PvP The short range blaster Fer-De-Lance

WARNING: TEMPERATURE CRITICAL!

Nice loadout though and wicked damage.

Also a shout out to CMDR Soltan Gris for the name... although not exactly the sort of character one would imagine fighting, more likely hiding in fear.

Go on, tell him to git gud :D

Seriously though, was subtargetting even necessary with that damage output?

Also, super pens right? They will just go through and damage whatever is en-route.
That was in no way meant as git gud, he's gud enough 😆
Just curious...

So Yamato2012 gave me a build to try a while ago, brought it to an Australian PvP event and it worked pretty damn well!

Beautiful flying Hazzmango. I have a similar FDL with the srb rails but with an efficient fixed thermal beam. It works very nicely and I carry only one heat sink... the rest skill boosters and chaff. The heat spikes are much less frequent than with Yamatos build. Is the huge MC corrosive that much more advantageous than a thermal vent beam? Thank you very much and have a nice day.

o7

Edit: I tried a gimballed long range thermal vent beam and that was way too hot.

Last edited:
Is the gimballed that much more advantageous than a huge fixed MC corrosive?

Simultaneous convergence. You can concentrate on landing shots with the rails rather than having to constantly shift between aiming hitscan weapons and leading the target. The increased arc of fire is also handy, while the minor downsides are all but irrelevant...chaff isn't going to keep the corrosive effect from being applied and most of the damage is coming from the rails.

I tried a gimballed long range thermal vent beam and that was way too hot.

A long range huge beam will rapidly deplete WEP and a gimbaled one will miss too often at the ranges long range helps most at. Lightweight is probably the best option for a thermal vent beam on a hot running, shield focused, FDL. Thermal vent has no falloff, even if the weapon's damage does, but it needs to hit to work.

Simultaneous convergence. You can concentrate on landing shots with the rails rather than having to constantly shift between aiming hitscan weapons and leading the target. The increased arc of fire is also handy, while the minor downsides are all but irrelevant...chaff isn't going to keep the corrosive effect from being applied and most of the damage is coming from the rails.

Ummmm...

The fixed beam doesn't have a reticle. I just assumed the beam and rails targeted the same. I just aim for the ship. So where should I ideally aim the beam?

EDIT : [Maybe you were referring to my first draft of the post where I was wondering about the efficacy of a fixed Multi instead of a gimballed. I realized the reticle would still be in the same place of a fixed MC so I edited that out. I apologize for the confusion].

The corrosive effect is chaff resistant? Is the corrosive effect some mysterious substance that hits the target even if the actual small munition doesn't? Sorry, a bit more confused than usual.
:)

In addition, is the functioning of the corrosive effect indicated by its icon underneath the enemy hologram? ( I am assuming one just spams the gimballed MC fire button.) Getting the rails to hit at the same time the corrosive effect icon is lit is no mean feat. Ideally, if one were great at aiming a fixed beam one is guaranteed that damage and the beam's damage is also TLB resistant as well as chaff resistant. And of course one never runs out of ammo with a beam.... It just seems to me the cool down and uncertainty of the corrosive effect being in effect somewhat diminishes that 20% damage bonus.

Please enlighten this rather dim and witless one, O Sages of Theorycrafting.

Thank you. May your aim be as good as your most recently deceased elite rated npc pilot.

:)

Last edited:
Ummmm...

The fixed beam doesn't have a reticle. I just assumed the beam and rails targeted the same. I just aim for the ship. So where should I ideally aim the beam?

EDIT : [Maybe you were referring to my first draft of the post where I was wondering about the efficacy of a fixed Multi instead of a gimballed. I realized the reticle would still be in the same place of a fixed MC so I edited that out. I apologize for the confusion].

I was referring to the MC.

The corrosive effect is chaff resistant?

Corrosion lasts five seconds and has no cool down; only intermittent hits are needed to keep the effect up.

A long range huge beam will rapidly deplete WEP and a gimbaled one will miss too often at the ranges long range helps most at. Lightweight is probably the best option for a thermal vent beam on a hot running, shield focused, FDL. Thermal vent has no falloff, even if the weapon's damage does, but it needs to hit to work.
omg... this is one of the most fun builds I have had the privilege to shoot

boom!
I switched from a fixed efficient tv beam to a fixed lightweight tv beam and as usual, Morbad, you are correct in its being the better option. Not only does the lightweight vent more heat, but also the build gained another 4m/s.

whee! thank you.

omg... this is one of the most fun builds I have had the privilege to shoot

boom!
I switched from a fixed efficient tv beam to a fixed lightweight tv beam and as usual, Morbad, you are correct in its being the better option. Not only does the lightweight vent more heat, but also the build gained another 4m/s.

whee! thank you.

I initially used a lightweight beam as well and it's still super fun, you do miss out on those rare chances to lay 5 volleys into someone at point blank range, but I think it's more versatile with the beam.

I loved flying the Rail-de-Lance. I used a lightweight thermal vent beam BUT my rails were long range. Do you guys think that was a mistake? My thought process was that I could always take range advantage over certian loadouts if the situation called for it?

The lr rail de lance is what I would start with before going to the srb blaster. At first I tried the srb blaster and at that time my rail aim was even worse than now, so at that time, that build was a disaster for me. Then I went to lr and that was much easier since I could be 3km away and have more time to aim. And of course the micro gimballing helps, too. The lr is very practical but does not do enough damage. SRB is more difficult in my opinion because of time to aim and even more heat. The damage output of the srb rail de lance makes it quite divine. And it's all hitscan. Viscerally, the srb is much much more satisfactory.

I am relatively new to PvP so I could be wrong.
o7

Edit: There are some builds which use a lr feedback cascade instead of a srb feedback cascade. The rest of the rails being srb super pen.

So Yamato2012 gave me a build to try a while ago, brought it to an Australian PvP event and it worked pretty damn well!

Absolutely impressive flying and aiming, enjoyed every second of it.

...Getting the rails to hit at the same time the corrosive effect icon is lit is no mean feat. ...
.... It just seems to me the cool down and uncertainty of the corrosive effect being in effect somewhat diminishes that 20% damage bonus.

Rails have 100 piercing, Huge MC has 68, armor hardness goes to 65 tops for mediums (70 for fdev godmode childs, named mamba and fdl) - so corrosive won't help rails and it will only marginally help mc damage when hitting ships with stronger hulls (fdl, mamba, cutter, corvette and T10)**
So i wonder if anything else than corrosive would not be better (multiservos, oversize, autoloader)

However, corrosive is still useful if the target is focused and hit by cmdrs with lower piercing weaps and also it has the benefit of putting (some) psychological pressure on the target cmdr with the those scary messages one gets when hit by corrosive

**that If i'm not getting things like corrosive, armor hardness and armor piercing totally wrong:
corrosive does not increase damage, it lowers armor hardness value.
and
if weapon piercing is not equal or bigger than armor hardness, then that weapon will be doing diminished damaged, proportional with the difference (cytos with 1 piercing will do no damage to hulls)

**that If i'm not getting things like corrosive, armor hardness and armor piercing totally wrong:
corrosive does not increase damage, it lowers armor hardness value.
and
if weapon piercing is not equal or bigger than armor hardness, then that weapon will be doing diminished damaged, proportional with the difference (cytos with 1 piercing will do no damage to hulls)

Damn, this could be right, but...

text on corrosive says:
Experimental rounds that temporarily weaken hull hardness and increase all damage taken, at the cost of reduced ammo capacity.

So one could argue if the damage increase is meant only relative due to the weakened hull or if there is an absolute damage increase included.

I would really like to know.

Can we just take a second to appreciate how the rail gun (however you may feel on its tier) has one of the most satisfying feedbacks in the game. You do feel like youre punching something right in the face.
I have never ever punched any one in the face, so I will have to use my imagination.

Ew.

Top Bottom