Distant Worlds II Event The Trans-Galactic Metallicity Survey

Link:

The Trans-Galactic Metallicity Survey
A Distant Worlds 2 Scientific Research Project

SCk2c9vm.png

"From observation, we know the temperature of some stars. We know the size of that star, and we know something called its metallicity, or the types of periodic elements that make up the star’s composition. Some of the older stars actually have very low metallicity, and we factor that into the elements that are there in that specific star system."
- David Braben on the Stellar Forge

Joining the Trans-Galactic Metallicity Survey provides an opportunity for participants to perform real science during the expedition, advancing our understanding of how the Stellar Forge works and how the map of the galaxy it produces matches or differs from real world observation. The method of data collection has been tweaked to eliminate needless procedure and minimize the amount of manual record keeping required.

How does this work?

This Survey works against data in EDSM, but only data of a high enough quality. To guarantee the quality of the data, we'll use data from systems that pilots scan during Distant Worlds 2, following a simple technique:

jNvwsct.png

• Ensure you are set up to upload scan data to EDSM
  • Only collect data where the primary star is class F, G, or K
  • Scan the primary star and the nearest gas giant, if any
  • Keep a list of the systems you scan this way, even if they do not have a gas giant
  • Periodically send your list of systems to Satsuma

The result of all this will be a low resolution map of metallicity across the galaxy. As the number of systems scanned grows, we may be able to increase the resolution of this map, examining how metallicity changes as you go up and down from the galactic plane, how it changes in the neutron fields and the zones of suppression, and other artifacts of the Stellar Forge.

TGMS-Bookmarks

I’ve written an EDDiscovery plugin called TGMS-Bookmarks to help make it easier to keep a list of scanned systems. It binds the Scroll Lock key to a routine that creates a bookmark named after a system. These can be copied into a text or Excel file and sent to Satsuma.

Why are we doing this?

Knowledge! We know that the Stellar Forge takes metallicity into account, but we don't have an easy way to see metallicity in game. However, recent research points to a correlation between the mass of a star, the presence of gas giants - both values we can see - and its metallicity.

FAQ

Q: Is there a team for this?
A: This survey is part of the larger Distant Worlds 2 science project. Anyone is welcome to participate, and any amount of data will help! Join us! Let's science the hell out of the Stellar Forge!

Q: Is this for PC players only?
A: While I'll happily take data from console players, there is no easy way to get data from a player's console to EDSM. Some console players have successfully manually input their scan data, but it is extremely labor intensive.

Q: Is there an easier way of keeping lists of scanned systems?
A: If you're an EDDiscovery user, you can use the TGMS-Bookmarks plugin

Background - Optional

The Trans-Galactic Metallicity Survey attempts to infer metallicity on a regional level through statistical examination of scan data. The initial survey will build upon a correlation discovered by astronomers Debra A. Fischer, Jeff Valenti, and Ji . This correlation noted that high metallicity stars are much more likely to have close-orbiting gas giants than low metallicity stars. Since this is a statistical correlation and not an absolute, we cannot use it to determine metallicity of individual stars, but we can examine stellar data over a region and use it to infer the metallicity of the region. The Stellar Forge is known to have used regionwide metallicity data when generating the bodies within a region, so it is my hope that this survey will result in meaningful data.

Sample data:
RegionNsysNggP = Nsys/NggMetallicityConfidence
Eol Prou877730.083lowmoderate
Initial metallicity data of the Eol Prou region, centered around Y = -700. Data courtesy of Taen
Nsys = Number of star systems
Ngg = Number of gas giants

This sample data details a region outside of the central bulge of the galaxy (Colonia), far enough away from the galactic plane that it compromises a boundary between the thin and thick galactic disks. We could expect metallicity to be low in this area, and it is.​

Last edited:
Hey cool. Since I play in VR, anything where I'd have to manually take notes would be a no-go, but with the plugin, I might manage this. I'll just map a button to scroll-lock somewhere. I'll try to remember to check on this again later.

So all you're after is a list of F/G/K primary systems scanned during DW2?

Bulk at the end or periodically through out?

Yep! The more scans the better, but the only thing you need to scan are the star and the nearest gas giant. As for how you give me the data, it's up to you if you want to save it all up or send it to me periodically. I'll be writing up some initial results from the data crunching as we go, though. So if you send me data, say, once a week or so, then we'll be able to see more results as we're travelling.

Hello, I've joined DW2 recently and took interest in your Metallicity Project. I did also read as a console player, I'd have to manually input data. I was wondering the extent of this labor, and if you had a template or list of information you are looking for and where to find it in game? I'd be thrilled to participate in some real science and statistics for the community if it doesn't interfere with gameplay too much. :) Anyway, thank you in advance, and fly safely in the black...

-CMDR Mojo-

Mojo, I'm terribly sorry, I could have sworn I sent you a reply.

Unfortunately EDSM doesn't sync scans with consoles, and doesn't allow manual data entry, so you would have to take manual notes. We don't need a lot of data from each system, so hopefully it's not too onerous:

• We're only interested in systems where the primary is class F, G, or K. Don't keep notes on other systems
  • Scan the nearest gas giant, if any
  • Write down the system name, the stellar class, and the orbital period of the nearest gas giant, if any, in days

So your notes for a system might look like:

Smeagol UX-I b23-3, F, 744.5
Gollum RI-N g66-6, K
Stella SC-N d19-6, K, 234.5

No worries... That sounds very reasonable. I'm not familiar where I find the Orbital Period in game, but I'll look for next time and let you know if I have any questions. You can count me in. I was thinking of recording the data in Excel and just sending it to you when it's appropriate?

-CMDR Mojo-

Update! You can link your console commander as of 3.3. Go onto Edsm and select console link(or something like that), and you will sign in with your PS or Microsoft account. Right now I don't quite know how it works, apparently I've visited only 2 systems 571ly apart.

Just as a note, EDSM now syncs with consoles. I am not sure if it syncs exactly what is needed but I'm on PS4 and now it syncs up. This is my profile if anybody wants to look and see if it provides what's needed on consoles: https://www.edsm.net/en/user/profile/id/67845/cmdr/HunterMemnoch

Edit: Lol I left this reply pending on my laptop last night. I just saw it and hit Reply without noticing thundernuns already had. Should have refreshed.

Thundernuns you need to go into the console updater and hit Start. It will only collect data as long as the web browser tab is open and syncing.

Last edited:
According to Anthor, it only syncs your flight data, not your scan data, so manual tracking would still be required for console commanders.

No worries... That sounds very reasonable. I'm not familiar where I find the Orbital Period in game, but I'll look for next time and let you know if I have any questions. You can count me in. I was thinking of recording the data in Excel and just sending it to you when it's appropriate?

-CMDR Mojo-

Yep, that would be perfect! Thank you!

This in intriguing. By "scan" you mean FSS, or would you like probes sent at them?

Just to clarify, if I use EDSM [which I do], then all I have to do is scan the star and nearest gas giant of F, G, and K class stars? Should I keep a log of all systems that I did this (& checked for any gas giants?)

I use EDMC so it will log every system I go through. I can filter to just use F G and K stars, but will the data be useful if it logs everything not just the star and first giant?

I use EDMC so it will log every system I go through. I can filter to just use F G and K stars, but will the data be useful if it logs everything not just the star and first giant?

That's my concern, I use EDD & EDSM and let's say I go to an F Class Star and don't run an FSS or miss the closest gas giant during my FSS. If everything is automatic and I miss scans (say im in a rush) then some of the data could be skewed?

Last edited:
So I prefer to use EDMC and Captain's Log while exploring (I've always preferred Captains log's interface) Satsuma is there any way to make a EDMC plugin (Like the Hutton Truckers one for example) to do this like EDDiscovery? Or could I send cleaned up excel from Captain's log periodically to you try to filter out the non F,G,K stars before sending?

Here's their plugin site for reference https://github.com/Marginal/EDMarketConnector/wiki/Plugins

Let me know

Last edited:
This in intriguing. By "scan" you mean FSS, or would you like probes sent at them?

Just to clarify, if I use EDSM [which I do], then all I have to do is scan the star and nearest gas giant of F, G, and K class stars? Should I keep a log of all systems that I did this (& checked for any gas giants?)

I just mean FSS, you don't need to send probes. I only need the primary star and the nearest gas giant (if any) scanned.

The data will only be useful if you send me a list of systems that you've actually scanned, otherwise it'll throw off the statistics.

So I prefer to use EDMC and Captain's Log while exploring (I've always preferred Captains log's interface) Satsuma is there any way to make a EDMC plugin (Like the Hutton Truckers one for example) to do this like EDDiscovery? Or could I send cleaned up excel from Captain's log periodically to you try to filter out the non F,G,K stars before sending?

Here's their plugin site for reference https://github.com/Marginal/EDMarketConnector/wiki/Plugins

Let me know

It looks like it's possible. EDDiscovery already has a bookmarks tab, which made it easy to write a plugin to create a bookmark automatically. It looks like with EDMC, you'd have to write something that wrote the system name to a file or something, instead, but then you could send that file to me.

Top Bottom