That was fit young man killing a 30-40 pound juvenile, barely counts.

I understand your point of view, but I think that if the young man hadn’t had a big rock at hand to hit the cougar on the head, the victory was less likely.

73-year old Daniel M'Mburugu killing an adult leopard that attacked him while he was farming, by shoving his arm down it's throat and ripping out it's tongue, was far more impressive.

It was certainly a very old retired leopard.

:p

Thats a fear thats difficult to overcome. Ive seen my fair share in life but I will never forget or truly overcome that memory...and that wasnt a wolf, that was a pitbull attack. It also wasnt a random accident. It made page 8 of the daily mirror last year...yay Im famous.

I can laugh about a lotta things that would horrify most normal folks, give them cause to worry if I turn on the charm offensive and start going into detail...but I got this thing about animals probably cos I prefer animals to people. Being eaten...hmm thats right up there with my fear of the dentist...I pay fer the twilight sleep even fer routine fillings, Im really not being funny thats an irrational fear difficult to even think about let alone envisage in the minds eye ^

The Pitbulls are dogs that I never liked.

More generally, I am suspicious of dogs.

Although I recognize that there are many peaceful dogs.

If you knew the amount of times I wanted to help someone fall accidentally into an enclousure at zoos or animal parks, people that keep provoking or otherwise pestering the animals. And unlike what we would expect, most of the time the people with the worst behaviour are actually the adults, not the children.

The human stupidity and the wickedness have no limit.

I can not stand the people who mock animals and tyrannize them.

Its odd that people claim wolves pose no threat whereas dogs can be extremely dangerous given they only diverged as a species 15,000 years ago. An eye blink in evolutionary terms.

Don't pay attention to all the hysteria and sensationalism concerning wolves in the wild, guys. It's nonsense; wolves do not behave that way. You have far FAR more chance of being mauled by someone's pet dog then being chased down on your bike and eaten by wolves. Actually, that's a shockingly powerful understatement seeing as how people (especially children) are mauled by dogs on a daily basis, while a quick search of the Web shows that statistically you're more likely to get hit by lightning 400 times in a row on separate occasions than attacked by a wolf. It's nonsense, the likes of which strain the credulity of even the worst Hollywood script.

I grew up in the wilds of the Alaskan bush where wolves are common-place and made my living for most of my life trecking by foot & dog team through all the wild places of the North American continent and have never once even caught a hint of the behaviors being extolled here. Now, on the other hand, if you see someone walking their Pitbull emotional support dog at the airport you might want to steer clear...

This dog should be euthanized.

Its odd that people claim wolves pose no threat whereas dogs can be extremely dangerous given they only diverged as a species 15,000 years ago. An eye blink in evolutionary terms.

It probably because dogs can have very bad owner that train them to be vicious killing machines. Wolves are not vicious, they kill when they need to eat or feel threatened.

It's also a truth. But in the case of pitbulls, then, there are many bad owners.

Bad owners are attracted towards potentially aggressive breeds due to issues with the owner not the dogs themselves. If someone's motivation is the scariest most dangerous dog they can get their hands on training and welfare are an afterthought if they are even considered at all. Its that lack of dog training and animal welfare awareness that invariably causes issues.

Anyone specifying a preference purely for potentially dangerous dogs gets marked down (under the counter) as an unsuitable owner by a lot of dog welfare charities.

Its a very simple way of weeding out the proper idiots "I want one wiv big teef" is a bad sign.

It probably because dogs can have very bad owner that train them to be vicious killing machines. Wolves are not vicious, they kill when they need to eat or feel threatened.

True. Unless he is hungry or feels you're "trespassing", it is actually very hard to even see a wolf, as he will always try to avoid you. Like most other mamals.

A typical safety measure for hiking in places with wolves, bears, etc, is to strap some cans to your backpack. The noise will announce your presence beforehand to local wildlife and they'll go out of their way to avoid being seen.

In 15,000 years of selective breeding, you can change a lot of things, modern day corn was created over thousands of years of selective reproduction.

The ancestor is called teosinte and it looks like this:

iu

It also must be said that we interact with dogs much more than with wolves, thus, increasing the chances of some accident, small odds are beaten by big numbers.

Humans, even naked ones, are really much better equipped for violence, and are far more likely to be violent, than any dog or wolf. Yet, I frequently encounter people who are skittish around dogs, but almost no one who is equally skittish around other random people.

I am greatly amused by those who think my dogs are somehow the more significant threat than myself.

I think that if the young man hadn’t had a big rock at hand to hit the cougar on the head, the victory was less likely.

His rock didn't do much, but standing on it's neck until it suffocated did.

Victory was always a given, unless the mother showed up.

The Pitbulls are dogs that I never liked.

Pitbulls get a bad rap, for little actual reason.

You can train almost any dog to be aggressive and the days are long past when the majority of pitbulls were trained to be fighting dogs. Most are just pets and they aren't any less suited to that role than most other breeds.

True. Unless he is hungry or feels you're "trespassing", it is actually very hard to even see a wolf, as he will always try to avoid you. Like most other mamals.

With good reason.

Most animals that didn't learn to fear humans don't last very long around them.

In 15,000 years of selective breeding, you can change a lot of things, modern day corn was created over thousands of years of selective reproduction.

The ancestor is called teosinte and it looks like this:

It also must be said that we interact with dogs much more than with wolves, thus, increasing the chances of some accident, small odds are beaten by big numbers.

I always laugh when people complain about GM food as that's exactly what selective reproduction is.

You are right about the numbers, dogs are more dangerous than wolves in the same way cars are more dangerous than base jumping. Most of us just never go there in the first place.

Top Bottom