General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Soooo....what do you guys think about convalescent plasma ?
Pretty old news, isn't it?
Been in use worldwide for what, 6 months now, with not much impact reported.
Not especially helpful in most studies I read up, but some give it about a 35% illness shortening effect? AFAIK.
There's a real risk of spreading hepatitis and HIV from pooled plasma. VERY bad idea to take it in places like China. Probably Ok in the West?

Note for Robin: With the bosses gone, I was one of the few wearing a mask. You can predict what comes next. I dread it might include me, despite precautions.

There's not much you can do in an environment that has a high viral load and isn't ventillated. The masks all fail to filter out an infectious innoculum over time, and wearing spacesuits isn't as practical as Elite spaceship commanding makes it seem. I've posted some things you could do with a surgical mask to improve its filtration.

There's some evidence that vitamin D reduces the severity of the infection, and a 400 IU dose should be easily available.

Working in airconditioning is a problem for my gear. The interior of the plastic shield fogs. So I periodically have to leave, decontaminate, take it off wipe it out, and then reapply. It is a chore. And it of course raises the risk of contamination.

Bought some PVC pipe to make valves etc for a non-fogging version. But I'm too tired to do much handicraft these days.

Had the idea that the pipe could make a border that has a built in filtered air intake for the facehugger shield that I made..
Like say the headband for a face shield could have 2 intakes on either side, and they feed air in through some drilled out holes behind the transparent shield. Cut the filters out of a surgical mask about the size of a big coin, and then seal them in place with a PVC elbow over the ends of the pipe. So that's easy to pop off and change, it's waterproofed against splashes, and has it's own little sub shield.

All we'd need is one exhaust valve. Which is a little PVC pipe slice with a bit of balloon or rubber glove.
And then, no more mask underneath. Shield is just a hacked up plastic bottle.

fhb5InY.jpg

I can just split 2 feet of O2 tube and run it round the edge to get the gasket. Whole thing would cost about $1. Airflow should stop fogging. Should be much more easy to wear for extended periods. No straps, no elastic, it just clamps onto the face. I'd have to drill and heat the pipe, then just bend it a bit.

There's space inside the pipe for loose dry cottonwool, impregnated with salt microcrystals, if we wanted a lightweight second layer of virus killing.

🇹🇹
Got called out to treat/reroute 2 Covid cases from entering the centre today.
Not ones that happen to be infected but don't know it.
That's a new phenomenon, where they're diagnosed with it, placed in quarantine with police supervision, but try to sneak out to gain entry to private facilities as the illness worsens. Under the present regulations, private services are supposed to refuse these cases, and pass them onto the National Service, where a co-ordinated effort is being mounted.

This is entirely predictable, since the calculated public system overrun is approaching. We crossed 1000 total cases today nationally. It will take at least a week to ten days to see the rate of increase blunt following the lockdown; at 100 new/day now it would be easy for the existing number to get to around 2500-3000 by then. At that point, the overspill into centres like mine will be a rather routine thing.

Speculatively, if they need to increase bedspace they will eventually have to take us over.

I read an article about some people being unable to process the huge numbers involved so it just doesn't actually register as a threat.
Like I said earlier, I think there's an education failure somewhere, but I was told I was being mean. In the antivax video earlier one of the arguments was - "They're making a vaccine for a virus with a 99.4% cure rate! Think about that." (sic) Well, if they understood basic math they'd know they just said they're OK with 10s of millions of people dying - education failure. Not to mention they got their basic facts wrong - at last count 800K out of 23M people with the virus have died, that's closer to 4%, 4 times as high as the initial predicted mortality rate, which seems to have been glossed over recently.

Like I said earlier, I think there's an education failure somewhere, but I was told I was being mean. In the antivax video earlier one of the arguments was - "They're making a vaccine for a virus with a 99.4% cure rate! Think about that." (sic) Well, if they understood basic math they'd know they just said they're OK with 10s of millions of people dying - education failure. Not to mention they got their basic facts wrong - at last count 800K out of 23M people with the virus have died, that's closer to 4%, 4 times as high as the initial predicted mortality rate, which seems to have been glossed over recently.

The numbers thing isn't related to education, the numbers involved being so huge puts them into abstract territory. So it's more difficult to visualize in your minds eye and the threat in a string of zero's doesn't register for some. Using the argument it'll kill one in fifty (one in twenty five from Robins stats above) is more effective as we all know that many people so you visualize which individuals it might be.

So, an unsourced 1:30 video asserting stuff about the platform's funding means what exactly for the Article I linked to ?

Watching and believing without question everything you see in a youtube video is what "doing you own research" can mean now.

Yeah, I thought the study was pretty desperate to defend Tedros.

I thought it indicated just how unhinged the people spreading the anti Tedros garbage are since some of the linked hashtags are bonkers satanic space lizard conspiracies.

99.4% cure rate is good enough. It's not like the 0.6% will die. 0.6% will not get an effective vaccine. Few of them will get infected if 99.4% are immune and the virus will have a hard time spreading.
If some of them get infected, they will have at least the same survival rate as now. Probably far higher, as there wouldn't be capacity issues in hospitals.

The current 4% global mortality is mostly a result of poor testing. The real number of people that are / have been infected is probably far above 100M.
Iceland is at about 0.5% mortality rate. I believe they are among the best in testing.

99.4% cure rate is good enough. It's not like the 0.6% will die. 0.6% will not get an effective vaccine. Few of them will get infected if 99.4% are immune and the virus will have a hard time spreading.
If some of them get infected, they will have at least the same survival rate as now. Probably far higher, as there wouldn't be capacity issues in hospitals.

The current 4% global mortality is mostly a result of poor testing. The real number of people that are / have been infected is probably far above 100M.
Iceland is at about 0.5% mortality rate. I believe they are among the best in testing.

Yep the other end of that spectrum being stopping testing then declaring the new low detection rate shows you've successfully reduced cases.

Deleted member 257907

D
Watching and believing without question everything you see in a youtube video is what "doing you own research" can mean now.

All the video does is show Elliot Higgins (Founder and executive director of Bellingcat) tweet in which he says which organisations funded belling-cat.
heres the tweet
Source: https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/828554441485869056?lang=en

Now if they happened to be payed by the Russians instead MAYBE then you'd be more critical when they release story's about MH-17 Ukraine and Syria.

All the video does is show Elliot Higgins (Founder and executive director of Bellingcat) tweet in which he says which organisations funded belling-cat.
heres the tweet
Source: https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/828554441485869056?lang=en

Now if they happened to be payed by the Russians instead MAYBE then you'd be more critical when they release story's about MH-17 Ukraine and Syria.

I read different versions of things from a variety of sources then make my own mind up usually. Bellingcat scores very well in fact checking comparisons, IIRC it's slap in the middle of the bias range and very highly rated for accuracy which puts it in the highest brackets. If you want a laugh pop infowars or the daily mail into one.

The new and improved red scare is like satanic panics and white genocide they are not conspiracy theories I take that seriously beyond them sometimes inspiring real violence. The cold war has turned a bit frosty again so people are playing propaganda in both directions.

Uh huh. Gotta love how you can turn someone into a sociopath, mysoginist or racist by twisting and redefining the meaning of the word, phrase or label until someone who wouldn't have fit that profile as recently as a year ago suddenly falls within these negative parameters. Burn the witch!

As an aside. when I used to participate on The Twitter, I used to see these accounts, they were always talking about freedom of speech, how awful political correctness is, cancel culture and so on. They'd call people snowflakes who took umbrage to their tweets. They'd ridicule people for having their 'fee fees' hurt by words. Then they themselves would get called racist or misogynist. At that point, all notions of freedom of speech went out the window, suddenly, these mere words, were highly offensive. People were told that they had no right to use those terms for them.

Hilarious.

I'm pretty sure there is a much stronger correlation with people being stupid and not wearing masks where they'd be relevant than having some kind of antisocial personality disorder and not wearing masks.

Soooo....what do you guys think about convalescent plasma ?

A promising treatment for those who need hospitalization that should be studied further, but probably not a miracle cure, and certainly not a replacement for mitigation efforts or work toward an effective vaccine.

Hmm, man reinfected with a different strain - April then August. that's not good

Some important things to note the reinfection is believed to have happened in Spain or the UK with the initial infection in Hong Kong. So he's been exposed to different strains that were geographically separated and may have mutated in different ways.

One fantastic bit of news is that he was hospitalized with a severe reaction to covid in March, this time he's asymptomatic (but in hospital as a precaution) so either he's immune to the worst effects now or its mutated and is becoming less pathogenic. Maybe both.

"This is no cause for alarm - this is a textbook example of how immunity should work,"

Some important things to note the reinfection is believed to have happened in Spain or the UK with the initial infection in Hong Kong. So he's been exposed to different strains that were geographically separated and may have mutated in different ways.

One fantastic bit of news is that he was hospitalized with a severe reaction to covid in March, this time he's asymptomatic (but in hospital as a precaution) so either he's immune to the worst effects now or its mutated and is becoming less pathogenic. Maybe both.

"This is no cause for alarm - this is a textbook example of how immunity should work,"

It actually says "The 33-year-old man in Hong Kong developed mild symptoms in late March when he was first diagnosed with COVID-19..."

So another factor maybe he didn't develop many antibodies as it was a mild first infection?

It actually says "The 33-year-old man in Hong Kong developed mild symptoms in late March when he was first diagnosed with COVID-19..."

So another factor maybe he didn't develop many antibodies as it was a mild first infection?

My take on this paragraph is mild at diagnosis then hospitalized once it worsened, since mild symptoms don't require hospitalization. However Hong Kong may do things very differently to the UK.

"The 33-year-old man in Hong Kong developed mild symptoms in late March when he was first diagnosed with COVID-19, the researchers at the University of Hong Kong wrote in a study that has been accepted for publication by the medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. The patient was hospitalized March 29, but his symptoms subsided and he was discharged April 14, according to the study."

Last edited:
Well, it happened.

I had to take a Covid-19 test this morning.

I have to isolate until the test results are in.

So much for that job.

If it comes back negative, I'd reconsider if returning to work is really a good plan...
So, vitamin D then?

Regarding that reinfected case, something unclear:
If the second infection is asymptomatic, how/why was another test done again?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom