The Things are coming, we cannot stop them ... and we need your help!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've got about 15 of these saved in my in-box. I tried to locate the first few I received after 2.1, but the coordinates don't seem to be correct. Then I read that the coordinate system on planets was backwards. It was at that point that I chalked these up as yet another BUGGED new feature and have ignored them ever since.

I would be more than willing to check them out if they remain viable over time, AND I can find out how to locate them using the BOGUS coordinates they give you. :)

unfortunately for jaques, it seems plots and the such are all bubble centric in how they are progressed and how they are started. Even the mystery of the Rift requires players be in the bubble to get the next clue - being out in the rift is kind of a waste without any direction. If we're to believe Drew, we should expect some plots to restart in a week or so and that means being in the bubble to catch the local news/galnet/mission hints.

My point is: However you wish to dress it up these are not written by 'pilots', they are written by paid employees of FD. It's just sloppy writing and if they can't string together a few basic sentences in English then it makes one wonder of the calibre of the people on the team. There is a vast difference between a user quickly scribbling a tweet or forum reply and an employee sitting at a desk in company time being paid to enter content into a game. When the game has so little depth and the devs then rely on text to add 'content' you'd think they'd at least make an effort to get it right.

I suspect you'll find that the "writers" are the coders. Whilst they may be very good at coding, their proof reading skills may be below par. A quick sweep of the text usually shows no problem, though with closer examination grammatical errors are obvious.

It would be nice if these little issues were given a touch more attention, though, really, I'd prefer attention be given to gameplay. Having said that, proof reading takes relatively little effort, compared to squishing bugs...

Z...

unfortunately for jaques, it seems plots and the such are all bubble centric in how they are progressed and how they are started. Even the mystery of the Rift requires players be in the bubble to get the next clue - being out in the rift is kind of a waste without any direction. If we're to believe Drew, we should expect some plots to restart in a week or so and that means being in the bubble to catch the local news/galnet/mission hints.

Yes the bubble centric nature of how the game works is a bit disappointing, the most creative so far has been sothis and the maia bubble, the devs have yet to really even use quince.

Well for anyone else wanting to help prepare for alien incursions who isnt bubble centric the above call for meta alloys and support for jacques remain, its going to take mroe manpower to get the devs attention, we have a good solid core of about 100 commanders here now but that needs to grow.

Ok, you're entering a heavily tinfoiled area:

I don't think this has to be the Thargs. The pilots are talking about lights- could it be some of the point-light artifacts we see in hyperspace?

All the pilots crashed as a result of interaction with these Unknown Entities. It might be a side-effect of their tech- just like the UA accidentally started dissolving ships and stations.
Today, Drew mentioned we want to get ready for something by getting friendly with the Engineers, which means engineers can alter something that will counteract whatever the unknown entities use- whether it's a weapon, or a side-effect. We need to identify the most likely modification- I'm just grasping at straws here, but it might be some kind of Shielded Power Distributor, or something?

What can knock out all systems in a ship? What's the logical weak point?

Powerplant, FSD, and perhaps thrusters. Your ship will work fine with any other module disabled, though your air reserves may limit your journey should you choose to fly with those active only.

Z...

Powerplant, FSD, and perhaps thrusters. Your ship will work fine with any other module disabled, though your air reserves may limit your journey should you choose to fly with those active only.

Z...

My money is on FSD. we don't experience it in Elite at the moment, but misjumps are a big deal. You could come hurtling out of witch space and collide with a planet at amazing speeds if all doesn't go as planned

I suspect you'll find that the "writers" are the coders. Whilst they may be very good at coding, their proof reading skills may be below par. A quick sweep of the text usually shows no problem, though with closer examination grammatical errors are obvious.

It would be nice if these little issues were given a touch more attention, though, really, I'd prefer attention be given to gameplay. Having said that, proof reading takes relatively little effort, compared to squishing bugs...

Z...

Please, file a ticket if possible, be let's put this derail to rest please. :)
Thanks.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I've got about 15 of these saved in my in-box. I tried to locate the first few I received after 2.1, but the coordinates don't seem to be correct. Then I read that the coordinate system on planets was backwards. It was at that point that I chalked these up as yet another BUGGED new feature and have ignored them ever since.

I would be more than willing to check them out if they remain viable over time, AND I can find out how to locate them using the BOGUS coordinates they give you. :)

That would be awesome if you could take the time to check them.
I've added my list to the OP in the order I received mine, we may be able to compare them then.

Deleted member 38366

D
This just in (busy with other tasks so I can't be bothered).

ELITE-TipOff_13072016_0920GMT.jpg
ELITE-TipOff_13072016_1102GMT.jpg
ELITE-TipOff_13072016_1128GMT.jpg

(13 Jul, 0920GMT, 1102GMT, 1128GMT)

--- Edit 3 ---

3rd one for this morning. These things are a dime a dozen it seems... Pretty much feels like RNG Spam by now - and I'm not interested in RNG Spam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried shooting the cargo rack?
It might drop some interesting stuff.

Yes indeed I tried to shoot it after the scan but it was indestructible and I even tried to scoop it up but nope ...
I wasn´t aware that these tip offs aren´t unique :O. If I´d knew that I wouldn´t have gone there but it was fun anyway ...

Link to album with 5 screenshots from the site:
http://imgur.com/a/rSDnh

(and yes i got a Cobra MK III kit :D )

Last edited:
My money is on FSD. we don't experience it in Elite at the moment, but misjumps are a big deal. You could come hurtling out of witch space and collide with a planet at amazing speeds if all doesn't go as planned

WAIT! HOLD IT! No, you can't. Our FSDs are based heavily on Alcubierre Drives, so by the time you get near enough to a planet to smack it at any good speed, you wouldn't have any speed to smack it with. And if you dropped out of SC or hyperdrive at more than 1% throttle, not only would every law of physics break pending your faster-than-light entrance into normal space, you would be instantly disintegrated by the absurd number of random particles floating in space, hitting your ship. For reference, entering normal space faster than C without a protective field, even in Elite's standards, is the galaxy-scale equivalent of dividing by zero. Imagine two black holes colliding in a populated system.

It's a good thing Jaques Station is outside the inhabited areas of human space. We will need a fallback point that isn't easily accessed in the war to come. It seems like these are tests of our abilities to defend ourselves and so far we aren't doing well. And the fools in the Federation and Empire keep bickering over outposts and expansions. If it comes to open war God help us all. We definitely won't be ready when They hit us all at once.

It's a good thing Jaques Station is outside the inhabited areas of human space. We will need a fallback point that isn't easily accessed in the war to come. It seems like these are tests of our abilities to defend ourselves and so far we aren't doing well. And the fools in the Federation and Empire keep bickering over outposts and expansions. If it comes to open war God help us all. We definitely won't be ready when They hit us all at once.

Question: What happens if the Thargoids ignore Jaques entirely, attacking from the other side of the bubble?

What if jaques was replaced by a thargoid copy intended to deplete the bubble's reserves of MA's, leaving the entire human race susceptible to UA contamination?

This just in (busy with other tasks so I can't be bothered).

http://www.falconfly.de/temp/ELITE-TipOff_13072016_0920GMT.jpg http://www.falconfly.de/temp/ELITE-TipOff_13072016_1102GMT.jpg http://www.falconfly.de/temp/ELITE-TipOff_13072016_1128GMT.jpg
(13 Jul, 0920GMT, 1102GMT, 1128GMT)

--- Edit 3 ---

3rd one for this morning. These things are a dime a dozen it seems... Pretty much feels like RNG Spam by now - and I'm not interested in RNG Spam.

Just got one of these while completing a high value Elite mission. Its an exact copy of the Avan A2 as posted above by 'Falconfly' and only three jumps away at 103ly so I will try to check it out tomorrow in the AspE.

Update: Ok checked this one out, it's no different to the one's already posted here, nothing interesting or suspicious here just the message about hope of rescue and low food supply.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom