The Star Citizen Thread v 4

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Because the earth had lower gravity when dinosaurs weren't extinct?

Elephants live on the low gravity savana?

I think you might find this interesting, as it describes the effects of the grafity on the height:
http://www.livescience.com/33082-would-humans-born-on-mars-grow-taller-than-earthlings-.html

According to NASA, most astronauts grow about 2 inches while they're in space because the reduced gravity causes the fluid between vertebrae to expand. They lose the height within 10 days of returning to Earth's crushing gravity. Because of the growth, NASA uses space suits that have extra room to accommodate the additional height.

Last edited:
I think you might find this interesting, as it describes the effects of the grafity on the height

Reminds me of "Dinosaurs and the Gravity Problem": It is a curious fact that the antediluvian world somehow supported 160 kg (350 pounds US) flying creatures, while today's gravity only permits flying creatures weighing at max about 13 kg (30 pounds US). Even at 11 kg (25 pounds US), the great hunting eagles bred by Central Asians had great difficulty getting off the ground.

Makes you wonder if Earth had a different gravity back then to what it is today! But far i read, there's theories, a half-gravity Earth would mean, bigger and taller animals and plant-life, so i guess that fits with the Vanduul reality.

Vanduul aren't humans are they? That's my point. Saying vanduul are taller than humans because of low gravity doesn't make any sense. They are taller because the vanduul species are naturally taller.

It might be a combination of factors that affect the height, which might include the physiology and gravity, and the effects of the gravity on the physiology. But this is what we cannot know for sure as we have no real examples to make a realistic comparison.

As for healthy, man, we are not even supposed to be walking on 2 feet, it's quite un-healthy :p

That seems to be a weird stretch in attempt to justify it

Low Gravity is unhealthy
So Walking on 2 feet is unhealthy

One evolved naturally, the other not.

It was just a simple question, prompted by a small clip in one behind the scenes video, not need to jump through so many hoops to explain it

Last edited:

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
Reminds me of "Dinosaurs and the Gravity Problem": It is a curious fact that the antediluvian world somehow supported 160 kg (350 pounds US) flying creatures, while today's gravity only permits flying creatures weighing at max about 13 kg (30 pounds US). Even at 11 kg (25 pounds US), the great hunting eagles bred by Central Asians had great difficulty getting off the ground.

Makes you wonder if Earth had a different gravity back then to what it is today! But far i read, there's theories, a half-gravity Earth would mean, bigger and taller animals and plant-life, so i guess that fits with the Vanduul reality.

Gravity would have been similar. The mass and diameter of the earth would not have changed much. Density of the atmosphere though changes quite a lot (this will affect aerodynamics), as does oxygen content (which affects the amount of energy you can get from muscles). Dense, high oxygen atmosphere in the Carboniferous period allowed the Meganeura to exist. A dragonfly with a wingspan of over 2 feet. These days they would not be able to breath let alone fly.

You may all be over thinking this. CIG have said for a long time that they follow the 'rule of cool'. The Vanduul look like that because the designer though it was cool. They live in a lower gravity because that's cool too.

Last edited:
It might be a combination of factors that affect the height, which might include the physiology and gravity, and the effects of the gravity on the physiology. But this is what we cannot know for sure as we have no real examples to make a realistic comparison.
It is poor logic to assume vanduuls are taller than humans because they live on a low gravity world when other species that live on earth are taller than humans. Can't make it much simpler than that.

It is poor logic to assume vanduuls are taller than humans because they live on a low gravity world when other species that live on earth are taller than humans. Can't make it much simpler than that.

Other species have different physiology, e.g. elephants that you have used as an example have four legs.

I googled a few of pages on Dinosaurs and the Gravity problem, and they seem to all related to Young earth theory, a stance reinforced by you choice of using antediluvian, suggesting it is time to bail out on this topic

Last edited:
Other species have different physiology, e.g. elephants that you have used as an example have four legs.

So why are deer shorter than elephants? They have four legs too. Is it the hooves? Do you really want to continue with this specious argument or just accept that assuming aliens taller than humans come from low gravity worlds is a mistake?

So why are deer shorter than elephants? They have four legs too. Is it the hooves? Do you really want to continue with this specious argument or just accept that assuming aliens taller than humans come from low gravity worlds is a mistake?

Because they also have different physiology. These are different species.

It is also about evolution. If humans travel to a different habitable planet, with different gravity, are they going to be the same as on the Earth? Or the evolution is going to change their physiology to adapt better to the new conditions? It is not going to have an immediate effect, it might take thousands of years.

Because they also have different physiology. These are different species.

It is also about evolution. If humans travel to a different habitable planet, with different gravity, are they going to be the same as on the Earth? Or the evolution is going to change their physiology to adapt better to the new conditions? It is not going to have an immediate effect, it might take thousands of years.

Ok, might be making some progress here. So you are saying vandull are taller because they live on a low gravity world but elephants are taller than humans because of different physiology. Why isn't it the different vanduul physiology that makes them taller, why do they need lower gravity?

Ok, might be making some progress here. So you are saying vandull are taller because they live on a low gravity world but elephants are taller than humans because of different physiology. Why isn't it the different vanduul physiology that makes them taller, why do they need lower gravity?

The gravity might be affecting the physiology. And everything that lives on Vanduul world might be taller than everything that live on Earth. And it might be a long-term evolution that has brought the species populating the planet to that state.

You may all be over thinking this. CIG have said for a long time that they follow the 'rule of cool'. The Vanduul look like that because the designer though it was cool. They live in a lower gravity because that's cool too.

It may be really that, it's the game, they do put effort on lore and such, so the game's Universe does make sense, but at the end, it will have to make sense with the Game's reality, not with reality, specially when on reality we also don't know for sure how would that play out, so there's room for speculate!

I googled a few of pages on Dinosaurs and the Gravity problem, and they seem to all related to Young earth theory, a stance reinforced by you choice of using antediluvian, suggesting it is time to bail out on this topic
I was also searching around, on the theories of how would gravity of a planet affect it's plant and wild-life. But of course in here it's the game's reality and i wouldn't think they designed this alien race to be "scientifically" correct.

The gravity might be affecting the physiology. And everything that lives on Vanduul world might be taller than everything that live on Earth. And it might be a long-term evolution that has brought the species populating the planet to that state.

I it is from adaption, wouldn't they lose muscle mass as they need less to move about, less overall resistance faced.
They still look heavy set, with a great deal of (unneeded) muscle mass

It might do but you said their tallness indicated they came from a low gravity world. Don't make assumptions...now isn't Derek smart great!

It might do but you said their tallness indicated they came from a low gravity world. Don't make assumptions...now isn't Derek smart great!

Hmm... and what exactly it has to do with Derek Smart?

I provided a possible explanation, and it seems that you have just agreed that it might do. So what was the purpose of your replies to me then? It really seems like the only purpose was to argue instead of having a constructive discussion by providing your own opinion with the possibility to refine the opinion that I have expressed.

Last edited:
It may be really that, it's the game, they do put effort on lore and such, so the game's Universe does make sense, but at the end, it will have to make sense with the Game's reality, not with reality, specially when on reality we also don't know for sure how would that play out, so there's room for speculate!

I was also searching around, on the theories of how would gravity of a planet affect it's plant and wild-life. But of course in here it's the game's reality and i wouldn't think they designed this alien race to be "scientifically" correct.

Is not just science, it is thematic

If the Vanduul are Low G, despite their apparent bulk, Humans might have the upper hand in hand to hand combat
If they are Regular G but have low G on ships to move about more then they will need to be conditioning to off set this and gain less than Humans conditioning in regular gravity.

Vanduul might not end up as the menace they are portrayed as when engaged in 1 G - which is not a criticism, it is a thought train

Mu77ley

Volunteer Moderator

Confuscius says, man who stands in hole should dig no further...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom