Community Event / Creation The Sidewinder Trophy

Results

When I set this race up, I wanted to have a race that made the field as even as possible. I picked the Sidewinder because it is cheap and can be really good fun to fly when engineered a little. There was no disappointment from you all at all. In fact, you came, you saw and you smashed stuff up.

The most amusing aspect for me was the Limbo bonus. It started with everyone being really gentle and steady and by the end it was full boost and the consequences. I loved it, I really did.

Now let`s get down to some details.

Unlimited Results

This was the most tightly contested board at the top, it really was! First and second were like a pair of yoyo`s.

The results ended up with the top 3 less than 30 seconds apart. We have also heard that the cleanup at Dav`s may take several weeks due to a large number of broken Sidewinders and bits lying around. Guess that’s my fault!

Alec Turner took first place after having to respond to Sir Boundness several times during this race. Sir Boundness took first place after having to respond to Alec Turner several times. (Do you see a pattern?) Eventually our Mr Turner pulled a truly tremendous sub 18 to take it though. In a last gasp late run we also had Caelum Incola pull a very nice time to take third and nearly upsetting the apple cart too. Nicely done sir!

So 1st Alec Turner Mr Brightsidey

2nd Sir Boundness This Side(y) up!

3rd Caelum Incola Piccolo

But seriously well done all in making a fine race of it, and you all score championship points too.
View attachment 392056
Regulation

In regulation our humble Cobra did us proud again. It is not that it is the best ship, it is the fact that our standard build ship just smiles and gets on with it.
In first came our resident race demon Shaye Blackwood with a time that frankly butchered the rest of us. Seriously impressive!
Alec Turner has held second most of the week with a truly excellent time, but in a late turn of events our very own Ozric matched Alec to also take second in a tie. Nice sir, nice!

So 1st Shaye Blackwood Rebel Rose

2nd Ozric Raid n Run

2nd Alec Turner Ask Again Later

The rest of you took to the Cobra and most managed to wrestle better times over the week as well. The 30 - 32 minute section is pretty damned full.

View attachment 392057

Finally, I would like to thank you all for supporting this race as it would be pointless without you. I would also like to say a big thanks to Commander Bruski who is not only the race manager for the 888 championships but has also created a fully working auto score board which has been tallying up and creating the results you have been seeing every day.

Hope to see you at the next race – Ring Tossers by MrIndigo in May

Commander Sulu

Buckyball Racing​
Well, the Triple Eight couldn’t have got off to a better start now could it? All down to the amazing @Fish172 ! Thanks Sulu! And hats off to ya!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Imagine after all the absolute madness this race involved managing to tie 😅

Thanks so much Sulu for organising this, it's been a fantastic race. It managed to incorporate so many different types of challenges in one race, without becoming overwhelming or overly frustrating! (aside from trying to find that bloody tunnel) Really well done.
And well done for all the people who took part and made it around, especially the two winners. Shaye that Regulation run is insane! Did you manage to save a jump on one of the 5 jump legs? Or are you just a flat 3 minutes faster than us :D

Wow, after discovering I could save a jump I figured someone would topple that Sidewinder time for sure! That was an epic back and forth with Sir Boundness and one I really enjoyed because this race was just so much damn fun! Perhaps like a few others, I started the week trying to fly under Dav's gantry AND fly cleanly out the other side. It was only after seeing some of the speeds people were getting that I realised the meta was: fit good shields, land, take off, back up about 2.5km, boost, boost again, pips to SYS and BRACE FOR IMPACT! I don't know what they make those lamp posts out of but they should make ships and SRVs out of the same stuff. Other challenging aspects of the race I really enjoyed were learning where the tunnels are, adapting planetary approach from high g to low g so as not to hit "too fast" at Dav's, and quickly figuring out where to land on Ruchbah 2 so as not to have an obscured jump on the route to Dav's.

And as for getting a dead heat for 2nd with Oz in regulation ... amazing! And of course massive respect to Shaye for that 1st place time, I confess I didn't even bother fighting back against that, just knew it was probably beyond my capability plus I was too busy fighting for first in unlimited.

Congratulations to all and massive thanks to Sulu for running such a magnificent first race!

P.S. my endorsement line is meant to be a cryptic crossword clue but I just realised I can’t count, there are 10 letters in "Sidewinder", not 7!

Last edited:
Today was not my day: 4 failed Cobra attempts, 5 failed Sideys. Mostly too fast for OC at Dav's, but there were a couple more ships sprinkled all over Ruchbah 2. Submitted my best Cobra run from yesterday, and here is the encounter with CMDR TobiasVonBrandt from my side:
View attachment 392028
Ah ha! I couldn't remember your forum/discord name to match up with CMDR name! :LOL:

My congratulations to the respective inhabitants of the podium spots in both classes. That was some impressive flying.

And I have to say, Mr. Sulu, that was a hell of a race you put together here.
It was a lot of fun, even just watching it from afar, some 2k+ ly out from my starting point in Suhte.
Would have loved to take part, but I realized a little too late that I need some money (and other stuff) to be able to take part without going bancrupt.
I sure hope I'll be back in time to take part in the next race, but as I intend to get one of the unlock requirements for Prof. Palin out of the way, it might get a little tight.

Thanks to sulu for hosting the race, fun and challenging as always. Congratulations to Alec for grinding out that Unlimited win among strong competition.

Video:
Source: https://youtu.be/D6C3b1N4e2g

Route: Saved one jump between Ruchbah and Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23 (Dav's Hope) by manually plotting two of the jumps while delicately managing the fuel levels on the very precise fuel gauge the ships come equipped with. No idea where the rest of the time came from. :unsure:
Distance:System:
Okinura
24,958618​
LHS 1805
18,660254​
LHS 115
15,646516​
LFT 1748
22,542711​
LFT 19
21,914629​
Wolf 10
18,496463​
Ruchbah
24,913346​
Hyades Sector XG-K b9-1
25,372017​
Madngernobo
26,308009​
Arietis Sector FH-U b3-5
23,568799​
Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23
20,416034​
Kongleri
18,269307​
Cail
24,944979​
43 A Persei
24,420111​
Wolf 186
20,079578​
Hyades Sector AC-K b9-7
18,061554​
Ququve
24,830008​
Wolf 1325
24,093669​
BD+21 652
19,217226​
Okinura

What a final day - wow!
I did totally not expect to be under the top 5 after the last day entries usually washing me back to the lower places I feel comfortable in :ROFLMAO:

And what a nice battle with you, (sir) Mr. Turner! Congratulation to your run - it feels much better to loose by seconds - not like in the regulation run where some (dont to blame them directly) using the secret wormhole generator build in the cobra to be several minutes faster o_O

For references here is my unlimited build https://edsy.org/s/vH3tRQB and my fastest run - some might misjudge the rolling at leaving the station as an misjudgement of the mailslot - it is ment to be a greating roll to all buggyball racers and race organicers out there!

Source: https://youtu.be/K4o_Tjp4DqY?si=IujIgozFRzTpS3vM

o7 CMDRs - see you in the next race hopefully!

Last edited:
Results

When I set this race up, I wanted to have a race that made the field as even as possible. I picked the Sidewinder because it is cheap and can be really good fun to fly when engineered a little. There was no disappointment from you all at all. In fact, you came, you saw and you smashed stuff up.

The most amusing aspect for me was the Limbo bonus. It started with everyone being really gentle and steady and by the end it was full boost and to hell with the consequences. I loved it, I really did.

Now let`s get down to some details.

Unlimited Results

This was the most tightly contested board at the top, it really was! First and second were like a pair of yoyo`s.

The results ended up with the top 3 less than 30 seconds apart. We have also heard that the cleanup at Dav`s may take several weeks due to a large number of broken Sidewinders and bits lying around. Guess that’s my fault!

Alec Turner took first place after having to respond to Sir Boundness several times during this race. Sir Boundness took first place after having to respond to Alec Turner several times. (Do you see a pattern?) Eventually our Mr Turner pulled a truly tremendous sub 18 to take it though. In a last gasp late run we also had Caelum Incola pull a very nice time to take third and nearly upsetting the apple cart too. Nicely done sir!

So 1st Alec Turner Mr Brightsidey

2nd Sir Boundness This Side(y) up!

3rd Caelum Incola Piccolo

But seriously well done all in making a fine race of it, and you all score championship points too.
View attachment 392056
Regulation

In regulation our humble Cobra did us proud again. It is not that it is the best ship, it is the fact that our standard build ship just smiles and gets on with it.
In first came our resident race demon Shaye Blackwood with a time that frankly butchered the rest of us. Seriously impressive!
Alec Turner has held second most of the week with a truly excellent time, but in a late turn of events our very own Ozric matched Alec to also take second in a tie. Nice sir, nice!

So 1st Shaye Blackwood Rebel Rose

2nd Ozric Raid n Run

2nd Alec Turner Ask Again Later

The rest of you took to the Cobra and most managed to wrestle better times over the week as well. The 30 - 32 minute section is pretty damned full.

View attachment 392057

Finally, I would like to thank you all for supporting this race as it would be pointless without you. I would also like to say a big thanks to Commander Bruski who is not only the race manager for the 888 championships but has also created a fully working auto score board which has been tallying up and creating the results you have been seeing every day.

Hope to see you at the next race – Ring Tossers by MrIndigo in May

Commander Sulu

Buckyball Racing​

Some close times there.

Thanks for hosting the race Sulu, forgot how much fun the Sidewinder can be.

Looking forward to the next race.

That was a fun race! Congrats to the peeps on the podiums, well done to all my fellow racers and a hearty thanks to Sulu for organising. And a wonderful write-up from @Leeya Geddy!

Can't wait for the next race, in the meantime I'm going to try out some of these new fsd's - I missed all the excitement when the first one came out.
Oh, and I put together a few of my crashes and explosions:

That was a fun race! Congrats to the peeps on the podiums, well done to all my fellow racers and a hearty thanks to Sulu for organising. And a wonderful write-up from @Leeya Geddy!

Can't wait for the next race, in the meantime I'm going to try out some of these new fsd's - I missed all the excitement when the first one came out.
Oh, and I put together a few of my crashes and explosions:
Yeah, landing on planets with a number higher than 0 before the dot isn't easy if you take your time. But if you are in a hurry, that turns into a completely different animal. Bigger, fiercer and more lethal.

Top Bottom