The Star Citizen Thread v9

I don't believe that Chris Roberts set out to scam anybody. I truly don't. However, I do believe that his vision far outstripped his ability but his ego simply will not allow him to admit it. So, he continues to sell the vision. Not because he wants to rip people off but because he's incapable of admitting that he can't deliver what was promised.

The game as it was initially described will never be released. A game may or may not be released, but the game will never see the light of day.

I paid £45 for SC because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. What I have now, 2 years after I bought it and 5 years into the project is comparable to what any other studio would put out in a year and a half, maybe two years.

It's not going to happen. It's just not. Anybody that still believes that it is, is deluding themselves.

All just my opinion of course but I just say what I see.

Same feeling here. Thank you for writing better than I can.

I do not think CR started out to scam anyone either. But I do believe, based on the development history to date, that CR is fully aware he can not deliver all that has been promised and the level of fidelity and quality that has been promised. Not coming square clean about it to the backers (which are the primary source of his funding, based primarily on trust) and continue pre-selling unreleased stuff in the hundreds and thousands of dollars price is just not only ridiculously unethical to a level that far surpasses the "evil publishers" behaviour but, if enough prove of that awareness existed, a reasonable case for fraud could probably be established.

If he's is aware that he can't deliver the promised games and still continues to promise that he will deliver, it could qualify as intent to defraud.

Legal definition of fraud:
  • (1) a false statement of a material fact,
  • (2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue,
  • (3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim,
  • (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and
  • (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.

Regarding (5): The false statement must cause the victim some injury that leaves her/him in a worse position than she/he was in before the fraud. Monetary loss does count here.

I do not think CR started out to scam anyone either. But I do believe, based on the development history to date, that CR is fully aware he can not deliver all that has been promised and the level of fidelity and quality that has been promised. Not coming square clean about it to the backers (which are the primary source of his funding, based primarily on trust) and continue pre-selling unreleased stuff in the hundreds and thousands of dollars price is just not only ridiculously unethical to a level that far surpasses the "evil publishers" behaviour but, if enough prove of that awareness existed, a reasonable case for fraud could probably be established.

You're far more generous in your interpretation that I feel I can be. I don't think CRobber set out to commit fraud, but his level of competence and self-awareness makes it impossible for him not to. Granted, this absolves him from fraud because it require a level of intent that CRobber is simply not capable of producing — he's simply too clueless and self-absorbed to realise that's he's unable to do what he suggests, and thus the intent is always to actually do it.

After all, this is a man who has tried to do the same two things over and over again since the late '80:s; who last successfully participated in one of those in 1996; and whose incompetence in doing the other got him informally blacklisted from his dream industry just over a decade later. Awareness of his inability to do what he wants is not one of Chris' defining character traits.

Leonard Frenchs Readout on the Lawsuit.

[video=youtube_share;ZgZTmvB3buQ]https://youtu.be/ZgZTmvB3buQ[/video]

Also love this day and night cycle over Jumptown due to the recent influx of lucrative drug trade. Pretty sure we will get more Advocacy attention in the area after the rise of the drug trade which CIG also noted as noticed.

[video=youtube_share;LRb3G5aLjDM]https://youtu.be/LRb3G5aLjDM[/video]

You should avoid posting click bait here. Anyone who is interested has already read the pacer notes which clearly state the MtD with right to final appeal has been granted against the specific complaint regarding section 2.4 of the contract. The one which relates to not promoting a competing engine.

The overall case has not been dismissed and discovery is in progress. I'm unsure if a defendant can be found in contempt of court if they resist or refuse discovery as per the court's direction?

Waitwut?

What is going on in the 'Verse?

Some time ago he started one of his streams by thanking his SC patreons for helping him fix his car. Was surprised by it, and it didn't make me consider him to be very unbiased. Seemed like the dude was struggling...

I don't believe that Chris Roberts set out to scam anybody. I truly don't. However, I do believe that his vision far outstripped his ability but his ego simply will not allow him to admit it.

I agree with the first bit, disagree with the second. There is no 'vision' beyond looking at actual games/movies and saying "yes, I want that too!". That is not what having a vision means, IMHO.

you don't know what you are talking about.
please explain me how a client can take track of all players around it without a loooot of lag.

Govny. You and Snarf seem to be discussing 50 players +

Last year (the instance was capped at 24 players) comments here were saying that 24 players would never happen and that in reality 8-12 players was the maximum that SC would run at. They were probably also saying that people who though it could ' did not know what they were talking about'

This year they have a 50 player cap, who knows what they will have next year ETC.

I do not know technically how many they can have without unreasonable lag, But the theory is that $210 million, hard work, Blind Culling and Object Container Streaming (videos are available explaining those things) will enable it. I doubt that snarf can explain it briefly on a forum so have a look for the video's (here is one but it is long and dull by the look of the first 2 mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0YYKIjEC0E)

Personally the only time I get a lot of lag is at Loreville and Levski where I can often see other players almost teleporting 10 meters. I am guessing that that is because they have too many NPC's and other objects so BC and OCS still need some work. For some reason at Port 0 in the station and in flight lag is not a problem and I have been there with 30+ other players in ships, some report 50 players is common and playable.

There has been a definite improvement in FPS with the latest patches, in space I am getting 40-80 FPS (average about 55). In Assassins Creed Odyssey I get about 35FPS although that is fairy constant without the same dips as SC

Im not sure if it matters, but my ping time is 11ms, download 41Mbps upload 4.2 Mbps. I have an SSD,16GB of DDR4 @3200MHz

Last edited:
If only you had read the previous 2 pages....

A lawyer who begs for money on YouTube..... When will this madness end?

I notice my lawyer buys a new car every year.

I first noticed this when I paid my bill and she turned up in a brand new BMW 6 series a week later.

I don't think she has a patreon page...

Last edited:
<snip> I am guessing that that is because they have too many NPC's and other objects so BC and OCS still need some work.

Too many NPC's doing what exactly? Standing on chairs or forever looking at posters on walls? Apart from the ones walking around in circles they appear to be turned off. There is supposed to be a 10:1 ratio isn't there? All with this fantastic state of the art A.I. that is so good you won't be able to who is a player and what isn't. You going to believe that too, or is it just good old Chris dreaming again?

Too many NPC's doing what exactly? Standing on chairs or forever looking at posters on walls? Apart from the ones walking around in circles they appear to be turned off. There is supposed to be a 10:1 ratio isn't there? All with this fantastic state of the art A.I. that is so good you won't be able to who is a player and what isn't. You going to believe that too, or is it just good old Chris dreaming again?

You can 100% tell who the NPC's are in the stations within about 1 secound, they have got there work cut out there, I'm unsure if they will be able to manage it especially with FOIP interaction. Amusingly you can dress up and pretend to be an NPC and mess with people reasonably well.

In ships I can see it would be easier to achieve not knowing who was a player/NPC, cut out the silly pirate voices but be a good first step.

In reply to your four questions.

1&2. Just being there and moving around may be causing LAG, The pop up is pretty bad sometimes, If I turn around quickly they appear in mid-air and fall to the floor which is why I think they are a problem, same with seats that appear as I walk towards them at Loreville.
3. 10-1 not sure I will have to look that up but it sounds about right.
4. I do not believe it now! I just have an open mind to it and am happy to see how it develops. (only been playing the tech demo/game for a month) Could be Chris dreaming, time will tell.

Last edited:

You just don't understand Personal Wealth Management.

You can 100% tell who the NPC's are in the stations within about 1 secound, they have got there work cut out there, I'm unsure if they will be able to manage it especially with FOIP interaction. Amusingly you can dress up and pretend to be an NPC and mess with people reasonably well.

In ships I can see it would be easier to achieve not knowing who was a player/NPC, cut out the silly pirate voices but be a good first step.

[Insert SquarepantBob_imagination.gif]
[Insert ZeldaCDI_tee-heeing_Link.gif]

Last edited:
You just don't understand Personal Wealth Management.

LOL. On the subject of wealth management, aren't all these NPC's going to be running the SC economy?

The NPC's are my favourite thing in SC. All that stuff about them having their own backstory, being indistinguishable from players. Will they get fed up being part of SC, take a load of ships and head off to the Milky Way to join ED? :)

I don't believe that Chris Roberts set out to scam anybody. I truly don't. However, I do believe that his vision far outstripped his ability but his ego simply will not allow him to admit it. So, he continues to sell the vision. Not because he wants to rip people off but because he's incapable of admitting that he can't deliver what was promised.
Chris Roberts knows that he is a computer illiterate, he is pretending and lying, since he entered the industry and does so to become rich. Also he scammed various people including Kevin Costner.

All evidence from the present and past is refuting your assumption.

Last edited:
Leonard Frenchs Readout on the Lawsuit.
You earned your place on the ignore list well.

I originally excepted your account from the other shillitzen bots (who were just filling the thread with marketing boilerplate). But coming late to the party, not reading anything in this thread just dropping video links of your favorite shills in a drive-by manner puts you right there.

No need to reply, I won't read it.

Ugh what? The guys a lawyer on youtube who does legal videos in general not SC. Don't understand how his read out and opinion is outrigh supportive without legal objectivity.

You should avoid posting click bait here. Anyone who is interested has already read the pacer notes which clearly state the MtD with right to final appeal has been granted against the specific complaint regarding section 2.4 of the contract. The one which relates to not promoting a competing engine.

The overall case has not been dismissed and discovery is in progress. I'm unsure if a defendant can be found in contempt of court if they resist or refuse discovery as per the court's direction?

Yeah, you don't need law degree but just a bit of common sense to understand that lawsuit continues, I guess those youtube "lawyers" are going just for views and some Patron money here...

Top Bottom