The UI

Not denying that EDO UI has some nice improvements, but Horizons UI was more efficient AND could be also improved with some of the stuff introduced in EDO UI.
All in all, i pretty much like the Horizons UI better.
And i'm not a fan of Big Tiles interface either (carriers, stations, bookmarks, etc). It does make sense in a Touch UI for fat fingers, but not so much in a kb/m or controller UI
I believe Odyssey UI was made more console friendly. So they can navigate with ease using that big circle or square or triangle...

Odyssey UI will get there, I'm sure. I don't like a lot about it, but I do get where its going.

There's some clunkyness with it and a few bugs still...
Like passenger mission cabin selection with mouse not working on the top row, yet with my hotas it does, but when I press up to go to the cabin selections I get an underlying "faction popup" first, that clearly shouldn't be there, it pops up from nowhere.

Then inconsistencies, like go to passenger missions, hand some in and it returns you to "normal missions" interface instead.

I'm also not a fan of how the menus in the galaxy map (like POI's) work, such as select landable surfaces in the poi menu, then change the info shown on the right popup, to view the info I want, then have to go back to poi's icon and back to surfaces etc.. etc

Not user friendly and not efficient, at the moment, but as above.. I'm sure it will get ironed out eventually.

You're gonna eat your own brains? o_O
WARNING !! Disturbing content.

ee08fd8ca9cd60529a29ea7812487cc2.gif

Many people told FDev during the Alpha that the new UI's were really bad, but they released it anyway.
It's taken 2 months, but the new UI is pretty much back to the functionality and usability of Horizons. Great work FDev (yes, that's sarcasm )
Personally I prefer the Horizons UI for the GalMap and System map, it's much nicely and cleaner.

I believe Odyssey UI was made more console friendly. So they can navigate with ease using that big circle or square or triangle...

Not sure about that.
I play on XB with the controller and i find it harder to navigate the tiled interface on Carriers or the right menu (engineers/carriers) in Horizons.
Especially when tiles were uneven.

Proof that FD is completely clueless re ED is the UI debacle.

Have CMDRs complained about ED's UI? Yes. So what did do? Overhaul it in a manner that exacerbates precisely the issues CMDRs have had.

In a functioning company, failures like these would see the responsible heads rolling.

On the system/galaxy map: Click-and-hold to route to mission destinations, bookmarks, stations in lists, etc. saves me a lot of time. Not having to fight the "on hover" menu consistently hovering the wrong thing is nice too.
Totally forgot about fighting the on hover menu bit. Yeah, I don't miss that too.

I've only been back in Horizons a handful of times since Ody launch.

On the missions board: sorting missions alphabetically by destination system and then alphabetically by destination within system makes it much easier to pick out the ones going where I'm going ...
Did not know this is possible. Where are the controls for that? Mouse-click the heading somewhere?

the display of material rewards is nicer
Isn't it?

Did not know this is possible. Where are the controls for that? Mouse-click the heading somewhere?
It's just the default order in Odyssey, at least for non-passenger missions.
(May be slightly confused by all missions to surface destinations being sorted below all missions to orbital destinations, but it's alphabetic by system within those groups)

Not sure about that.
I play on XB with the controller and i find it harder to navigate the tiled interface on Carriers or the right menu (engineers/carriers) in Horizons.
Especially when tiles were uneven.
Yeah, I can see that, but I usually use the hat switch on my stick, similar to a d-pad on a controller, for navigating those interfaces. I mean, if I just landed then my hand is already on the stick.

I only occasionally use the mouse on those, at least until I get into the sub menus that is. Then a mouse is extremely handy. Especially in the Commodities Market and Outfitting.

It's just the default order in Odyssey, at least for non-passenger missions.
(May be slightly confused by all missions to surface destinations being sorted below all missions to orbital destinations, but it's alphabetic by system within those groups)
Oh, I thought it was sorted by distance from current location, within each category.

well, bye then

Personally I prefer the new UI 🤷‍♀️

Pretty much this.

Really, spend some time to get used to it. It is an improvement over the old UI, you just need to get used to it.

One of the major issue and source of complaint from other cmdrs (other than the performance optimization issue) seems to be coming from people that are struggling to get out of their comfort zone.

ive been a longtime player of Elite and its somewhat of a love hate relation at moment for me. even tho oddessey runs ok'ish.. what has been done with the UI is absolutely horrible. the carrier UI wasnt good. but changing the station UI into that was not needed and is a straight up downgrade.

is there a way to get the old UI back in Oddessey? if not, ill just go play something else that isnt headacke inducing.
and dont even get me started about the Galmap UI.

if it aint broke, dont fix it.
Once you get used to it, it all starts to make sense. I now much prefer the new UI over the old, and I certainly don't want to go back to that old one.

The initial offering with the new UI was missing too many functions in comparison to the Horizons one. This appears to be 'fixed' (for the use I give the UI) and I'm heppy enough using it - going back to Horizons on the one account that doesn't have Odyssey now feels strange, odd, isn't it?

Top Bottom