General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
We have just under a hundred days here for the same scenario to play out.

Things always get more extreme as instability increases, and in democracies, that is always tied to pre election periods.
I thought we had a shot at an economic restart up till this week. Epidemiology guys say they cannot source the cases back to the origin, same as the US in Feb.
That is Game Over for "containment". Now on to trying to put out fires.

Globally case counts have doubled in the last 6 weeks to ~6 million active cases. There are 22 weeks left for the curse that is 2020. 22/6= about 4.
Double 6, 4 times:
12, 24, 48, 96
Crudely, we may see about 50 - 100 million or so active cases globally by New Years Day projecting at current rates. But the areas open for expansion are Latin America, Africa, and India. With decreased infrastructure, resources, communications and money. So no stretch to assume spread will be worse than now.

In the developed world, hospitals are pretty full at 6 million.

Forget getting into any hospitals by then. Have your heart attacks now please.

Other effects:

Persons may become more isolated, and alienated/depressed. Few things can replace actual physical companionship. Norms of behavior might begin to approach the internet in RL, :(

Secondly, I had to wait several hours yesterday in retail establishments. I'm in at least two risk groups for the pandemic. Am I irrational, in fearing exposure? One of my friends just got it. If it spreads by aerosol, few treatments will prevent spread in closed, heavily trafficked spaces. I find myself worrying. I was once a physically active person, who relished travel. Now, I will find any rationalization against leaving my apartment.

A note on the economy: The manager of my apartment complex has been working alone for six days now. Her staff is gone. Did they get the virus too? Also, the recruiters calling me are offering very poor positions. People are leaving bad jobs, if they are employed. Something is going on...

Other effects:

Persons may become more isolated, and alienated/depressed. Few things can replace actual physical companionship. Norms of behavior might begin to approach the internet in RL, :(

Secondly, I had to wait several hours yesterday in retail establishments. I'm in at least two risk groups for the pandemic. Am I irrational, in fearing exposure? One of my friends just got it. If it spreads by aerosol, few treatments will prevent spread in closed, heavily trafficked spaces. I find myself worrying. I was once a physically active person, who relished travel. Now, I will find any rationalization against leaving my apartment.

A note on the economy: The manager of my apartment complex has been working alone for six days now. Her staff is gone. Did they get the virus too? Also, the recruiters calling me are offering very poor positions. People are leaving bad jobs, if they are employed. Something is going on...

There'a a fine line between reasonable precautions and being overly anxious. Get deliveries if you can, wear a mask, wash your hands and check out the queue before shopping, if I see a long line of people outside or at the tills I go somewhere else or call back at a quieter time. Shopping early means its quiet and the good breads on display.

I hadn't heard much about it, but in local news outlets Montana was singled-out as an example of regions were things are not going all that great. Odd, as that state is pretty much never mentioned in our news unless preceded by 'Hanna'. So I checked the stats. :/

Screenshot-20200729-184340-2.png

As we discussed earlier: it may take a while but it inevitably will make its way to even the most rural area. That's a sobering thought for the billions of people living in India and such but outside the major hubs.

Other effects:

Oh yes.

There is an increase in suicides because of the situation, not just the "unemployment" . ICU staff can only handle so much deaths under their care before it accumulates into something like PTSD. And civilians on the edge will get tipped over.

Depression anxiety and suicide rates are inversely proportional to Lithium levels in drinking water. As bizarre as it sounds, our lives may depend on what is in the soil of the aquifers that feed our reservoirs.

Pharmacies sell lithium orotate supplements. I could probably use some myself!

Newsfeed shows that mask resister Louie Gohmert is now infected...

I hadn't heard much about it, but in local news outlets Montana was singled-out as an example of regions were things are not going all that great. Odd, as that state is pretty much never mentioned in our news unless preceded by 'Hanna'. So I checked the stats. :/

Screenshot-20200729-184340-2.png

That graph shows a probable human behavioural change in mid May.
Was there any major event around that time?

Was there not protests about freedom and stuff at the state house?

Seems that was in mid-April? Just as the curve had been corrected. :censored:

Seems that was in mid-April? Just as the curve had been corrected. :censored:

On the bright side, I have been just been informed that you´ll be fine if you don´t engage in intercourse with demons. So after some minor changes in my weekend schedule I´m feeling pretty safe already!

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Heather, you deleted 33% of the US economy in*one quarter*:

Also a hurricane is hitting the US East Coast this weekend. :(
Stating the rules is all I was doing. Not to sure what the rest of that has to with me. I just live there (well here)

Stating the rules is all I was doing. Not to sure what the rest of that has to with me. I just live there (well here)
Glad you're back.

We are living through a unique historical period. It's a period that cannot be filtered away. It can't be moderated, regardless of forum rules. It can't be deleted, or banned.

You are within your rights to use you mod powers to follow policy. But, you can't stop what is happening in real life. Delete posts, ban people, and the march of history will still go on. And roll right over you.

Your profile says that you are from the US. In less than one hundred days, history will occur. You should already know that can't be separated from everything. Or, anything.

Ralph, MAJ, USAF (R), 429th TFS.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom