The Star Citizen Thread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
wel i pledged alot at sc, and i often see hey your crazy ya can get everythingh for free ingame...

yeah i can spend many hours grinding my ass of to get it.. or yust work abit more and buy it, wich then also backs the gametype im loving and make the game hopefully more awesome wich looks in my eyes a win/win situation

for what i read a Connie takes around 60 hours to earn ingame, wich is ofcourse diff tosay as the gamedoesn't excsit, but i can work 2x a 7 hour shifts and buy it then, wich in my eyes is way better then spending 60 hours onit

ppl spending mony on a game they need for somwthingh else is indeed crazy, but im Lucky enough to be able to afford it ;)

thats yust my 2 cents..

also ppl have diff playstyle's and diff lifestyle's,

Last edited:
wel i pledged alot at sc, and i often see hey your crazy ya can get everythingh for free ingame...

yeah i can spend many hours grinding my ass of to get it.. or yust work abit more and buy it, wich then also backs the gametype im loving and make the game hopefully more awesome wich looks in my eyes a win/win situation

it depends on the grind. E.g. in War Thunder grind is actually pretty mild, I don't ever notice at all: I just play games, earn some XPs and open new planes. I don't get less excitement just because I cannot fly on ALL ships whenever I want.

So I'm really weary about that people are trying to achieve with the spaceship acquisition in SC...it's really bizarre to me.

it depends on the grind. E.g. in War Thunder grind is actually pretty mild, I don't ever notice at all: I just play games, earn some XPs and open new planes. I don't get less excitement just because I cannot fly on ALL ships whenever I want.

So I'm really weary about that people are trying to achieve with the spaceship acquisition in SC...it's really bizarre to me.

its simple, they would want those ships anyway and now they can support and improve the game by buying it now alrdy and it has unlocked cool extra stuff

so win/win situation..

and there stil enough todo and much more ships wil be there at release, the idris wont be the largest ship out there

earning rl cash is more effectifly forme anyway then grinding ingame.

14 hours to get a ship + boosting the game or 60 hour to farm it ingame and not boosting the game.. and makes my boss hpy i take the add shifts ;o

I'm hoping the gameplay to get the ships won't be grinding, if it is then they've failed to make a good game.
I don't understand why people keep playing when it turns to work.
(actually, I do, it's compulsive behaviour, but it still seems strange when you think about it)

I'm hoping the gameplay to get the ships won't be grinding, if it is then they've failed to make a good game.
I don't understand why people keep playing when it turns to work.
(actually, I do, it's compulsive behaviour, but it still seems strange when you think about it)

yeah alot get that feeling with eve ;o i had that while we where at 0.0 and had to runn loads of control towers to keep the space etc

my plan is to have 3 spacegames to play. alrdy got eve, then elite and sc when there done

Main points of Star Citizen

So I kind of interested in Star Citizen, being a fan of the Wing Commander series and Privateer (never played Freelancer though), but even though I've read their blog from time to time and read the FAQ on Wikia I still can't create a summary of the features. Naturally that lead me to ask you, since I think quite a few of you are heavily invested in SC as well as ED :). For example, how is the galaxy modelled (scale, number of systems and scale)? how do players travel between systems? How is the flight modell implemented? Trade? Player impact on the galaxy? NPCs and missions? Factions?

Thanks!

So I kind of interested in Star Citizen, being a fan of the Wing Commander series and Privateer (never played Freelancer though), but even though I've read their blog from time to time and read the FAQ on Wikia I still can't create a summary of the features. Naturally that lead me to ask you, since I think quite a few of you are heavily invested in SC as well as ED :). For example, how is the galaxy modelled (scale, number of systems and scale)? how do players travel between systems? How is the flight modell implemented? Trade? Player impact on the galaxy? NPCs and missions? Factions?

Thanks!

Blimey that's alot of questions to pack in ;) I think most of what you are looking for can be found here in the forums and in particular the DDF archives. For ex:

Trade: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6299
Travel: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5443
Galaxy: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6298
NPCs: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7494
Factions: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8021

There are some useful stickys on the forums too re. FAQs and whatnot. If in doubt I hope you find forum members directly a good source of info too. Hope that helps :)

Blimey that's alot of questions to pack in ;) I think most of what you are looking for can be found here in the forums and in particular the DDF archives. For ex:

Trade: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6299
Travel: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5443
Galaxy: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6298
NPCs: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7494
Factions: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8021

There are some useful stickys on the forums too re. FAQs and whatnot. If in doubt I hope you find forum members directly a good source of info too. Hope that helps :)

He is asking about Star Citizen... ;)

This thread should probably be in Off-Topic BTW. :smilie:

Star Citizen is kind of a drag for new commers to learn about. CIG doesnt have a cumulated pool of released information, but you can always go through the wingmans hangar Q&A transcripts. Many many questions were answered, and a ton by CR, the man himself!

Jump points also have good info in them, if you sub. Nothing that isnt publicly available for the most part, but still good. Will give you a strong idea of how ships are being built (and their level of detail!) and the teams mind set.

There are a few community guides which have a ton of information. I just downloaded a 100 page accumulation of information. No clue on its worth, i've yet to even open the .pdf.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...000-word-manual-on-everything-star-citizen/p1

Check it out if you'd want. Its all sourced so it should be legit.

Last edited:
Star Citizen is kind of a drag for new commers to learn about. CIG doesnt have a cumulated pool of released information, but you can always go through the wingmans hangar Q&A transcripts. Many many questions were answered, and a ton by CR, the man himself!

Jump points also have good info in them, if you sub. Nothing that isnt publicly available for the most part, but still good. Will give you a strong idea of how ships are being built (and their level of detail!) and the teams mind set.

There are a few community guides which have a ton of information. I just downloaded a 100 page accumulation of information. No clue on its worth, i've yet to even open the .pdf.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...000-word-manual-on-everything-star-citizen/p1

Check it out if you'd want. Its all sourced so it should be legit.

Agree... as shiny as their website is, it is a nightmare to find the newest info other than through the Hanger Videos, which frankly are not my cup of tea. Apparently there was a video that showed off their latest cockpit designs, but could i find that video? no.

I know enough about SC to know I will likely buy a copy when it comes out, but it wasn't the game I wanted to back.

In fact, i might just play the Single Player experience now it has been enhanced to be a true successor to the Wing Commander/Privateer mantle and probably dabble with the online, but i plan to be spending my time on Elite.

Thanks!

I'll give you a brief summary but you're probably better asking this in the SC forums.

I'm not sure how big the SC galaxy is but you'll only be able to visit around 110 systems within it. Though those systems should be rich with content and uniqueness as they're handcrafted.

The SC gameworld is not to scale, planets and solar systems have been scaled down in size. I think this is due to some of the limits in the Cry Engine.

As far as I know there will be no celestial motion mechanics. Not sure if planets rotate but I think they remain stationary fixed points in space. This may have changed since I last heard it.

Again from earlier posts I read (could have changed now though) I think flight is to points of interests only.

I'd suspect the flight model is pretty much the same as ED's. Not full Newtonian, not full planes in space, a bit of both.

I think players can have a big impact on the economy, more than players in ED can on theirs. This was one of the big things Chris Roberts mentioned a while back. It'll be a player-driven economy.

I think SC's missions will be far more in depth than ED's - I'm only basing this on the prequel games where Wing Commander was a mission-driven game so I suspect that emphasis will follow into SC. I think that will be one of SC's biggest strengths. They have hired a Manchester based development studio to concentrate on missions alone - especially Squadron 42 which looks to be an awesome aspect of the game just prior to opening up the persistent universe.

Most of this is based on impressions and info from a while back, I haven't been keeping up to date with the latest stretch goals and dev diaries so it could have changed by now. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can update the info and add to it for you :)

I'd suspect the flight model is pretty much the same as ED's. Not full Newtonian, not full planes in space, a bit of both.
I'm fairly sure theirs is not going to be pitch and roll based though (as it will be in Elite based on latest information). It's more likely to be more pitch and yaw, like Wing Commander. May sound like a subtle difference, but would give them a totally different feel.

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure theirs is not going to be pitch and roll based though (as it will be in Elite based on latest information). It's more likely to be more pitch and yaw, like Wing Commander. May sound like a subtle difference, but would give them a totally different feel.

ED is all of them :S (Pitch, yaw, roll)

Now admittedly you can't do all without switching off your flight computers and have to manually correct your rotation.

That was the last I heard from Mike E.

Now admittedly you can't do all without switching off your flight computers and have to manually correct your rotation.

Pitch and roll based, as in, incentivising the use of roll. Yaw is there, yes, but appears to be much slower than pitch, so in combat it would be used for fine tuning rather than making tight turns.

This is all from Mike from the latest Newsletter topic.

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier

I've never said that, you can pitch, yaw and roll as much as you like at the same time if desired. Though your yaw rates are no way near as good as your pitch and roll rates.

I learnt how to use roll and pitch to turn in the original ELITE back in the 80s.

I've been lamenting that in later games since (never played FFE, or any other Frontier games), none have "caught on" to this idea. It felt so natural to me to be using this method to fight in space rather than the "space aeroplane" model.

Glad to see ED still using this formula :)

@ Mike, will I be able to manually adjust turn, roll and yaw rates? Turn and roll has always been a bit of a struggle for me to adapt to being as I am an Elite II nutcase :eek:

No biggie if it's not because I will adapt in anycase, just wondering is all.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom