The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Err, you know episodic games have been a thing forvyears, right?

They do work for very serious, well organized developers like the former Telltale Games, or Dontnod Entertainment. Valve already falls out of this category (Half Life Ep.3 ?...), and CiG cannot even dream about touching it. Lets be realistic they barely can lace their own shoes.

Last edited:
28 episodes though?

Episode 1: Arrival on TCS Concordia Godwin-Austen — a 1h45m elaborately orchestrated docking sequence where they player can move about their cabin and look at mocapped deckhands mopping the floor before finally being allowed to walk through the customs gate. Ends on a cliff-hanger when the baggage scanner shows red and starts bleating…

Episode 2 : Meeting the Old Man — a 4h epic wherein you are put in the customs' office cell and perp-sweated over the loudspeakers as to why there was a highly suspicious Polish Vandul dagger in your hand luggage. Comes to a shocking end when Old Man interrupts the proceedings to chastise the younglings for not recognising the hand-me-down from arch-admiral Dad Whatshisface, or for recognising the name Whatshisface Jr. on the passenger manifest. Finally, his rugged frame silhouetted in the light of the doorway… to be continued.

Episode 3: Actually meeting the Old Man — a massively mocapped pokemon snap on-rails tour of the flight deck, where the player is chewed out for not storing that thing in a museum, where it belongs, and also meeting all the dead meat that will all have to die by the end of the series. Never-seen-before vfx will be employed in the culminating scene where the classic TV-show “gaussian girl” effect has been transplanted to real-time videogame graphics as you get a glimpse of Pusher…

etc.

…granted, they're talking about 28 chapters, not episodes, and they should all be ready at the same time presumably to fit into the same episode. Still, that's a lot of chapters for something as insipid as a CRobber-written space copypasta.

Last edited:
28 episodes though?

Issues I see with 28 episodes are much like ED have faced (and also struggled with):

* What influence do players have? can they change the story in e2 by actions in e1? I guess not, or the number of combinations after 28 episodes is ginormous.
* Not everyone plays at the same pace - some will be ready for e2 after a day, others a week - and the next episode may be months/years away

Plus ofc the people who will chose to buy it when it's 'done', i.e. once e28 ships / is discounted. Who could have 'quite a wait' ;)

Issues I see with 28 episodes are much like ED have faced (and also struggled with):

* What influence do players have? can they change the story in e2 by actions in e1? I guess not, or the number of combinations after 28 episodes is ginormous.
* Not everyone plays at the same pace - some will be ready for e2 after a day, others a week - and the next episode may be months/years away

Plus ofc the people who will chose to buy it when it's 'done', i.e. once e28 ships / is discounted. Who could have 'quite a wait' ;)

TV series often have far more. This is just like that, except you have to shoot folk and such to progress to the next scene. Mass Effect 1-3 could easily have been split in 28 episodes. It would have blown, but still.

Last edited:
By the time if Sqn 42 actually appears...I'm sure practically everyone even vaguely interested will be off playing something else...more than likely Cyberpunk 2077 or RDR2 (since it'll be released on PC by then).

I don't think anyone would disagree that the whole Sqn 42 thing will fail miserably as a marketing venture?...I mean...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would disagree that the whole Sqn 42 thing will fail miserably as a marketing venture?...I mean...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out.

I'd disagree there Mole!

Myself, and the other backers that I personally know, absolutely look forward to SQ42 as the main attraction. We all remember Wing Commander. We all remember the movie.

We want to see just how much cheese Genuine Roberts can stuff into a 2020's FMV and keep a straight face.

I'd disagree there Mole!

Myself, and the other backers that I personally know, absolutely look forward to SQ42 as the main attraction. We all remember Wing Commander. We all remember the movie.

We want to see just how much cheese Genuine Roberts can stuff into a 2020's FMV and keep a straight face.

I remember them too...as much as I only ever played WC3 and hated it. I waited around for Freelancer too until Jumpgate gave me the fix I had been waiting for.

This time around, I didn't even add Sqn 42 to my pledge..the very thought of seeing Genuine Roberts name on the box art would make me compulsively set fire to it...in a digital sense of course.

The days of me shooting TV's and random game disks that annoyed me with a 12 bore are sadly over [sad]

As a complete aside...I hate this new Logitech G300 mouse so much I'm already reaching for the gun cabinet... whatever possessed me to purchase an ambidextrous mouse with all the buttons in completely the wrong place in the first instance...I'll never know. The people that design those things must have fingers like an Austrian concert pianist...

Last edited:

My experience in MMOs is limited, but it seems to me like Star Trek Online... three or four times in a year they release a new story mission, made with current or some new assets from the game, and a handful of these misions conforms a story arc.

I'm talking about 30 min. of playtime, less if you are a veteran player. Including cinematics.

Last edited:
I remember them too...as much as I only ever played WC3 and hated it. I waited around for Freelancer too until Jumpgate gave me the fix I had been waiting for.

I actually backed SC in the hopes it would be the "new Jumpgate". Man that game delivered on so many fronts. There's still room for a modern take on it since SC will get nowhere close...

AS this SQ42 thing is going to be 28 chapters long. Does anyone know the timescale for the release of each chapter?

(Waves to DARKFYRE99 and Barking_Mad from adjacent fairway)

Seems feasible.

Next question.

Does it go to beta when
A: Chapter 1 ready?

B: Some or all the of chapters are ready?

C: It won't make it to beta?

EDIT: Who would want to play an episodic game anyway?

28 episodes though?

Episode /= Chapters

Sqn42 Episode one is the thing due to be in beta 2020
Episode one is made up of 28 Chapters

Episodes 2 and 3 are the down the road "mission disks" and may be "set in the past" as the time line for Episode one is at the end of it, you muster out and begin civilian life in the SC PU

Last edited:
My experience in MMOs is limited, but it seems to me like Star Trek Online... three or four times in a year they release a new story mission, made with current or some new assets from the game, and a handful of these misions conforms a story arc.

I'm talking about 30 min. of playtime, less if you are a veteran player. Including cinematics.

Don't you mean a new set of lockboxes and purchasable item plus a new story mission or two if your lucky:)

Episode /= Chapters

Episodes 2 and 3 are the down the road "mission disks" and may be "set in the past" as the time line for Episode one is at the end of it, you muster out and begin civilian life in the SC PU

It sounds amazing. And i bet the plot is amazing as well! I bet the old man dies, but only after you have earned his respect, and of course, you will also earn the respect of other noted NPCs such as that guy from the 5th Element and Chris' wife's NPC as well.

I wonder which character is going to be the invevitable mole/betrayer who sold humanity out to the aliens.

Never been done before plot devices right there!

Last edited:
By the time if Sqn 42 actually appears...I'm sure practically everyone even vaguely interested will be off playing something else...more than likely Cyberpunk 2077 or RDR2 (since it'll be released on PC by then).

I expect both RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077 to be available before 2021... which is an ETA I still consider to be wildly optimistic, given CI(not)G's track record to date.

It sounds amazing. And i bet the plot is amazing as well! I bet the old man dies, but only after you have earned his respect, and of course, you will also earn the respect of other noted NPCs such as that guy from the 5th Element and Chris' wife's NPC as well.

I wonder which character is going to be the invevitable mole/betrayer who sold humanity out to the aliens.

Never been done before plot devices right there!

Only clarifying the terminology so we are all talking about the same thing as opposed to the 2020 beta being episode 1 of 28

Episode /= Chapters

I dont know if I can believe it see....getting out all 28 chapters will take CiG easily 2 years....if all of them are episode 1 that would mean that CiG makes no money off of them because backers who bought the SQ42 package (most of them) are entitled to episode 1 so CiG would produce and work on something for X years that everybody already has paid for = no money.

Its rather CiG playing peoples common sense again.

"Oh, we can see how you got that wrong but what we actually meant by "episode 1" is......"

God knows they butchered enough terms in the past and are using others in a completely wrong context so yeah...I think what Scam Roberts is going to do is to provide chapter 1 for free to anybody who got the SQ42 package then charge for any of the following chapters. It would just be the dirty and greedy lil play I ve come to expect from those people by now.

:lol: what? 28 chapters? does CR even know what chapters mean? I'm pretty sure most literature don't even have that many chapters in the stories. did they really say 28 chapters? not 28 missions? how many missions would a chapter have?

:lol: what? 28 chapters? does CR even know what chapters mean? I'm pretty sure most literature don't even have that many chapters in the stories. did they really say 28 chapters? not 28 missions? how many missions would a chapter have?

See... Chris Roberts had recently read the Princess Bride. The original by S. Morgenstern, not the abridged version that's in most book stores. And, have been inspired by a chapter that described each and every one of Princess Buttercup's outfits, in exquisite fidelitous detail, as she prepared for a trip, Robberts simply had to go one better and devote entire chapters on describing a single mop in one of the maintenance closets aboard an Idris.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom