The Star Citizen Thread v 4

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
How quaint that a tax authority helps you minimise your tax burden.

Attracts further investment into the country, we've been doing the same here on tax policies to attract external companies to settle here, only that we call it "Golden Visas".

Last edited:
The 2.1 Update had the biggest impact on stabilization of the 2.0 release when it comes to major issues. Performance, being tied to netcode here, is still for me the biggest annoying issue, but that one ain't going to get any bandage fix until they're done with the netcode serialization.

So, when was 2.0 and 2.1 released? 2.0 I think happened sometime in November, but I'm not sure.

So, when was 2.0 and 2.1 released? 2.0 I think happened sometime in November, but I'm not sure.
2.0 released (outside PTU that started the month before) on December, then 2.1 on January. The stability of the original build was Godawful, we came from 0-5/10 minutes of game sessions, to sessions that can last hours since then.

Last edited:
They really need to concentrate on delivering - not faff about as they have done so for the last few years.

Well that's what the "normal" devs usually do but not the CIG.Soon as they confirm that this is how the game should look&work in the "near" future the hype is going to be definitely over and we all know that CR&CIG must keep the HYPE train on the tracks for as long as possible no matter what,that's their main priority....

Last edited:
The elephant in the room seems to be that they can't get Cryengine to do what they want and they can't get good networking staff to sort stuff out. Lord knows what position they'd be in had Cryengine not shed staff that CIG could, and did go on to hire.

I was speaking to a dev about it (some time ago) and I told him they were using 32 not 64bit and that they had only just decided to switch. His response was that "What? That's a decision a degree level student would have known to make."

They do seem to have some really great staff, especially the art and design ones, but as the saying goes they're 'Lions led by donkeys.'

Last edited:
2.0 released (outside PTU that started the month before) on December, then 2.1 on January. The stability of the original build was Godawful, we came from 0-5/10 minutes of game sessions, to sessions that can last hours since then.
I see, thanks. About four months passed between the 'PU' demo and the first, barely playable version, and then another month until the game was acceptably stable (if you ignore the issue of spaceship hulls being merely a suggestion). Just have it in mind when you rate the progress on the basis of test footage.

Last edited:
The elephant in the room seems to be that they can't get Cryengine to do what they want and they can't get good networking staff to sort stuff out. Lord knows what position they'd be in had Cryengine not shed staff that CIG could, and did go on to hire.

I was speaking to a dev about it (some time ago) and I told him they were using 32 not 64bit and that they had only just decided to switch. His response was that "What? That's a decision a degree level student would have known to make."

They do seem to have some really great staff, especially the art and design ones, but as the saying goes they're 'Lions led by donkeys.'

I was asking the very same valid question about the choice and overall networking problems in the Cry Engine few years ago....almost get put on fire and burn alive on the SC forum...and as I remember here MR. Novak ensure me that this is just a minor problem and that CIG experts will fix and even make it way better in just a few month period...fast forward in 2016.......

Last edited:

Since when was the 64bit a sudden decision? 64bit had been in development for a long time, it arrived at once last year. Star Citizen was since as far i can remember, a 64bit Game.

Actually Ben Parry was days ago on the RSI forum, talking about Cryengine and hinted at some of the frustrations with it, being things that supposedly were working and when they dug on it there's a comment on the code saying "This has been broken for ages!", i'll see if i get the link...

I see, thanks. About four months passed between the 'PU' demo and the first, barely playable version, and then another month until the game was acceptably stable (if you ignore the issue of spaceship hulls being merely a suggestion). Just have it in mind when you rate the progress on the basis of test footage.
It's hard to judge on progress, that you play, and the actual development progress. Some will say 2.4 is "OMG Clothes Shopping!", but on the backend, they have Engine rewrites, the IS 2.0 that have been ongoing for so long alread, being if a structural engine refactor and are finally being implemented into the game, that allows them to get rid of CE's legacy code that they were using, that was a place-holder, though we don't play that progress, it's still there.

I was asking the very same valid question about the choice and overall networking problems in the Cry Engine few years ago....almost get put on fire and burn alive on the SC forum...and as I remember here MR. Novak ensure me that this is just a minor problem and that CIG experts will fix and even make it way better for few month period...fast forward in 2016.......
You may be forgetting a thing, as SQ42 was and IS a priority to CIG, even with a PU team finally releasing PU-specific features, the netcode wouldn't be the priority to touch back then, but yes, when they actually started to focus on PU Development, as it is NOW.

Last edited:
You may be forgetting a thing, as SQ42 was and IS a priority to CIG, even with a PU team finally releasing PU-specific features, the netcode wouldn't be the priority to touch back then, but yes, when they actually started to focus on PU Development, as it is NOW.

Lies again, they even announce this:"RSI announce improved netcode for Star Marine, Star Citizen's FPS component"that was almost 2 years ago don't want to even mention all of the CR "bulls" talks how they are fixing and making improved netcode&overall MP experience for the SC....Where Is It????And where is the Star Marine???I mean at least they could do something better from the original CE netcode???Why can we not see anything after all this years???
link for my claims:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/rsi-announce-improved-netcode-for-star-marine-star-citizens-fps-component-and-other-progress

Last edited:
Lies again, they even announce this:"RSI announce improved netcode for Star Marine, Star Citizen's FPS component"that was almost 2 years ago don't want to even mention all of the CR "bulls" talks how they are fixing and making improved netcode&overall MP experience for the SC....Where Is It????And where is the Star Marine???I mean at least they could do something better form the original CE netcode???Why can we not see anything after all this years???

Netcode to the extent of Arena Commander or Star Marine is a thing, the netcode of one actual MMO is a whole different level. The MMO requires this whole zoning system, the seamless transactions in-between instances, several servers streaming and interacting to each other (like the nested systems).... Improving their netcode for SM matches, or even Arena Commander (that had one player limit increase), alone they have a lot of PU-specific development to do on the matter.´~

They are getting rid of CryEngine, not rid of it as of some "divorce", but the work they have done and are doing on refactoring is literately replacing it by now.

Last edited:
It's hard to judge on progress, that you play, and the actual development progress. Some will say 2.4 is "OMG Clothes Shopping!", but on the backend, they have Engine rewrites, the IS 2.0 that have been ongoing for so long alread, being if a structural engine refactor and are finally being implemented into the game, that allows them to get rid of CE's legacy code that they were using, that was a place-holder, though we don't play that progress, it's still there.
Did they finish those rewrites, or are they work in progress? Just because CIG started the rewrite doesn't mean they can finish it, due to some unforseen interactions with already existing code. What if implementation of Item System 2.0 won't be compatible with already existing assets and all ships will have to be redone to some degree? I agree it's just a speculation, but unless code modifications are finished and their effect apparent, those claims can't be verified.

Lies again, they even announce this:"RSI announce improved netcode for Star Marine, Star Citizen's FPS component"that was almost 2 years ago don't want to even mention all of the CR "bulls" talks how they are fixing and making improved netcode&overall MP experience for the SC....Where Is It????And where is the Star Marine???I mean at least they could do something better from the original CE netcode???Why can we not see anything after all this years???
link for my claims:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/rsi-announce-improved-netcode-for-star-marine-star-citizens-fps-component-and-other-progress

And that is ignoring the fact that AC was delayed for 6 months in order from them to redo the netcode.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13432-Letter-From-The-Chairman-On-Dogfighting

Unfortunately the server backend technology will not be ready for prime time for a couple more months.
So ya they have focused on the netcode multiple times and failed hard each and ever time. And they still can't handle the number of players the base cryengine netcode can handle.

So rather than force the team to crunch through the holidays chasing something ‘good enough,’ I am going to make the tough choice to delay the dogfighting module for a couple of months to allow us to take our time and deliver something special.
I think he means broken.

Because Dogfighting is the first module that will involve significant gameplay, it has to be good – I don’t feel that we will get a pass just because it is pre-pre alpha.
And yet when it was released he hid behind the name pre-alpha, and even now its still pre-alpha, except they have added two other alpha's before it so now they really are releasing pre-pre-pre-alphas.

We had considered just going single player and having a few combat scenarios available for the first stage of the Dogfighting module, but ultimately we decided this will not be beneficial as even the single player part of Star Citizen, Squadron 42, is built on the multiplayer backbone and is intended to have cooperative play out of the box. And even in this scenario with AI only we would be creating a lot of throw away content as we had always intended for the dogfighting module to be more about head to head than player vs AI.

Funny part is that they ended up having to release it as a single player (and stayed that way for a month) because of how broken the netcode was (still is after multiple reworks).

The correct answer is that it was not the netcode that was holding it back, CIG really had nothing at this time and had to come up with an excuse to not release.

Last edited:
Since when was the 64bit a sudden decision? 64bit had been in development for a long time, it arrived at once last year. Star Citizen was since as far i can remember, a 64bit Game.

Don't confuse 64bit executable with 32 bit (single precision) vs. 64bit (double precision) floating point calculations. Video below at 6:47.

[video=youtube_share;HKcVI1rNz44]https://youtu.be/HKcVI1rNz44[/video]

Did they finish those rewrites, or are they work in progress? Just because CIG started the rewrite doesn't mean they can finish it, due to some unforseen interactions with already existing code. What if implementation of Item System 2.0 won't be compatible with already existing assets and all ships will have to be redone to some degree? I agree it's just a speculation, but unless code modifications are finished and their effect apparent, those claims can't be verified.

It's a partial implementation on 2.4, witch allows as you may have seem the customization, the different interactions with things (The F key is still around, will be removed but not on 2.4 it seems), is all part of that rewrite, before 2.4, we already started to see in-game the Component System, on the ships, that is also part of it. So the implementation of the IS 2.0 on the game is ongoing on this, and future updates.

Netcode to the extent of Arena Commander or Star Marine is a thing, the netcode of one actual MMO is a whole different level. The MMO requires this whole zoning system, the seamless transactions in-between instances, several servers streaming and interacting to each other (like the nested systems).... Improving their netcode for SM matches, or even Arena Commander (that had one player limit increase), alone they have a lot of PU-specific development to do on the matter.´~

They are getting rid of CryEngine, not rid of if, but the work they have done and are doing on refactoring is literately replacing it by now.

Ahh now you playing that game right???We both know exactly what I was aiming for.....Multiplayer experience in the Arena commander or PU is the virtually the same as it was from the first DFM(almost) it feels broken,not stable with low number of players in the same instance...and of course I am not talking about the Arcorp and possibility to put 50+ player in same instance where they can only chat,dance&make stupid moves.....that was always possible in CE look for the game Entropia(CE2)

Last edited:
Ahh now you playing that game right???We both know exactly what I was aiming about.....Multiplayer experience in the Arena commander or PU is the virtually the same as it was from the first DFM(almost) it feels broken,not stable with low number of players in the same instance...and of course I am not talking about the Arcorp and possibility to put 50+ player in same instance where they can only chat,dance&make stupid moves.....that was always possible in CE look for the game Entropia(CE2)

Oh Entropia on that aspect was... hmmm. There's a quite bigger MMO, like Archage. I still have my card :D

What i meant is what they need to do for the PU, and AC/SM are 2 different worlds, though it is clear the netcode is one of the biggest, if not the biggest challange they have to tackle on, as the game they want to create, depends on that to work as intended.

Don't confuse 64bit executable with 32 bit (single precision) vs. 64bit (double precision) floating point calculations. Video below at 6:47.
Oh my bad.... .edit. Wwait a minute!

Look at the question CR is answering, about the work CIG was taking on with the Double-Precision to be shared back with Crytek. :|

Last edited:
Oh Entropia on that aspect was... hmmm. There's a quite bigger MMO, like Archage. I still have my card :D

What i meant is what they need to do for the PU, and AC/SM are 2 different worlds, though it is clear the netcode is one of the biggest, if not the biggest challange they have to tackle on, as the game they want to create, depends on that to work as intended.

I mention Entropia just because it was done years ago(2008 game was converted in the CE2)and seems that some things now CIG copying from that game....if you check that arcorp and virtual shops it looks and feels mostly the same as game play in Entropia...but we talking about the real-deal the instances where the space-fight should be happening and that's where the problem starts...They simply can not passed the numbers of 24 players per instance where all of them can shoot,move and fire and all the rest of the complex calculations(shield,engine..that need to use netcode for sending the info to the server) to work properly and without the problems....To be honest I doubt they can even do with 16 players at this point.....

Last edited:
Cryengine was 32 bit, so from my little knowledge it involved a massive amount of code changes, which had the potential to have other large knock on effects. It's curious that in the video linked above from May 2014 he's a bit non committal about it, but then in this link he's more sure that it had to be done. Same with this article. Either way it apparently took them 10 months to do the changes.

I mention Entropia just because it was done years ago(2008 game was converted in the CE2)and seems that some things now CIG copying from that game....if you check that arcorp it looks and feels mostly the same as game play in Entropia...but we talking about the real-deal the instances where the space-fight should be happening and that's where the problem starts...They simply can not passed the numbers of 24 players per instance where all of them can shoot,move and fire and all the rest of the complex calculations to work properly and without the problems....To be honest I doubt they can even do with 16 players at this point.....
It's more complex than a game like that, so it's more costy to achieve the same numbers. They could easily improve the capacity and performance of the instances, if they allowed more hardware into the instances, but the point is make them perform as best as possible inside what they want it to perform on. On the last PTU we've had a bug that spawned Hundreds of AI Friendly and Enemy ships on the same place, numbers around 500 of them, fighting each other and the players, and the servers incredibly were processing all of that! So instead of applying bandages it's going through a structural refactor, and it *really* needs it, like stop locking the instance performance to our client frame-rate, most annoying issue of the whole Alpha really for me.

Cryengine was 32 bit, so from my little knowledge it involved a massive amount of code changes, which had the potential to have other large knock on effects. It's curious that in the video linked above from May 2014 he's a bit non committal about it, but then in this link he's more sure that it had to be done. Same with this article. Either way it apparently took them 10 months to do the changes.
On the video you linked, the Double-Precision was something CIG was already upon, because to create the large-scale maps and so on, what was always my knowledge was, 64bit had a function to perform in there.
Of course back then was all 32bit, but if you search about it, you find a lot of people around Crytek asking them to implement Double Precision on the Engine, as CIG was doing it.

Last edited:
It's more complex than a game like that, so it's more costy to achieve the same numbers. They could easily improve the capacity and performance of the instances, if they allowed more hardware into the instances, but the point is make them perform as best as possible inside what they want it to perform on. On the last PTU we've had a bug that spawned Hundreds of AI Friendly and Enemy ships on the same place, numbers around 500 of them, fighting each other and the players, and the servers incredibly were processing all of that! So instead of applying bandages it's going through a structural refactor, and it *really* needs it, like stop locking the instance performance to our client frame-rate, most annoying issue of the whole Alpha really for me.
Again there is not such a big deal(not with today's hardware) to have hundreds of AI ships we all know that real problem with netcoding is when you,me and 40 others players playing action games and need to share same instance and send&receive data to the server from our PC-s and connection we are bound on it.....

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom