The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
If they do that, the shares will tank overnight as they have no product or asset to speak of, and their current project structure doesnt pass even a cursory inspection. Any potential serious share holder will shy away from that, just from the high risk nature of the project. Private equity is where it's at, it would be a really stupid move to go public..

No serious investor would touch it with a barge pole, the most prolific backers on the other hand are true believers. If CIG can earn $10m+ in a week selling jpegs it's pretty likely they can manage to shift a significant number of shares to the very same people in an IPO. They may need to bring on a UK based brokerage firm to handle international investments but I can totally see something like this playing out.

Anyway take it with a pinch of salt, it's pure speculation.

Last edited:
You know what Star Citizen reminds me of ?
You know how trading chart looks like for a commodity/stock that's in phase of constant growth with nothing to support that growth apart from hype (bubble) ?
Yeah, that. And we all know how those bubbles end. They pop hard. Then all hell breaks loose, people start suing, asking for their money back, etc.
Star Citizen will go down, and I don't just mean literally, but also in books, as the first gaming bubble that popped.
People are invested in it with thousands of $, unless they get their value back, or can't sell their packages, it's gonna be rough.

Last edited:
I do not understand why it would be bad for the game. It would be bad for CR maybe, depending on his legal situation with the investors, and how much backer money was funnelled back to them. There is no way to know really and any statement beyond that would be speculation (unless coming from someone like Bootcha but who would still be "in" the deal)..

It's part of the image sold to the backers, and which they've bought whole-heartedly: Chris has built this entire narrative about how dem nasty ebil corporations with their boards and stockholders and other stupid things cramp the style of the creative artiste — this time, he'll be free of all those wicked influences and do it right. Investors have become the incarnation of outside influences ruining The Dream™, because they'd demand all those horrible things that EA and Blizztivision do.

It's basically your standard slippery-slope argument: if investors, then instant-EA, and EA is the only devil out there that could possibly compete with DS in how heinous and heretical it is.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? The reason I bring it up is because CR and Ortwin are surrounded by famous and reputable people. Which wouldn't be the case if they were bad characters.

That is not relevant. There are so many cases of well-connected and supposedly respectable people doing really bad stuff that you shouldn't take this as too much of a pointer.

That's the thing I met these people. So anybody else is much more in a bubble. They are very nice and passionate. I saw their actions in person. Sleeping less to meet every one of your community members is a sacrifice many dev's don't do for example.

Additionally if they were bad people they wouldn't care that much for backers in the event or avoid the tough questions which many did ask. They on the other hand never doubled down on whatever was raised.

Not disagreeing with the fact that they were nice people, but there's a bit of a "boiled frog" problem.

I once had a flatmate who tried killing herself (having to drag someone over a balcony 5 floors up wasn't a great way to start a Saturday morning). It took me very much by surprise. However, looking back on the situation, there were a lot of signs that things were deteriorating. Oddly enough it also including lying about financial issues which ended up coming back to bite me very hard. I didn't notice what would have become clear to someone looking in.

Being on the inside of a slowly deteriorating situation is often not obvious, and people on the outside saying "hold on, this is looking a bit suspicious" may well have a point.

Just my 2 cents on this aspect.

FWIW ex-flatmate is now fine, before anyone asks!

Not sure, but as CIG has undertaken some financial deals that will involve repaying significant sums, and as Sandi Gardner apparently says the launch party for S42 will be December 2019, I think we have a real possibility we might get that game in about a year, if CIG is able to stretch its finances that far.

Yeah, because Sandi is such a reliable source even more reliable than the Encyclopaedia Britannica. It won't release in 2015; 2016;2017; 2018 2019.
The risk for a release is just too high, if they release SQ42 and the first reviews come in, assuming that SQ42 is nothing more than an interactive movie interrupted by some lame game elements in it, it might be an eye opener for even some of the most ardent members of the Westboro Church of gimme yo money.

Last edited:
Every scam has to end at some point and we might be looking at the exit strategy. Maybe with another push to extract a few more millions next year before finally closing shop and moving to a non-extraditing country. ;)

The Cayman Islands, is an overseas territory of the UK, therefore the Extradition Treaty Between the US Government and the Government of the UK applies. Just sayin'.

That is not relevant. There are so many cases of well-connected and supposedly respectable people doing really bad stuff that you shouldn't take this as too much of a pointer.

Not disagreeing with the fact that they were nice people, but there's a bit of a "boiled frog" problem.

I once had a flatmate who tried killing herself (having to drag someone over a balcony 5 floors up wasn't a great way to start a Saturday morning). It took me very much by surprise. However, looking back on the situation, there were a lot of signs that things were deteriorating. Oddly enough it also including lying about financial issues which ended up coming back to bite me very hard. I didn't notice what would have become clear to someone looking in.

Being on the inside of a slowly deteriorating situation is often not obvious, and people on the outside saying "hold on, this is looking a bit suspicious" may well have a point.

Just my 2 cents on this aspect.

FWIW ex-flatmate is now fine, before anyone asks!

While this observation is correct the other way around is also valid IMO. It mostly depends on your stance to anything. As you mention a flatmate trying to commit suicide I had a neighbor who was a paranoid schizophrenic. I did know him but I didnt really consider him a "friend". 2 years into living next door he obviously decided to stop taking his pills which included drastic behavior changes and an outward aggression. All very sudden and not understandable. The thing is...people on the outside didnt notice a thing about him because he tried to "blend in" most of the time. It was usually when I met him alone or during nighttime that his condition would flare. I called the police on him several times because he went on a rampage screaming and breaking things just next door at 3 am. My landlord disregarded the issue because he told me "I was speaking to him and he seemed fine to me". Me on the other hand had a valid base to compare from so I knew something was off but I didnt know what.

So on the morning when I found a bloody knife on my doorstep (his aggression usually seemed to be directed at me for some reason) I made a formal complaint and he was carried away in an ambulance the same day. His apartment was a battle field and he obviously cut himself mumbling to himself when the police officers opened his door with a masters key. I dont know what would ve happened, if he would ve killed himself under halicunations or worse, attacked anybody else.

The point is that it took somebody on the inside to recognize somethings wrong in that case but maybe thats because he wasnt a friend of mine and after a while, when he became annoying and kept waking me up in the middle of the night I grew a bit frustrated with him or rather....less friendly.

Now CiG seems to try its best to appear healthy and strong...at the top of its game and the natural charisma CRoberts has supports him in that. He certainly wont have a problem convincing people who dont know the details or chose to willingly believe him. Change your stance to skeptical tho and suddenly you notice things standing at odds. Mostly CiG and the fanboys claims/praise and reality as shown in various life streams. this goes for a lot of things. Dont take the funding tracker for granted but question the source and suddenly perspective changes. By now we know that the second number....amount of accounts is not presenting unique backer accounts but includes free-fly accounts, multiple accounts and does NOT include terminated accounts so it always going up and is a bloated number, not representing the SC community. YET you have people to this day claiming that SC has a community of 2+ million people disregarding facts deciding to continue living the dream. Compare Star Citizens development cycle to other games on the market and you notice drastic differences in progression and other things. Even if you adjust your expectations to allow for more time something doesnt feel right. One of the most drummed up reasons for delays and long development times was according to CRoberts the goal to "get it right on the first try" or to "make it perfect". The timespans involved pans out....just not the results.

After 7 years of active development and observing this project it rather comes across like CiG simply stumbles along from month to month. While in previous years they could bridge half a year with a single video people have become restless many expecting some kind of result for this amount of money and time. And suddenly CiG is forced to increase the frequency with which to publish marketing gigs. Gonna have to keep the hype up and the nerves calm.

In Star Citizen it really comes down to how you are standing toward it. If you "want" to believe the promises and feel the urge to "protect" the project against so called haters your resistance level to obvious red flags will be very high. You will disregard major events as "unimportant". The same goes for the other side of course. Depending on past experiences you will "want" the project to fail and you will blow up minor events to appear critical. People on the outside dont have the facts to participate in any meaningful way but it seems that the overall public reaction to Star Citizen is negative by now judging the amount of ridicule and surprise at how "little" there is after this kind of development duration and cost. More and more articles bring Star Citizen to the publics attention in a negative way (many people dont know it even today but read about it getting the "worst business model" etc).

Now sinking several hundreds or even thousand dollars into this project over the years will change your perception also. It doesnt make you an automatic "crazy" or "fanatic" but your view will be biased based on the desire to see a valid return value for your investment.

So its a bit more complex then being on the "inside" or "outside" or if you are an invested backer or just a guest to the whole thing. "Having been with SC from the start" is neither a requirement nor a step-up for somebodies opinion. Lots of factors are involved. Me....I m going the "easy" route and judge somebodies involvement or qualification to comment on the quality of his/her posts. Common sense, logical thinking, accepting actual events, translated experience and a normed standard across all similar projects to compare from.

Some of you may recall JMP470 talking about the blockade at jumptown drug lab in v9 (post 9462) and how it spurred me on to give it a go (my post 9506) and how I found an on going event.

I was delighted to see that the event made it into Around The Verse (the first one I have watched) and how 'The blessed Chris' himself taked about it and showed some footage. time stamp 00:40 https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16905-Around-The-Verse.

Great feed back from the devs.

I jumped into it again last night for about 2 hours. A big org had 20+ ships v a smaller org and a few of us solo girls and guys. I the end they chased us away after being forced to retreat and re organise. But we gave nearly as good as we got. I am not sure if the EMP weapon is fair but it surprised the big org guys. Really friendly in game chat as well, no trash talking ETC. Watching about 10 fighters swarm and destroy a big ship was really good.

Last edited:
Meanwhile...to get the thread away from current discussions of a much more serious nature...

In the PTU...it's nice starting off with a CroBear sized bank account...missions are (mostly) working and the payouts have been increased as well as the availabilty...massively so. Trade relations have been reopened between Crusader and Hurston and the various moons thereof...better profit margins for the simple trader and cargo hauler like me.

749dUgF.png

I did some horse trading in the new and very Orange Freelancer Max...filled to the brim with cargo and headed to where profits lie...

r77x6g0.png

VojWxQq.png

XuL00pN.png

On the way...I stupidly answered my phone when on final approach to the dark side of a moon and bent the Maximus Orangeness a bit...one of the winglets I had never really liked kinda fell off in fright after merely brushing the scenery at a great rate of knots.

GjxcknJ.png

All in all, a largely uneventful and enjoyably quiet session...utterly boring of course since I didn't shoot anything, didn't salute or dance... only saw the odd, mostly solitary Commando hovering above a port or land base in their respective, but similarly small and sometimes eerily similar Orange chariots...I saw no evidence of the Whale factory displaying ships the size of planetoids that cost a similar amount to the national debt of some 3rd world countries... barely any saluting or annoying tomfoolery...except someone testing new guns on his ship accidentally shot his mate who seemed to be looking down the barrel for some unknown reason [rolleyes]

All proper and utterly subjective fun in the PTU...even if I wasn't doing fun stuff for most. ;)

It seems (for the most part) that I'm going to like the 3.4 patch when it hits live...hopefully without a few new annoying bugs.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Interesting stream, thanks for the share

I love how matteroffactly the guy in the cap (he a lawyer?) hammers in that this kind of transactions can only mean one thing and one thing only, that CIG is out of cash. Cant say it is that obvious to me, but kuddos for the boldness to put it out there as articulately.

May we all pray for the souls of the hereby excomulgated and declared heretic Guard Frequency guys, so they can withstand the upcoming onslaught of enraged fans.

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Funny watching people fall over themselves to declare everything is fine...

Some posters have been very quick to start rewriting history and downright posting false "facts" about CR stance on publishers/investors.

I love how matteroffactly the guy in the cap (he a lawyer?) hammers in that this kind of transactions can only mean one thing and one thing only, that CIG is out of cash. Cant say it is that obvious to me, but kuddos for the boldness to put it out there as articulately.

May we all pray for the souls of the hereby excomulgated and declared heretic Guard Frequency guys, so they can withstand the upcoming onslaught of enraged fans.

Aye I was listening to him with interest when he cited what happened and what it means in layman terms. I was perking up when he said that CiG with all the things they already did is now running out of options in case money gets tight again.

"2019 will be CiGs last year" has been called out in various forms over the years so this one isnt particularly different but it might be true in the end....I mean ONE of all those predictions will eventually be correct, right? Now lets see what CiG can managed in the remaining time and what kind of game it ll be in the end.

Some posters have been very quick to start rewriting history and downright posting false "facts" about CR stance on publishers/investors.

Yes, the "everybody knew this" refrain always tends to pop up in these situations. It has a definite call to authority vibe.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom