The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
You keep completely missing what is causing drifting, in my opinion. You can have a ship that hits 500 and isn't drifty, you can have a ship that hits 30 and is drifty. Driftiness isn't defined by the speed and speed only.

Absolutely, But, my 150kts airplane doesn't do 300m/s, so I'm not sure how it would feel there :cool:

Absolutely, But, my 150kts airplane doesn't do 300m/s, so I'm not sure how it would feel there :cool:
Well, the driftiness is caused by two things - your speed (forward motion vector) and the resistance (backward motion vector), both of which are applied when you swerve in smaller amounts. And the resistance is a sum of two things, first your backwards thrusters (which are not on planes, of course) and then wind resistance (which, conversely, aren't in the space).
So basically if you hit 500 forward speed, but have huge retrothrusters, you can negate your forward speed within so tiny amount of time that you won't drift. If you hit 30 in space, but have no retrothrusters, you will drift forward until you turn around at least a bit (91+ degrees turn) and minimize your forward vector.
And if you are in a plane with no retrothrusters and have to rely purely on wind resistance, you will drift for a bit - the more you speed up, the more, because maximum wind resistance is fairly constant.

Source: https://youtu.be/pbfbGzEbqb0

Looks like he is utilizing his VR headset nicely. But, it is no VR game, that's for sure. A little drifty, but what do you expect? As some points he is hitting 300 m/s, so I would think drifty.

Anyone here fly at 300 m/s? Do you drift, or handle like rails?

Looks a bit like playing Colin McRae Rally but in 6D... Amused by the "Activate Windows" in the screen cap... can afford a killer rig, but not an OS license? :p

“Driftiness”. As if SC had anything remotely resembling a dynamics simulation to a level that would warrant using that word. It's just deliberate sluggishness because they feel the need to fiddle with the parameters to make it appear like they're actually creating a flight model. :D

Used to enjoy drifiting like that on an arcade game ported to the Dreamcast, Crazy Taxi was the name.

Hey hey hey it's time for more cer-razy music and more cer-razy flying in Ker-razy STAAAAAAR CIIITITEEEEN (Racing)

Boom tzzz Boom tzzz Boom tzzz..

Go ahead and pick a ship package and driv-aar:

You picked Billy Joe "hey hey hey let's goo...."

Boom tzzz Boom tzzz Boom tzzz..

Let's go..are ya ready?

Insert some coins to continue..

Now pick a ship package

flying da "Idris!"

Let's go are ya ready?

Insert MANY more coins to continue...

Take me to KFC(tm)!

Insert more coins to continue..

Alpha content, insert more coins to continue

Hoverbike flips out after dismount. :D
That's emergent gameplay right there. You'll have bands of Cowcitizens riding out to rope and tame them wild dragonflies. Then they'll bring them into rodeos and have competitions to stay on for the longest. The possibilities never end with the BDSSE.

Can't get enough of this series. He shows some good & bad points. I completely forgot Elite stations greet you with the letters of your name. What do you think about his take on space legs?

Star Citizen 4 Elite Dangerous Cmdrs PART 2

I think he's creating a false parity by not mentioning the pre-alpha sketchiness TBH. Should also touch on real money ship costs, but hasn't really to date.

Nice vids, like his style generally, but feels like he's deliberately presenting a honey-coated version of SC to me.

Last edited:
I think he creating a false parity by not mentioning the pre-alpha sketchiness TBH. Should also touch on real money ship costs, but hasn't really to date.

Nice vids, like his style generally, but feels like he's deliberately presenting a honey-coated version of SC to me.

Exactly my take on it as well. He probably wants to sound overall optimistic but lacks honesty

What do you think about his take on space legs?

Main reason why I want Elite Feet. While I do play efficiently, it takes back seat to fun and immersion. I mean ever since the FSS was introduced, I've been having a blast exploring in Elite: Dangerous using a hefty dose of parallax discovery, using the FSS primarily to decide if a system is worth sticking around to explore in the first place, to provide hints on where I need to look, and to sometimes complete the system. It's not efficient, but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

To take missions, I'd much prefer want to walk into a barely lit bar, meet a contact to get the information I need to smuggle guns to brave freedom fighters resisting the cruel Galactic Federation, and then land in an isolated location to deliver the cargo, as the noble resistance hurriedly unloads my delivery as my ship sits on the ground. Maybe I might be betrayed by them. Maybe the Feds are aware of their operations, and we're caught in a sting operation. Maybe nothing happens at all. It would at least be more interesting than than the carefully researched, sanitized, and essentially risk-free "smuggling" missions we currently have in ED.

Not to mention exploring my ships would've been a lot of fun.

This was what I wanted Star Citizen for in the first place. I knew the gameplay I wanted, in the game universe I preferred, was very much a long-term goal. Star Citizen was supposed to help scratch that itch until Elite got around to it. Here we are, seven years later, and Elite seems to be much closer to fulfiling that goal than Star Citizen will ever be, because I sincerely doubt that SC will ever be in a state where I'd want to play it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom