Guide / Tutorial The popular guide to mining.

There is an option in the controls menu to switch HUD modes. (Combat and scanning) you need to be in scanning mode (blue hud) to use the scanners and mining tools.

With the seismic charges when you target the fissure it will say if its low, medium or high strength. This corresponds to how much 'charge' to put into the charges. Match them up and you can usually get in the blue with just a few decently placed charges.

Thanks for the reply...appreciate it...repped :)

So when you say in the controls menu, is that left hand or right hand panel - I did look in both last night but couldn't see anything that corresponded?

Sorry for the noob questions, it's been a few months since I played.

EDIT: so on further reading we are talking about in the options menu, binding a key to switch modes. They didn't think to have it somewhere on the UI? Now I have to take a guess at where that mode switch option will be in the control menu...any pointers would save me some time.

Also I've read that this occurs when you have weapons and scanners on the same fire group yet they happily let you configure your fire groups with both without any warning.....humph.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply...appreciate it...repped :)

So when you say in the controls menu, is that left hand or right hand panel - I did look in both last night but couldn't see anything that corresponded?

Sorry for the noob questions, it's been a few months since I played.

In the controls section of the options menu. Not the in game panels :)

Thx [up]

Another question: did someone calculate the damage of a seismic charge exploding next to a ship (in a realistic mining range...)?
I remember taking some shield damage but not how much it was. I think I lost a ring or two with an c6 shield on a Beluga, so not that much.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Been mining LDT and Void Opal recently and took a few screenshots to show the type of asteroid (pristine icy rings) and surface features you're looking for

The asteroid, I think the fissure in the next image is at the top of the image behind the cockpit frame

2MmjcRH.png

Surface feature a fissure I guess

s0EBzja.png

Hope this helps

Excited yet new to mining. Do I want "fixed" abrasion blasters and "fixed" seismic charge launchers? Also, do I want an OA Pulse wave analayser or some other type?

Thank you in advance

Yes to fixed abrasion blasters and fixed seismic charge launchers as the turreted versions are for multicrew use they'll still work but act as fixed without a 2nd commander in your ship.

As to the pulse wave scanner I've used both 0A and 0C versions and TBH I haven't noticed any difference in core asteroid location rates, if you're looking for new ring hot spots you need a DSS so you can fire off probes at the rings.

My guide to mining is just don't bother.

30 years of Elite and this is all they can conjure from there nether regions.

Happy Yulekwanhanukksmas!

Small update today (and just notice my page one has a weeeird last update date). Adjusted the small and medium ship designs to have pulse wave scanners and seismic launchers - now that coriolis can show those modules.

Still no abrasion blasters, so those designs still tote a pulse laser instead.

Nice guide. Been giving mining a proper go for the past few days and managed to find ONE rhodplumsite core in a hotspot in a pristine metalic ring that I found whilst exploring a few weeks back. Today and yesterday, however, I have found nothing that I can blow apart, which has been bugging me and the experience has left me with a few questions.

Are hotspots bugged? I know painite and rhodplumsite are supposed to be rare, but I've found these precisely once each, in hours of playing in their respective 'hotspots'. Are some hotspots hotter than others?

How rare are asteroids with fissures? I've only found one!

How far do you have to be outside of the bubble for npc pirates not to spawn? I'm about 150ly out and i get maybe one or two obligatory rats pop in to a belt that I can usually ignore. Today however, I logged myself out after a few hours of harvesting and a krait in a wing landed on my head almost as soon as I loaded my game and I lost hours of cargo, and now I'm really salty about it [noob]. I mean I get the rats in res sites, but I'm way across town and spawning a pirate in a belt as soon as you appear in it (and only ever then) is really stooopid. You don't have to feel like it's necessary, Frontier. You can just take that spawn away. It's OK [up]

A word of wisdom to anyone mining alone: If you have cargo, it's a good idea to leave the belt before you log out...

Last edited:
Well Snafu...
Those fissured are pretty rare yes, so it takes persistence and luck to find them. Interestingly I find it easier to search for them in rocky or icy rings as I can eyeball a potential asteroid from up close to try and see the fissures without spending a prospector limpet.
Also, there's no need to be in a pristine, according to some. It's good enough to be in a dense field.
if you are in a hotspot those fissured roids are not obligated to match the hotspot (it just improves your odds).

As for pirates vs outside the bubble? Hard to tell, I haven't tested that thoroughly enough. But those few stations making a line from the bubble to the california nebula? Definitely quiet around them. So it's less than a kylie.

Untill 3.3 arrived the T10 was the ultimate miner IMO, but now for deep core mining I am not so sure. Anyone tried it?

I am wondering if it’s too big to fly between the debris from the destroyed asteroids, or not agile enough to place the explosives in time.

Last edited:
I tried to mine in Cutter, but its too big and too sluggish, so i think t10 will be the same. I could barely place seismic charges right in time cause of lack of ship's agility. Another thing is flying between chunks of destroyed asteroid. The big ships simply cannot fit and fly easy there.
Also you dont need so much cargo space for deep core mining. Currently i'm getting about 40-60 tonnes of cargo per hour, depending from hotspot rngesus :D
I'm curently using Phantom for deep core mining and it's working very good.

Last edited:
I tried to mine in Cutter, but its too big and too sluggish, so i think t10 will be the same. I could barely place seismic charges right in time cause of lack of ship's agility. Another thing is flying between chunks of destroyed asteroid. The big ships simply cannot fit and fly easy there.
Also you dont need so much cargo space for deep core mining. Currently i'm getting about 40-60 tonnes of cargo per hour, depending from hotspot rngesus :D
I'm curently using Phantom for deep core mining and it's working very good.

Okay - thank you [up].

I’m mining with my Anaconda and I think it’s showing its limits due to the rather poor speed and manoeuvrability of the ship. I can still go between asteroids blocks and send the seismic charges around, but it feels a bit tight and stressful to do in the two minutes countdown. On the other hand, there’s enough hardpoints and a fighter bay to dispatch pirates. Overall, it’ll be more comfortable with a nimbler ship at the expense of survivability.

Am I doing something wrong?

Ive been doing some mining lately and am finding the puls scanner to be less than reliable.

Example being the mission I just did.

Took off in a krait with all the necessary tools as well as 70 limpets.

Go to icy ring
map icy ring
drop into center of a Mote hot spot

Start using pulse wave scanner and firing prospecting limpets at the brightest asteroids.

I found 3 that actually had Mote in a Mote hot spot in about 45 min and using about 50 limpets.

the really odd part is that some of the "brightest" asteroids on the pulse scanner were not only not what I was looking for, they were worthless.. like water, low density..

is it supposed to be this inaccurate or am I missing something?

EDIT: for some reason the forum keeps changing M.o.n.a.z.i.t.e to "Mote" no matter how many times I change it.,

Last edited:
Top Bottom