Thememaker Organizer

Hey !
Now that we know what are the restrictions for the thememaker toolkit, we can assume that creating a simple object will take some time, with all the LODs, textures, etc... and I have a feeling that we won't be a lot to do it (I might be wrong on this).

That's why I created this thread. Here we can share what we are working on so that others don't work on the same items, which would be "useless" (of course it's not an obligation, just an idea for people that want to make new items).
I know that we can have the same items and it's not a problem if this is what you want to create, but there is so many items to make that if you tell me that you are working on a cow, well maybe I will work on a chicken to go with it ! (And again, not saying that one cow is just enough, but to start with one is good)

This is not a wish list, check this thread if you need something : https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/34167-What-are-your-ideas-for-Thememaker-items

Let's try to keep this organized [happy]

Here is a library of what I'm working on for now :
http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/CLEARwaterFX/library/?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:
Hey !
Now that we know what are the restrictions for the thememaker toolkit, we can assume that creating a simple object will take some time, with all the LODs, textures, etc... and I have a feeling that we won't be a lot to do it (I might be wrong on this).

That's why I created this thread. Here we can share what we are working on so that nobody else is working on the same thing, which would be useless (of course it's not an obligation, just an idea).
This is not a wish list, check this thread if you need something : https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/34167-What-are-your-ideas-for-Thememaker-items

Let's try to keep this organized [happy]

Here is a library of what I'm working on for now :
http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/CLEARwaterFX/library/?sort=3&page=1

I'm in need with the Star tours stuff :D

so that nobody else is working on the same thing, which would be useless

Okay I'm working on a cube and sphere. Multiple sizes and colours. Nobody else make a cube or sphere, as I've baggsed these primitives.

I'm also working on a vase. Nobody else make a vase because there can be only one vase.

I do not mind see people working on same object, as you can make one object in so many different ways stylistic-wise! Plus sizes! [heart]

But of course for super simple objects like extension to the art shapes I can see how this is useful.
Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the finished items.

Okay I'm working on a cube and sphere. Multiple sizes and colours. Nobody else make a cube or sphere, as I've baggsed these primitives.

I'm also working on a vase. Nobody else make a vase because there can be only one vase.

Of course you could have multiple vases, it's not what I meant. Just saying that a majority of people, like me, don't have much free time to play Planet Coaster and less to make 3D models. There is so many items to create that I don't want to make an object that someone else is working on (and a lot of people have the same ideas or have the same priorities for the first 3D models). Just making a primitive and all the LODs that goes with it could take some time for a beginner and we don't need multiple spheres and cubes (my opinion).

I'm tired of this negativity on this forum.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Of course you could have multiple vases, it's not what I meant. Just saying that a majority of people, like me, don't have much free time to play Planet Coaster and less to make 3D models. There is so many items to create that I don't want to make an object that someone else is working on (and a lot of people have the same ideas or have the same priorities for the first 3D models). Just making a primitive and all the LODs that goes with it could take some time for a beginner and we don't need multiple spheres and cubes (my opinion).

I'm tired of this negativity on this forum.

Perhaps redrum's post was meant to be sarcastic?

Anyhow, no one is going to forbid others to create the same object(s) that others are working on. There is no way to manage who creates what in the entire community, as the community is spread out on several locations, such as forums, several Discords and Reddit.

Perhaps redrum's post was meant to be sarcastic?

Anyhow, no one is going to forbid others to create the same object(s) that others are working on. There is no way to manage who creates what in the entire community, as the community is spread out on several locations, such as forums, several Discords and Reddit.

(of course it's not an obligation, just an idea)

I know that. Guess no one understand what i'm trying to say.

I don't want to forbid anything, I just want to know what other creators are making so that I don't "loose" my time making the same thing. And yes I get it that it would still be different, but look at all the things we can make for this game. Personally, I prefer to work on something new, I'm not saying that other can't do the same item, people are free to do what they want.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
I know that. Guess no one understand what i'm trying to say.

I don't want to forbid anything, I just want to know what other creators are making so that I don't "loose" my time making the same thing. And yes I get it that it would still be different, but look at all the things we can make for this game. Personally, I prefer to work on something new, I'm not saying that other can't do the same item, people are free to do what they want.

You can announce what you are making here on the forums in the Thememaker's Toolkit section, but chances are that not every creator visits these forums, so they may miss your announcement and create the same objects anyway.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator

if people only made 1 of everything what would be the point? Hope you’re being sarcastic. There’s more then ONE vase in the world.

Experimenting

Xanadu Blender.jpg

I'm looking forward to see what people come up with. I hope people add tags in the workshop to make picking the custom items up easier. Want to try this, but sadly I have 0 artistic or modeling style. Looking forward to using all of peoples hard work in my parks and telling myself how skilled and creative i am using other peoples hard work :)

. . . Here we can share what we are working on so that others don't work on the same items, which would be "useless" (of course it's not an obligation, just an idea for people that want to make new items).
I know that we can have the same items and it's not a problem if this is what you want to create, but there is so many items to make that if you tell me that you are working on a cow, well maybe I will work on a chicken to go with it ! (And again, not saying that one cow is just enough, but to start with one is good) . . .

Great idea! I'm working on a couple of gable vents, two flexi-colors (frame is the first, slats'n'back are the second). The first vent will be metallic and what you see here (with a blank back inside the frame so it can also be used as a simple decorative item). The second will be wood -- slats in PlanCo have distinct aging details that it'll take more work, but I have hopes.

NJ7s2pZ.jpg

And at least one Holstein cow (4 flexi-colors), although I'm hoping for a herd with one or two cow models (one animated), a calf, and a bull, if Frontier allows for texture atlases to keep it from being apppalingly resource-expensive.

ex1ngML.jpg

I'll be putting my blend-files up (dropbox? What do you guys think?) so anyone who wants to can build off of them if they want to -- less need to do work somebody else has already done.

I can't even get it uploaded, 'cause I don't know how to do render levels & LOD levels, this is kinda over my head it seems

Quick tips.

-UV MAP
Your object needs a UV map. To do this select your object and enter in edit mode (tab), select all your mesh (A to select or deselect all), then press U > and choose "Smart Uv Project".

Once this is done, you can get out of edit mode (tab again). Your object has now a UV map for textures.

-ADD A MATERIAL
If your object doesn't have a material, make sure to add one in the material tab (on the right of the blender interface) and click on "new" if you don't see any material. Then rename the material to what you want. (example : rename "Material.001" to "Cow_material")
This will be your LOD_0.

If you want it to be flexicolor, just join with your .fbx in the zip folder an almost white square image (1024x1024 by example)(90% HSB) under the good name (see the toolkit instructions) <Material_01_Name>_F1.png. Make sure the material name here is the same as the one you chosed in Blender (Example : Cow_material_F1.png).

-LOD LEVELS
To make quick LOD levels in Blender. Select your object and duplicate it, and in the modifier tab (on the right of the blender interface), click "add modifier" > "Decimate". Then in the ratio instead of 1.000, put 0.8 (80%), rename it with "_L1" at the end and duplicate again your object in Blender. Then change this value to 0.5 (50%), rename it with "_L2", etc... This method is quick and easy but not perfect.
As said in the toolkit instructions, if your model doesn't have much faces, then you don't need to decimate to a very low ratio, just duplicate your L2 for example and change the name to L3. Do the same for L4, etc... Make sure to click "apply" on the decimate modifier of each LOD before exporting as an FBX

Hope it could help !

Last edited:
Quick tips.

-UV MAP
Your object needs a UV map. To do this select your object and enter in edit mode (tab), select all your mesh (A to select or deselect all), then press U > and choose "Smart Uv Project".

Once this is done, you can get out of edit mode (tab again). Your object has now a UV map for textures.

-ADD A MATERIAL
If your object doesn't have a material, make sure to add one in the material tab (on the right of the blender interface) and click on "new" if you don't see any material. Then rename the material to what you want. (example : rename "Material.001" to "Cow material")
You can now export your 3D object as an FBX, this will be your LOD_0.

If you want it to be flexicolor, just join with your object in the zip folder an almost white square image (1000x1000 by example)(90% HSB) under the good name (see the toolkit instruction) <Material_01_Name>_F1.png. Make sure the material name here is the same as the one you chosed in Blender (Example : Cow material_F1.png).

-LOD LEVELS
To make quick LOD levels in Blender. Select your object, and in the modifier tab (on the right of the blender interface), click "add modifier" > "Decimate". Then in the ratio instead of 1.000, put 0.8 (80%), and then export it as an Fbx under LOD_01. Then change this value to 0.5 (50%), export it again as LOD_02, etc... This method is quick and easy but not perfect.
As said in the toolkit instructions, if your model doesn't have much faces, then you don't need to decimate to a very low ratio, just duplicate your LOD_02 for example and change the name to LOD_03. Do the same for LOD_04, etc...

Hope it could help !

I tried this, not sure what I'm doing wrong as it's still not working =P

I tried this, not sure what I'm doing wrong as it's still not working =P

Sorry I got the names messed up it's not "_LOD_01" but "_L1" at the end of your object name, etc... And the LOD have to be in the same FBX, not separate FBX. Tried and it worked !
So you duplicate your object in Blender, apply to the copy the "decimate" modifier, rename it with "_L1" and repeat the process. Make sure to duplicate your LOD 0 object each time when applying the "decimate" modifier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom