The Star Citizen Thread v9

CPU core usage for me is pretty balanced....

https://i.imgur.com/YsWfrpK.png

Yup - but just look at that RAM load. As for your bandwidth useage - if playing SC is the only thing you've got going on - they have serious issues.

I just did a quick test on the closest rig.

sctm2.png

Last edited:
Oh that would explain it - your bandwidth is at more "sensible" levels.

They are still ridiculous though, and this will not scale up well.

And I'm a pew pew pew guy, but I've never done much combat in SC.

They have been working on ESP and there are changes in the latest PTU patch. But holy hell is combat not fun. That, I think, is their serious issue. At least for me.

Sure, griefing a Starfarer is easy enough, because it is so big and slow. But if I come up against an NPC M50, forget it, I'm leaving. Even if the NPC's are bugged and don't move they are hard as hell to hit.

If I understand the latest RtV correctly - they are going to finish Stanton sometime well before they consider adding jump points. There will be no jump points this year. Maybe not in 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 - as so many things depend on the Vision and the teams velocity.

Yet, they still have the biggest playspace of any game.

Ever.

There is probably more and I'm not all the way through yet - but I'm not fully paying attention and enjoying a particularly fine Rioja.

Since people worry about money so much.

More like why are you worried what anyone else thinks about whether or not you buy a chariot? Do it or don't. No one cares except Chris Roberts (and anyone else who is personally invested in the success of the game).

But this is probably the wrong place to offer up the admission that you were thinking about buying one, if you hoped for a supportive virtual group hug and people assuring you that you'll be respected and envied if you do.

Why not go full Legatus? As long as you put in 80k hours it's the exact same value for money. Think of all those ships you could be walking around. When they're all finished.

More like why are you worried what anyone else thinks about whether or not you buy a chariot? Do it or don't. No one cares except Chris Roberts (and anyone else who is personally invested in the success of the game).

But this is probably the wrong place to offer up the admission that you were thinking about buying one, if you hoped for a supportive virtual group hug and people assuring you that you'll be respected and envied if you do.

Why not go full Legatus? As long as you put in 80k hours it's the exact same value for money. Think of all those ships you could be walking around. When they're all finished.

So I cannot come to an online forum, labeled Star Citizen and ask about a ship?

oh I’m sorry I didn’t bash the game. Pathetic.

Nobody is bashing the game. It's kind of hard to bash a game that, after 7 years of active development, hundreds of development and advertising videos, dozens of support companies set up for, multiple live events, magic Germans and even the support of the most fashionable handbags on the planet - still isn't a game.

If I understand the latest RtV correctly - they are going to finish Stanton sometime well before they consider adding jump points. There will be no jump points this year. Maybe not in 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 - as so many things depend on the Vision and the teams velocity.

They aren't even scheduled to finish Stanton this year. September is Hurston, December is Arccrop. That leaves Microtech, the ice planet. And no, no jump point planed for this year. Or planned at all on the road map.

That said, if Hurston is in with its four moons, that is a huge play area.

So I cannot come to an online forum, labeled Star Citizen and ask about a ship?

I think the 600i is a pretty cool ship, like you I have enough disposable income not to worry about how much it is to support the game.

I would recommend getting into a community where you can use it.

I was one of the nerds in this clip: https://clips.twitch.tv/ModernFaithfulSwanKAPOW

Any of the "spacebros" on twitch are very friendly. Specifically thefew or mitachi

Add me in game, same name in SC and on these forums.

Hell, add me in elite too!

They aren't even scheduled to finish Stanton this year. September is Hurston, December is Arccrop. That leaves Microtech, the ice planet. And no, no jump point planed for this year. Or planned at all on the road map.

That said, if Hurston is in with its four moons, that is a huge play area.

Going off CIGs track record though with sticking to their plans, there is a big IF in all of that.

I think your comment highlights one of the main differences between ED and SC though. In SC the focus is on legs, while in ED its on the ships. In ED a planet and a few moons adds nothing to the play area, its insignificant. In SC, the addition of a planet and a few moons is major in terms of play area.

Partially because a new planet and moons would double or more than double the existing play area, but also from the legs perspective its massive.

Still, the addition of play area means little if it doesn't add anything else to do in those areas. One of the criticisms against ED is that its all the same no matter where you go, same applies to SC here unless there is some unique content.

Going off CIGs track record though with sticking to their plans, there is a big IF in all of that.

100% agree, but at least this year, they have been doing 1/2 decent.

I think your comment highlights one of the main differences between ED and SC though. In SC the focus is on legs, while in ED its on the ships. In ED a planet and a few moons adds nothing to the play area, its insignificant. In SC, the addition of a planet and a few moons is major in terms of play area.

Partially because a new planet and moons would double or more than double the existing play area, but also from the legs perspective its massive.

Still, the addition of play area means little if it doesn't add anything else to do in those areas. One of the criticisms against ED is that its all the same no matter where you go, same applies to SC here unless there is some unique content.

at this risk of getting busted for going off topic again....

i played ED first for hours and hours. and i never thought "space legs" where worth doing. after playing SC, i love space legs. the only way i can think to put it perspective is to compare it to GTA. would GTA be anywhere near as much fun if you, as a player, where stuck in a car, motorcycle, or plane and couldnt run around.

I remember Genuine Roberts proudly saying that one crater on a moon could contain the entirety of Skyrim.

That's fair enough, area-wise. I just wish they'd get the gameplay content of even one of Skyrim's dungeons into the entirety of Star Citizen.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

I think there is indeed zero difference in the basic principle. Being there, is being there, weather on foot, SRV or a low altitude flying ship.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Agree, and I think it is the (slightly more) ethical way to go.

Until recently CIG would never admit that a key element was going to bust a calendar (or very late or even after the fact, and when unavoidable due to PR becoming unsustainable). This allowed CIG to continually hype stuff and embed a constant inmminency ring to it that obfuscated any realistic timelines; likely leading to more funds than it should have.

Now on the other hand they have decided to reign in (just a bit) that imminency hype by virtue of the roadmap. Thanks to it people have a bit more specific and realistic an idea of when key features could eventually be released... and it is clear many of those will not be with us any time soon. The (relatively speaking) more realistic roadmap is no doubt a move in the right direction in terms of respect for backers and transparency, but it has a price to pay for it: It will probably not bring as much funding as the previous opaque practice. What should bring more funds is actual delivered content with reasonable quality.

edit: oh? https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8wo34l/つ_つ_gib_roadmap_36_update_つ_つ/e1xp8fd/

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that the FOIP webcam stuff was going to do full headtracking, gimbal aiming etc?

Absolutely not Zetta. FOIP was intended to realise a new hardware market for the Roberts Empire. Just imagine a special Star Citizen webcam to go with your special Star Citizen HOTAS and your special Star Citizen graphics card and your special Star Citizen SSD. It was about as successful as their other hardware partnerships :D

I'll have to look back and find that particular video - but their claims were urm, sky-high at best.

at this risk of getting busted for going off topic again....

i played ED first for hours and hours. and i never thought "space legs" where worth doing. after playing SC, i love space legs. the only way i can think to put it perspective is to compare it to GTA. would GTA be anywhere near as much fun if you, as a player, where stuck in a car, motorcycle, or plane and couldnt run around.

Yeah, i think CIG have taken some steps in the right direction in terms of openness and honesty.

I always wanted space legs in ED, but i'm willing to wait for it because there are many other things i want first.

CIG put space legs in straight away, but that makes sense, its a FPS shooter engine, everything they needed was already there... until CR decided it didn't meet his exacting standards and they refactored the hell out of it :p

Back
Top Bottom