very thorough and polished.

Anyway I'm here because I couldn't find an answer on reddit...

Has anyone seen any "Material Content" other than "low"? I've been mining for a few days now, have found the elusive cold diamonds, the not so rare 45% Painite etc... But in more than one thousand prospections I am yet to see one that doesn't say "Material Content: Low" on the bottom.

Support claims no one else is talking about it, so tell me fellow miners, have you seen anything different?

Thank you and fly safe o7

Funnily enough I have been wondering the same thing. Only got into mining recently (mainly to unlock the engineer) and I only ever saw low material content rocks.

Great guide btw, made outfitting a ship for mining a piece of cake.

If you want to find Pristine Metallic Rings you can try the various online resources. I have written one, you can find it here:
http://www.hozbase.co.uk/elitedangerous

Just type in your location and it will list the rings from nearest to furthest to your location. I also link to the guide that is presented here.

Well, CapitanAceR, least I can do is return the favor and link to that inside the guide. ^n.n^
Zoink, updated!

Last edited:
Great guide, it helped a lot.

I spirit I can add few things that I found out by stumbling into them.

First, always mine at the "Day" side of the ring. Midnight mining in the area of ring where planet casts a shadow is cool experience in a "Be a look-out on Titanic" kind a way, but not for serious business.

Second, I would bring more limpets than I expect to need. There are never too many limpets at start of mining. If I run out of cargo and I still have extra in the hold, I simply kill the active collectors by switching the collector controller off and on again and release a new set, freeing up the space for the metals. Single limpet costs 101 cr, single empty ton on return voyage costs 40000 cr. This way I will also get the cargo hold filled to the brim with certainty.

And finally, when talking about filling to the brim, note that refinery is just a fancy cargo rack. After hold is full, the refinery will keep loading the bins until it reaches 100% and after that it is possible to empty other, less than 100%, bins and fill them with same material, the one I am currently mining. The full 100% bins will stay that way until I make room on the hold (preferably on station while selling the haul) and then materialize into the hold as extra tons. Big refinery has better cap than size 2 cargo rack! On smaller ships this can be almost half the haul!

Just a testimonial...

This guide is helping the Palladium CG out at Colonia. I learned about mining from it, and I've shared it with two other Commanders out in Colonia who had never mined before, and in turn have started mining Palladium for the CG.

So, take heart, Lance! You're helping change Colonia, in a round-about-way.... ^_^

Top Bottom