The Star Citizen Thread v 4

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There's a huge difference in what you get for your money though. In ED the higher pledges offered nothing in game - it was all write a book - name a star - name founders etc.

The best you got advantagewise was a Cobra - not a pre-nerf Python which would have offered an insurmountable combat advantage against a sidewinder.

In SC you can start day one with a fully kitted over powered LTI'd monster (and a hnager full of identical repolacements with a game bank account stuffed with real money bought currency) compared to someone with a basic Aurora and practically nothing else.

If that isn't the definition of pay to have an immediate and clear advantage over someone I don't know what is.

I could not agree more, and it is one of the things I hate with a vengeance about the way things are done in SC.
I am a loner in the ED universe, but I very often play in open because I feel we at least all started out basically the same and have worked our ways up. Some have much more money than I do and can afford a lot more, but I know they have had to spend more hours, or perhaps they did grind a lot more than I do. Nevertheless basically we are on equal footing, gameplay wise. We have the same opportunities.

I hate the idea that many players in SC just will start out the game with the best top of the line stuff without having to do anything more than dumping money on the project. It irritates me to no end and that is why I will not even consider joining the multiplayer universe of SC... ever.
I hope the single player part of the game will be substantial and open ended, because otherwise I won't even consider buying SC at all.

Last edited:
True - it's probably largely moot anyway.

The actual "PU" must be at least 2 possibly 3 years away. Lot of ground to cover...

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Lol - hands up who make an SC knock off in Amazon's free licensed Cryengine before SC comes out?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...w_free_highquality_game_engine_Lumberyard.php

Wait wha? That's based on Cryengine, comes with full AWS support and even includes VR libraries and I can download it today free and they don't charge to licence the engine, they just make cash from the AWS hosting. That sounds...quite good.

Sheesh come on RSI what are you doing peeing in the wind? Amazon have made an engine that does it all as one of their tax dodging R&D efforts :-D

True - it's probably largely moot anyway.

The actual "PU" must be at least 2 possibly 3 years away. Lot of ground to cover...

Lol - hands up who make an SC knock off in Amazon's free licensed Cryengine before SC comes out?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...w_free_highquality_game_engine_Lumberyard.php

Wow, I am stunned.
I had not read that yet.
That is an incredible offer by Amazon.
I can hardly believe it.

I disagree with you, someone in that position should have got out with a full refund WAY before this point. I'd also question someone logic based on the fact that probably EVERY single game in the history of mankind has ended up not being quite what was originally envisioned. Putting money into a game "vision" is daft. That's plain common sense imo.

Mind you if someone did a crowdfunding to bring the Xwing/TIE fighter games up to date I'd plough money into that! (probably already said that several times in these threads!)

I can understand people being upset by the changes, but I do not understand those still with money "invested" undermining the process, then again that's moot with the info Viajero gave me below. I'm under no illusion though that countless other businesses are run half(buttocked) liked SC. just look at the recent banking fiasco's. I'd imagine most "bosses" are winging it and spend as much time praying as they are dinging the secretary! ;)

That's true, different business model, but everyone giving CiG the cash KNOWS that fact.

All excellent points and I do agree, but most post I read are not really of people "concerned" IMO. It's far more bashing for bashing's sake. There are clearly those complaining and highlighting issues the right way, I am gratefull for those posts and used them to make a decision to only come in with a sale at a low price point and when I was still going to get both Sq42 and SC (which could change LOL!)

I do find this thread funny as I'm neither a SC/WC Chris Roberts fan or an ELITE, Frontier, Brabham fan. Both sides extremes are equally as bad as the other.

I agree, fanboyishness are never a good sign for objectivity. I have followed the SC project from the start, well almost start (2013). Comparing the two projects from CIG and FD clearly shows who are doing well regarding managing the project and who is not doing so well. Lets just leave it at that.

I got out with a full refund (thank you CIG for FINALLY comply to your own ToS), as I evaluated that the SC project was not on the right track and that CIG was not managing the backer funding as they should (no list needed we all know the history here).

However, I want future backer to know that they should be very careful and only spend an absolute minimum if they desperately want to get in.

Again, I really hope that SC and SQ42 will be released in a good and solid state, as I would love to play the game. Regarding CR and CIG my respect can be in a very tight spot.

I think it will be like the Elite release. At some point we get a basic version for 1.0. It still will lack some features, but it will get more and more features after the release like Elite. Good point here is we dont need to buy an addon like horizon for the missing features. Except of course for new chapters of the story.

Really? Because this is considering a scenario where they survive with ZERO income long enough to push a PU release. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad, but given that most people will already have paid for it and that word will get out that they've had to rush a feature-cut PU out the door because of financial worries, I think it's unrealistic to expect that it'll generate enough funds to keep them afloat for long enough to finish developing features they haven't already been able to implement by that point. That is, unless they split the PU content even further and charge people for those new features. And even then I doubt many people would be willing to pay cash up front anymore.

Really? Because this is considering a scenario where they survive with ZERO income long enough to push a PU release. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad, but given that most people will already have paid for it and that word will get out that they've had to rush a feature-cut PU out the door because of financial worries, I think it's unrealistic to expect that it'll generate enough funds to keep them afloat for long enough to finish developing features they haven't already been able to implement by that point. That is, unless they split the PU content even further and charge people for those new features. And even then I doubt many people would be willing to pay cash up front anymore.

What makes you think that they run into financial difficulties? Their funding seems quite stable for now.

What makes you think that they run into financial difficulties? Their funding seems quite stable for now.

If you read rest of the conversation you'll see that that post was made in response to a discussion about CIG's statements that they were capable of surviving "on zero income till release". If any company has zero income, they have financial worries. The post was made in the context of a theoretical scenario of what CIG would be capable of releasing in the event of suddenly hitting zero income.

As for the funding being stable, people are buying in now, but that's in large part because splitting out SQ42 has essentially forced peoples' hands on deciding whether to buy in or not as the value of the basic pledge is basically halved after this. Clearly, this is also not a sustainable monetization strategy.

The past few months have seen a surge in funding due to a flurry of concept sales, particularly of cheap LTI ships (tokens) and the publicity wave in the rush to the $100M mark. None of these are sustainable either.

Given that the first PU release is several years away, stable funding now may be irrelevant especially as funding levels are expected to dip after this unless they come up with more bogus milestones to sell the game on. SQ42 may generate some sales but they have to finish the game portion of it first. I can see several ways they can raise funding levels temporarily, but none of them would be particularly healthy for SC as a game.

Last edited:
jqUIFPG.png

I didn't know Moon Collider finished working with CIG?
So AI is has moved in-house as well?

Wow, I am stunned.
I had not read that yet.
That is an incredible offer by Amazon.
I can hardly believe it.

Well they are not doing this for "free" really - there's AWS baked in and the idea is that if you use their engine, you end up using AWS as well. Which is fine, depending on the pricing. You do get the source apparently though. Gonna dig into that and see how much it differs from CE source.

If you read rest of the conversation you'll see that that post was made in response to a discussion about CIG's statements that they were capable of surviving "on zero income till release". If any company has zero income, they have financial worries. The post was made in the context of a theoretical scenario of what CIG would be capable of releasing in the event of suddenly hitting zero income.

As for the funding being stable, people are buying in now, but that's in large part because splitting out SQ42 has essentially forced peoples' hands on deciding whether to buy in or not as the value of the basic pledge is basically halved after this. Clearly, this is also not a sustainable monetization strategy.

The past few months have seen a surge in funding due to a flurry of concept sales, particularly of cheap LTI ships (tokens) and the publicity wave in the rush to the $100M mark. None of these are sustainable either.

Given that the first PU release is several years away, stable funding now may be irrelevant especially as funding levels are expected to dip after this unless they come up with more bogus milestones to sell the game on. SQ42 may generate some sales but they have to finish the game portion of it first. I can see several ways they can raise funding levels temporarily, but none of them would be particularly healthy for SC as a game.

For the moment they were able to get $30-40M each year on average. It was $6-7M in 2012 (september - december), $30M in 2013, $30M in 2014, $40M in 2015, thus last year they raised the most. Surely we can expect that the funding might decrease at some point. However, they have already raised $3M this year without any concept sales.

Now their funding also depends on public reception of their releases. There were significant changes with the release of 2.0 and I think that most of the players are positively accepting these changes so this might also have positive effect on the funding raised.

Separation of SQ42/PU is not going to stop people from buying. Moreover, the separation of SQ42/PU can be considered as a sign of the approaching release.

Well they are not doing this for "free" really - there's AWS baked in and the idea is that if you use their engine, you end up using AWS as well. Which is fine, depending on the pricing. You do get the source apparently though. Gonna dig into that and see how much it differs from CE source.

If you use your own server tech you don't need to pay a single cent to Amazon.
You basically get a free refined CryEngine.

Of course not, they will continue selling ship after they launch the game, I am almost 100% sure of that one. Flip flop, flap flap = CIG

Old news, a lot of Devs and 3'rd party DEVs left the CIG building, you can make of it what you want.

Do you have any information to back your words except for your speculations?

yes history try it, its amazing what you can learn from it.

Then probably there are plenty of lessons, from which one might learn that it is not possible to be 100% sure in something unless there is solid evidence. However, in this particular case we have none. As such we can only speculate, and assume that each variant is possible we cannot exclude anything.

Last edited:
Is anyone playing SC alpha PtU, or are we only talking about the company again? I want screen shots of a trolley dolley ducking behind a drinkomatic before shooting a bird of paradise with a grenade launcher...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom