The Ranger Post Challenge

Greetings all, I've recently got the misfortune of looking at a Necroed thread complaining about map size. And it got me to thinking about just how large (or more accurately, small) my enclosures were in the previous game. So it got me thinking, what's a good and fun way to try and make a good sized enclosure but still keep the animals inside happy? That's when I came up with this idea, and decided to share it with the Forum here. Since this is about creating enclosures this section should be good for this challenge of mine. Ladies, Gents, and all those in between, I present to you... The Ranger post challenge, and I invite all of you interested to take part!

So what is the Ranger post challenge? If the title was not obvious enough, this is a challenge that makes you the player build an enclosure the size of the diameter of a single ranger post. Sounds easy? Well sorry, it's not as cut and dray as you may think. As I do have a few rules to lay down before you get building. Can't have you doing the cheap rout and just doing things as lazy as possible now can we? The goal of this challenge is to make people think about the layout and design of an enclosure, while being restricted to a fixed set of space. To show players you don't need a gargantuan enclosure to house a dinosaur, and to make them be mindful about conserving space. That Said, Here are the rules...

Rules

1. The size of the enclosure must be the exact dimensions of the diameter of the range of one ranger post. No Larger, No Smaller, no boxes, only circles.

2. As proof you are following the Rule 1, you must include a Ranger post in the enclosure and have at least 2 screenshots with it visible.

3. Needless to say, Lagoons are forbidden in this challenge. I will allow Aviaries since they have habitat requirements. But it may be hard to meet Rule 2 if you do. But until Aquatics get a much needed overhaul to their habitats, they are not allowed to take part in the challenge (they likely wouldn't be worth much anyway since there isn't much risk to having them.)

4. No Mods, if you play with mods to forgo the spatial limitations of a map then it defeats the spirit and overall point of this challenge. Creature mods are also Forbidden, I don't want to see any Mini I-rexes or oversized Garfields (and I don't need to meet the sleep paralysis demon that possessed you to download (or worse create) the latter)

5. No desert Maps, deserts have no forest requirement, which makes things too easy and once again defeats the whole point.

6. Dinosaur Comfort needs must be turned on, no point in doing this challenge if you just make the dinosaurs happy all the time.

7. More of a note than a rule, but I'm adding a point system to malke it a bit of a competition (see how well you do against other users?). The More Enclosures you build of the same size on the map you chose the higher you'll score. Each enclosure will be worth 1 point, an additional 2 points for every 5 enclosures you have on the map, and a bonus 7 points for building in the UK Map as it is smaller than the others. What's housed in the enclosure will also contribute to score, with all Small and medium herbivores being worth 1 point each, and Armored herbivore species housed inside being worth 3, Sauropods being worth 5 (except for Nigersaurus and Amargasaus which are both worth 1), Small Carnivores being worth 4 (Except Compsognathus, worth 1 point), Medium carnivores being worth 7 (Safe for Suckomimus and Baryonyx, which are both are worth 5) , and Apex carnivores (Acrocanthosaurus, Charcharadontosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Spinosaurus, and Tyrannosaurus) and Hybrids are worth 10 points. All pterasaurs are worth 2 points. This applies to the number of SPECIES in an enclosure and not the number of DINOSAURS.

8. A Dinosaur needs to have a comfort rating of at least 90% in order for it to count towards your score.

9. Do at least attempt to make your parks look nice, you ARE building a zoo essentially. What point is there if it doesn't look nice too?

10. The challenge is over when...

- You Resign, count all the points you scored and tally them up for next time.

- You run out of space to build enclosures, if you are unable to build any more enclosures you must stop. You may put the final touches on your park but you cannot add or remove any more dinosaurs unless they are dead.

- A Dinosaur or Pterasaur escapes its enclosure, if this happens. Your score becomes Zero, and you lose. Yes, you MUST have breakouts turned ON.

-A Dinosaur dies in combat. Your dinosaurs are not allowed to fight, but you must keep the setting on that allows them to. If a dinosaur is killed or hunted by another animal, you must stop. tally up your score and DIVIDE it by the victorious dinosaur's point value (I.E if a T-rex kills another of it's kind, divide your score by 10)

And there you have it, this is my challenge to any builder who dares take it on. I look forward to seeing your parks challengers, now get out there and get building! May the best architect win!

Last edited:
Top Bottom