The Vive discussion Thread

Can others please check their graphic card temps when using the Vive with Elite since the patch release today please. A couple of us tonight using the Vive have noticed significant increase in temps high 70's up to 80C while playing, so much so that it started causing artifacts in the Vive.

Would appreciate anyone else who finds this to post results please. We have tested with other Vive titles with no heat issues but as soon as starting Elite with the Vive the temps on 1080 cards and 980 cards are skyrocketing. Had no issues with the game earlier today until the patch installed.

Last edited:
Are you sure? My SteamVR rtm is set to 1.6, my HMD quality in ED set to 1.5. I'm running fine and not at what would be 3.1 if they were summed...

Not summed; Multiplied.

...so 2.4, which admittedly is still taxing, although now that reprojection runs asynchronously it smoothens over framedrops quite well (If you get lots of reprojected frames, you should see a sliver of black coming into view when you turn your head quickly).

And no, I am not sure. :)
But it is consistent with a how all of a sudden after, I believe it was 2.2.0, the game got really choppy and I and others had to drop HMD Quality to x1, which then produced the same sharp image and readable text as x2 had before, but is lost if rtm is also reduced. :7

Hello everyone. I encountered major problems with Elite in VR, maybe you can help me here.

My system has a overclocked AMD R9 Fury running at 1025mhz and an i7 3770.

1) Eyefinity
In 5760x1080 (triple display) the FPS are as follows:
stations: 85~90 FPS
outside stations: ~100 fps
planets: ~90 FPS
Details set to high including SMAA.

2) VIVE
In VR on the other side with everything set to low I still cant achive any Frame times below 16ms! I get really low FPS and an additional graphical issue showing colored artefacts around the viewport. This is definitly rendered by the game while it is also showing up in the reprojection window on the desktop!

Heres an example:
dPQYQFN.jpg

I tested this on a friends system with a slower i5 cpu and a GTX 970 and there we can achive way better performance in VR mode even in higher details and higher rendering target multiplier. Something is defintly not right here while ED is the only game showing the graphical issues AND the poor performance.

Remove the overclock from the Fury and run it at stock speeds. It my be ok in other games but all games react differently to a card that's overclocked beyond it's limit. Only way to be sure is to run the game at stock speeds and see if you get the same issues.

Last edited:
Do you have this?:

In SteamVR settings :

☑ Allow asynchronous reprojection
☐ Allow interleaved reprojection

Dree

I have a problem when looking at side panels in my VIVE. I have to look slightly below them or else they disappear. It feels like the field at which they activate is shifter upwards, it's hella annoying. Can anything be done about that?

I haven't experienced that, but the raycasting targets were reduced in size at some points in the past, because it was felt the panels persisted a little too much. Now, though, it is hard to get them to stay up instead; The comms panel in particular is really annoying, with how it closes and resets when you try to read the bottom half of any message. :p

The solution is pretty simple as far as I am concerned: Make the tagets larger again - even past full panel size, so that you can look a little off them without them closing, and add a single button to toggle open-on-gaze on and off.

(EDIT: Like many, I have given up on the functionality and assigned the panels to a hat, or shift+hat, instead, but that is really unnecessarily clunky.)

Last edited:
Do you have this?:

In SteamVR settings :

☑ Allow asynchronous reprojection
☐ Allow interleaved reprojection

Dree

Yes, got everything set up as recommended from the start. Its not that the game just has some judder from time to time. It just doesnt put out any frames below 11ms! Even with SS of 0.5(!) and renderTargetMultiplier of 1 plus low settings I see the frame times around 16ms. Also the color artefacts are at the right border of the screen all the time.

With a GPU that is proven by enough benchmarks to be faster than a GTX 980 this result shouldnt be possible. Especially when you test it on your friend 970 and its super smooth. I tried different driver versions already, did a clean uninstall and reinstall of the drivers. Uninstalled Steam VR and Vive clean, reinstalled it again. Elite Dangerous just keeps being a rubbish VR game.

While I may easily be wrong. Just give it a shot, go in and turn -off- Async, Perf Heuristic Active = Disabled, turn off the vive camera, turn off in-game pop ups (Do not disturb mode under General), disable all the Application bits except for the dashboard-- hell even disable that temporarily, you don't need it for ED.

Launch profiler, set to VR LOW - *now* alter two settings; turn supersampling to 1.00 and HMD Quality to 1.00.

If your still having problems, I have to assume ED has poor utilization of AMD GPU's, but that's not on the Vive specifically, you'd most likely if not certainly have the same issue with any other HMD, rather my guess would be the GPU is being bottlenecked by less than optimal utilization when it's being bulked down by what is a rather intense program.

Anyway, best of luck.

Edit: Also, once you've setup the profiler and everything, double checked that your drivers are up to date, the Vive is all up to date, the game is all setup and ready to go: if your not on an SSD, defrag, then when that's all cleared up, reboot. Then give it a shot on that fresh reboot. Also, obviously, if it still isn't smooth, turn on Async, try again, disable async and try the other reprojection, still no go' then I'm out of ideas at least at 2:30 in the morning :3

Last edited:
I played with Vive for the first time last weekend and it was great. A bit blurry but smooth as glass. This weekend with the exact same set up it's jittery to the point of being unplayable. What on earth can have changed? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated because this has rather spoilt my weekend.

I've resetup everything. I've put the sync cable in. I've run DrKaii's profiler. Nothing seems to make any difference, and nothing has changed from when it was working. :(

I played with Vive for the first time last weekend and it was great. A bit blurry but smooth as glass. This weekend with the exact same set up it's jittery to the point of being unplayable. What on earth can have changed? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated because this has rather spoilt my weekend.

I've resetup everything. I've put the sync cable in. I've run DrKaii's profiler. Nothing seems to make any difference, and nothing has changed from when it was working. :(

Watch you SS and HMD quality settings. New users sometimes forget that they've been messing with them. :)

Edit: Also check that asynchronous reprojection is on.

Last edited:
I played with Vive for the first time last weekend and it was great. A bit blurry but smooth as glass. This weekend with the exact same set up it's jittery to the point of being unplayable. What on earth can have changed?

I have noticed these symptoms when there is an active* virus scan running in the background (windows defender). Disabling (temporarily) windows defender and everything went back to silky smooth. I haven't had to do this lately, but a few months ago it was causing me a lot of grief.

*I mean when it is actively scanning files, as opposed to just being on.

I imagine other background activities, even if they don't seem like they are using very many resources, might still cause enough wait states somewhere to gum up the works. (depending on the nature of said background task. I am not advocating a wholesale murdering of background processes, but see if something is standing out either I/O or CPU wise from the other background tasks when the game is jittery).

Sometimes web browsers also consume cpu or i/o resources in the background, which can be cured by either figuring out which tab/window is guilty and closing it, or just closing or restarting the browser.

Open the task manager, ask for more details, click on the details tab, sort by CPU and if anything besides elite and elite accessories is using more than 1-2% cpu, thats something to investigate. You could also sort by disk on the processes tab to see if anyting is hogging the I/O bus.

Last edited:
I noticed a new thing that ticks me off when playing in VR. I made sure to position my throttle and stick in the same space as in game but the in-game character sometimes makes a finger stretching motion. Seeing this in the corner of my eye feels kinda weird, almost as if someone took control of my body. Would be nice to give an option to disable these animations.

Looking down for the first time and seeing was a second of puzzlement for my brain the first time I put on the vive in ED.

Hello Cmdrs. Im having a weird issue with the Vive and maybe someone can help. I recently update SteamVR, updated the base stations etc and now when im flying about in space the hmd will go blank for a few seconds. It happens quite often ad its getting annoying. It seems to happen randomly, i thought it might be the headset losing tracking but im not positive. When it occurs i wiggle my head around and the picture comes back but for the last few times ive kept dead still and the picture still comes back. Could it be a gpu issue? I have a titan X. it gets pretty hot - 88degrees - i think thats still in acceptable levels. Anyone else get this?

Well,
The Vive is installed.... and I must admit that for DCS, Aces High CAP2 it blew me away WOW !!!!
Now for bad news.... for ED the image quality is terrible.... I have been reviewing all of the tips and tricks here and on reddit etc....
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/274325-How-to-get-Elite-in-VR-looking-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-D
but just cannot get smooth game play....:( Just thinking it may be ED and the AMD card.
running 4K on a 36inch monitor @ 130 FPS....with the settings maxed out. but even in VR low cannot hit 20 fps.... :(

Last edited:
Yes, there seem to be quite a few reports of bad Elite experiences with AMD cards. I am pretty sure asynchronous reprojection does not work with them yet, which would be the biggie, but there have also been several posts with screenshots displaying colourful artefacting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom