General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Sure

Peak mortality on or before May 15, 2020 as defined by NIH

I'll send $1k to Jason to hold for the winner over PayPal if you do as well.

Well, I definitely think US mortality rates from COVID-19 will peak after May 15th, 2020. The NIH is a perfectly acceptable source for the data.

However, if we're going to have someone hold the funds in escrow, I'd prefer a more impartial intermediary.

Well, I definitely think US mortality rates from COVID-19 will peak after May 15th, 2020. The NIH is a perfectly acceptable source for the data.

However, if we're going to have someone hold the funds in escrow, I'd prefer a more impartial intermediary.

I can find a professional escrow broker if that's acceptable.

I have access to several law firms who can do this.

In Europe we have been ahead for a couple of weeks, it has happened in Spain and other countries after Italy, we did not believe them and we did not take measures ... many manifestations by the women´s day were allowed before the quarantine, thousands were infected, many politicians still they are recovering .... in US it just started now, we talked in a week or 2.

Some recent stats put New York as overtaking Spain and Italy on the infection front. In the Daily Mail though so it should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Here's a direction this conversation hasn't gone yet: where are the stories of high profile dignitaries, actors, politicians, royalty, media darlings etc succumbing to the virus? We know that this virus is well integrated across all walks of life, cultures, occupations, castes, so where's the data on that?

Prince Charles has caught it, and has only mild symptoms. People want to know how he got tested when medics are in self isolation not knowing either way and the public only get tested if they are flat on their backs in hospital.

While I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of reserve lung capacity and good cardiovascular health was correlated with higher survival rates, I suspect any appreciable difference in outcomes among the wealth will have far less to do with having personal trainers and nutritionists than simply being assured prompt access to treatment.

The idea that celebrities and politicians are less likely to catch, or come down with a serious case of, coronavirus doesn't seem well supported. Nor does it take a conspiracy for those who can afford the best private health care available to see low fatality rates for an illness that generally has very low fatality rates when adequately treated.

I agree with what you're saying. All I meant was that they as a rule of thumb have the time and capacity to go out and about with their personal trainers on exercise plans and the funds to follow nutritionist guidelines, whereas obviously Big Davey the Bricklayer from down the Building Site with his 5 kids doesn't have access to that same standard of life.

That said, there are a more than a few outliers now whom are in the 'young and fitty' camp who are suffering with it in a bad way, such as these poor chaps.

Although they were older people, they were in good health before being attacked by the virus.

Good health does not exclude preexisting conditions.
Medical science is doing wonders in keeping in-check ailments that otherwise would be deadly, but then comes SARS-COV-2 which has the nasty propriety of ruining that frail balance.

I will re-post this link that does an analysis of the first 2000 deaths from Italy.
It's in French, but Google translate really works.

https://www.jim.fr/e-docs/covid_19_...abzxantvYreuV9MkogzAxz-sEZxTZGieBifdERbhdMlow

Last edited:
Prince Charles has caught it, and has only mild symptoms. People want to know how he got tested when medics are in self isolation not knowing either way and the public only get tested if they are flat on their backs in hospital.

At least he's Prince Charles - and he's positive, so there were some suspicions
We got a mayor that was bragging that he's being tested weekly (negative)... while people that really need the test are not.
Think it was reported 1-2 days ago that we performed about 12000 tests... some of them wasted on idiots like that mayor

Does make you wonder how 'mild' his symptoms might actually be in actuality behind the story the media are circulating. He is getting on a bit.

Does make you wonder how 'mild' his symptoms might actually be in actuality behind the story the media are circulating. He is getting on a bit.

First in line to the throne and his Mum is one the richest people in the world, they'll be testing the entire family daily.

Camilla his wife has tested negative with no symptoms, which again isn't the same testing regime the rest of us are getting.

Good grief. And I get accused of dangerous conspiracy theories. I was talking about a full scale mobility... against the virus. Calm down a few notches my friend:)

That's a relief I was getting this sort of vibe :
th5IYXOLB4.jpg

First in line to the throne and his Mum is one the richest people in the world, they'll be testing the entire family daily.

Camilla his wife has tested negative with no symptoms, which again isn't the same testing regime the rest of us are getting.

Its entirely possible he was lucky. An alternative study done by Oxford suggested this virus has been doing the rounds since Jan and its only now its been outed because we know what we are looking at. It seems some people barely get affected (a healthy 21 year old died today for example) while others its lethal.

Some recent stats put New York as overtaking Spain and Italy on the infection front. In the Daily Mail though so it should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

In Spain(reliable news and testimonies), over 700 people are dying right now,every day more than the previous,every 15 minutes a infected person dies, and this is a fact from a few days ago, now it has accelerated.
The videos of real testimonies from doctors, nurses, and professionals who are experiencing it first hand ,are heartbreaking.

In Spain(reliable news and testimonies), over 700 people are dying right now,every day more than the previous,every 15 minutes a infected person dies, and this is a fact from a few days ago, now it has accelerated.
The videos of real testimonies from doctors, nurses, and professionals who are experiencing it first hand ,are heartbreaking.

I don't doubt it, we'll find out in the next few weeks how ineffective our quarantine efforts have been so far.

Talking about dangerous countries, Iran isn't doing very well it seems. Some anonymous health workers in Teheran were in touch with a Norwegian journalist. They explained that the situation is far worse than what the government reports. According to these people, Italy has an easy ride compared to Iran.

As most of us are holed-up at home, lets go for the christmas spirit of giving the mods a break and talking about COVID19 instead of geopolitics. :cool:

Its entirely possible he was lucky. An alternative study done by Oxford suggested this virus has been doing the rounds since Jan and its only now its been outed because we know what we are looking at. It seems some people barely get affected (a healthy 21 year old died today for example) while others its lethal.
Which story is the media more likely to propagate, the not as bad story or the really bad story?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom